• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey everyone. I'm trying to plot out my next shoe purchase, but I'm honestly unsure what to do.

I have a pair of walnut strands which are gorgeous... so my next shoe will either be brown or black. I dress fairly casually, so it's not like I'm wearing suits everyday. I also don't have an office job, so the shoes will just be for walking around the city and stuff.

I'm torn between getting the park ave's in a shade of brown (the new bourbon looks great) or the 5th aves in brown.

Do you guys think the sleekness of the park aves (and lack of broguing) makes them too formal? I wish they 5th aves came in bourbon, that would be ideal for me.

Also, does anyone know about Meermin quality compared to AE?

http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2034 is looking really nice as a park ave alternative.

Since you already have walnut strands, I would suggest going with a shade of brown considerably different than walnut. That being the case, plus your intended uses and casual dress, and limiting my answer to only park ave v. fifth ave, I would go with the dark brown fifth ave.

lobox42

Reaction score
A belt to match Navy Neumoks? Any of these would be suitable, I think.
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonlin...001_-1_1_image_0_N_212_212_137811_subcategory
One of those belts are available in red too.

Just took some photos of my navy blue Neumoks with some different pants, different color combinations. Hope this helps somewhat as well. :)

Gray jeans:

Khaki colored, but I personally think they go better with a darker khaki color, or brown.

Dark Green, this may be a bit out there, but what the hell. It's my favorite combination.

And lastly, black jeans:

I love to get a pair of this model just I read a review about the size I'm 9 D I have to get size 8.5 D ?? they are super cool shoes!! :)

Jayross

Reaction score
Are you sure you want a balmoral, especially a minimally brogued one such as the Park Avenue or Fifth Avenue, if you dress casually? I think its good to have a black balmoral, but if you're looking for a shoe to wear often with casual clothing, it may not be a great choice for that use.
That's a good point. I looked at the kenilworth, and while it looks good on the pics on AE's site, when seeing other pictures, something about the sole doesn't seem too good, it's almost too bulky (which considering that I am 5'11" and 145lbs, the sleek the better, which is why I like the strand and why I've been considering one of the aves.

Maybe I should go into a store and look at them in person, though.

dancingbear

Reaction score
That's a good point. I looked at the kenilworth, and while it looks good on the pics on AE's site, when seeing other pictures, something about the sole doesn't seem too good, it's almost too bulky (which considering that I am 5'11" and 145lbs, the sleek the better, which is why I like the strand and why I've been considering one of the aves.

When you do, check out the Flatiron and Parkway in person. Both look far better on your foot than in pictures. I get more compliments on the Flatiron than any shoe I own.

Last edited:

itsmejson

Reaction score
Walnut daltons today :)
IMG953575_zps7b453066.jpg

kentyman

Reaction score
[...] Do you guys think the sleekness of the park aves (and lack of broguing) makes them too formal? I wish they 5th aves came in bourbon, that would be ideal for me. [...]

On a related note, I wanted to get y'all's opinion on the formality of the Park Avenue and Fifth Avenue. I got the Fifth in Black so I'd have something I could wear to less casual events: job interviews, funerals, etc. I was well aware that the Park was the quintessential formal shoe, but it was just a little too boring, so I thought the Fifth would be a nice compromise with some simple broguing.

My question is: Just how informal do you think the Fifth is? Would you feel out of place wearing them to a funeral? How about to something that falls in to the category of "black tie optional" (such as this, which says "A tuxedo is preferred or, at a minimum, a dark suit with tie is acceptable.")?

This is probably very similar to the question about bluchers versus balmorals; you're already ahead of the masses if you have anything nice. I understand I certainly can get away with it, but I'm curious how much of a taboo it is to you.

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score

Black shell Fifth Streets made it home yesterday after a manufacturing defect in the first pair. The crappy iPhone pic does not do the boots justice as the shell is very mirror like after an initial brushing and buffing with a polishing mitt.
I am definitely becoming a believer in plain toe-ish styles showing the shell off better. And to that end, the lighter browns really bring out depth over time.
Oh how I pine for another cappuccino or walnut shell web gem...

