Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Since you already have walnut strands, I would suggest going with a shade of brown considerably different than walnut. That being the case, plus your intended uses and casual dress, and limiting my answer to only park ave v. fifth ave, I would go with the dark brown fifth ave.

2. lobox42

lobox42 Member

I love to get a pair of this model just I read a review about the size I'm 9 D I have to get size 8.5 D ?? they are super cool shoes!! :)

3. Jayross

Jayross Active Member

That's a good point. I looked at the kenilworth, and while it looks good on the pics on AE's site, when seeing other pictures, something about the sole doesn't seem too good, it's almost too bulky (which considering that I am 5'11" and 145lbs, the sleek the better, which is why I like the strand and why I've been considering one of the aves.

Maybe I should go into a store and look at them in person, though.

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Senior member

When you do, check out the Flatiron and Parkway in person. Both look far better on your foot than in pictures. I get more compliments on the Flatiron than any shoe I own.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

5. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

Walnut daltons today :)
    [​IMG]

6. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

On a related note, I wanted to get y'all's opinion on the formality of the Park Avenue and Fifth Avenue. I got the Fifth in Black so I'd have something I could wear to less casual events: job interviews, funerals, etc. I was well aware that the Park was the quintessential formal shoe, but it was just a little too boring, so I thought the Fifth would be a nice compromise with some simple broguing.

My question is: Just how informal do you think the Fifth is? Would you feel out of place wearing them to a funeral? How about to something that falls in to the category of "black tie optional" (such as this, which says "A tuxedo is preferred or, at a minimum, a dark suit with tie is acceptable.")?

This is probably very similar to the question about bluchers versus balmorals; you're already ahead of the masses if you have anything nice. I understand I certainly can get away with it, but I'm curious how much of a taboo it is to you.

7. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Fifth street is such a great shoe. Love them!

8. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

IMO the difference between the two is so minimal that there are basically no occasions where the Park Avenue is appropriate and the Fifth Avenue is not. Some purists may disagree, but they comprise less than probably 0.01% of the general population. And, based on my experience, if you wear the Fifth Avenue to a wedding, funeral, etc., you will probably be wearing the nicest shoes among all men there.

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

The first sentence above = the truth. To suggest that a straight tip bal is measureably dressier/more formal than a perf tip bal is, IMO, pure silliness.

I am removing a tuxedo from my analysis as the most appropriate shoe with a tux is a plaintoe bal.

10. Skyliner34

Skyliner34 Member

I like to get the Eagle County but not sure how comfortable it is. I'm wearing the strand and park avenue now in 8.5 D and I feel they are the most comfortable dress shoes I own. Anybody has or tried on the Eagle County and know how the size fit and how comfortable it is ? Many thanks

11. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

If you can check them out in person that's always a good idea, especially since AEs tend to look better in person. The Kenilworth is probably among the sleeker AEs, and is a very different style from other plain toe bluchers (AE Leeds and Alden PTB, for example). Not necessarily a bad thing, but something to be aware of. The sole is also single leather just like the Strand, Park/Fifth Avenue, etc., so I'm not sure I see how it's bulky.

12. kelwatches

kelwatches Active Member

FYI

For AE fans living in China. AE is just expanded into Shanghai!

Saw the advertisement when I was at Grand Gateway Plaza over the weekend for dinner.

Hopefully the prices would be sane.... If it is I might just get my first ever AE there = )

13. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's fantastic. I hope they come a bit eastward. It's impossible to find good American shoes here.

I wouldn't gamble on the prices not being marked up though.

14. Berob

Berob Active Member

Looking for a more casual casual shoe and am considering the McTavish or the Neumok. Need some help being pushed towards one of them. Thoughts?

15. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

The only use I get out of my black Park Avenues is when I'm either in a tuxedo or attending a funeral. I've been with the same company for half a decade, but if I were to go for an interview I'd probably bust 'em out then as well.

I like the Fifth Avenue and Vernon and Rutledge and Harrison, but most of them aren't available in AA width and the broguing renders them unacceptable to me for use with correct eveningwear (which is my primary reason to own a pair of black shoes, and given that my eBay alert for 14AA patent shoes has been sadly silent for the last year and change).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.