Fifth street is such a great shoe. Love them!

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On a related note, I wanted to get y'all's opinion on the formality of the Park Avenue and Fifth Avenue. I got the Fifth in Black so I'd have something I could wear to less casual events: job interviews, funerals, etc. I was well aware that the Park was the quintessential formal shoe, but it was just a little too boring, so I thought the Fifth would be a nice compromise with some simple broguing.

My question is: Just how informal do you think the Fifth is? Would you feel out of place wearing them to a funeral? How about to something that falls in to the category of "black tie optional" (such as this, which says "A tuxedo is preferred or, at a minimum, a dark suit with tie is acceptable.")?

This is probably very similar to the question about bluchers versus balmorals; you're already ahead of the masses if you have anything nice. I understand I certainly can get away with it, but I'm curious how much of a taboo it is to you.

IMO the difference between the two is so minimal that there are basically no occasions where the Park Avenue is appropriate and the Fifth Avenue is not. Some purists may disagree, but they comprise less than probably 0.01% of the general population. And, based on my experience, if you wear the Fifth Avenue to a wedding, funeral, etc., you will probably be wearing the nicest shoes among all men there.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IMO the difference between the two is so minimal that there are basically no occasions where the Park Avenue is appropriate and the Fifth Avenue is not. Some purists may disagree, but they comprise less than probably 0.01% of the general population. And, based on my experience, if you wear the Fifth Avenue to a wedding, funeral, etc., you will probably be wearing the nicest shoes among all men there.

The first sentence above = the truth. To suggest that a straight tip bal is measureably dressier/more formal than a perf tip bal is, IMO, pure silliness.

I am removing a tuxedo from my analysis as the most appropriate shoe with a tux is a plaintoe bal.

Skyliner34

Reaction score
I like to get the Eagle County but not sure how comfortable it is. I'm wearing the strand and park avenue now in 8.5 D and I feel they are the most comfortable dress shoes I own. Anybody has or tried on the Eagle County and know how the size fit and how comfortable it is ? Many thanks

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you can check them out in person that's always a good idea, especially since AEs tend to look better in person. The Kenilworth is probably among the sleeker AEs, and is a very different style from other plain toe bluchers (AE Leeds and Alden PTB, for example). Not necessarily a bad thing, but something to be aware of. The sole is also single leather just like the Strand, Park/Fifth Avenue, etc., so I'm not sure I see how it's bulky.

Last edited:

kelwatches

Reaction score
FYI

For AE fans living in China. AE is just expanded into Shanghai!

Saw the advertisement when I was at Grand Gateway Plaza over the weekend for dinner.

Hopefully the prices would be sane.... If it is I might just get my first ever AE there = )

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
FYI

For AE fans living in China. AE is just expanded into Shanghai!

Saw the advertisement when I was at Grand Gateway Plaza over the weekend for dinner.

Hopefully the prices would be sane.... If it is I might just get my first ever AE there = )

That's fantastic. I hope they come a bit eastward. It's impossible to find good American shoes here.

I wouldn't gamble on the prices not being marked up though.

Berob

Reaction score
Looking for a more casual casual shoe and am considering the McTavish or the Neumok. Need some help being pushed towards one of them. Thoughts?

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is probably very similar to the question about bluchers versus balmorals; you're already ahead of the masses if you have anything nice. I understand I certainly can get away with it, but I'm curious how much of a taboo it is to you.

The only use I get out of my black Park Avenues is when I'm either in a tuxedo or attending a funeral. I've been with the same company for half a decade, but if I were to go for an interview I'd probably bust 'em out then as well.

I like the Fifth Avenue and Vernon and Rutledge and Harrison, but most of them aren't available in AA width and the broguing renders them unacceptable to me for use with correct eveningwear (which is my primary reason to own a pair of black shoes, and given that my eBay alert for 14AA patent shoes has been sadly silent for the last year and change).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads