Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Even among people who do know the difference, I think a small percentage have an issue with bluchers and a suit. And, I bet those who do wear bluchers and a suit wear balmorals if the occasion calls for them.

A story along these lines: I'm sure there are industries or companies today where a disproportionate number of men dress well and wear nice shoes. And, I like to believe that things were different decades ago. For example, when I was first starting to appreciate nice shoes, my dad told me that when he received his first big promotion and was consequently going to meet someone fairly high up at the company, his manager took him to Allen Edmonds. Apparently this person he was going to meet, and the company in general, were known for wearing Allen Edmonds. This could very well be an isolated data point, of course.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

3. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I would say that your journey might just be beginning. Looks like you need some shell and some boots.

4. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Bourbon Strands comparison pic:

[​IMG]

Dark brown fifth ave on the left, walnut strand on the right.

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I like the last for the Bel Air and Evanston. Too bad AE does not make shoes on this last anymore.

[​IMG]

6. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

The Evanston looks like a Soho with brogueing. Very nice.

7. Grytter

Grytter Well-Known Member

8. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Hard to say what those are for sure, but they are not the newly released bourbon. AE has had a color called bourbon in years past, but it was not the same shade that they released this past month. Also the welting on the PA's in the picture looks like a natural colored welt. The new bourbon PA's have a black welt and sole edge. The ones in the picture are either a custom make up, or an older color that is no longer being produced. They are good looking none the less!!!

9. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I think it's a little narrower than Brannock. I have them in calf though, so a shell experience may be different.

10. Grytter

Well that is à bit dissapointing...which color do you think is most similiar to the picture i linked?

11. MoneyWellSpent

That depends... are you specifically looking for the Park Avenue? If so, then the closest color to what you see in the picture is probably the newly released bourbon.

However, the shade of color almost resembles the Walnut Grain Leather Park Avenue. There are varied opinions on that shoe in this forum. I don't have a problem with them, but some feel like they are an awkward shoe without a clear place in a wardrobe. The PA is typically reserved for more formal occasions by most people in this forum, so the lighter color plus the grain textured leather makes them much more casual. Most people seem to go for a Fifth Avenue, Strand, McAllister, etc. if they need a more casual shoe than the PA. Personally, I think it fits into the niche of someone looking for a good business casual shoe and isn't quite "comfortable" with the louder broguing on the other models.

Sorry for the rant that you didn't quite ask for, but if you like the shoes in the picture, then you are sort of limited right now to either Walnut or Bourbon (the ones in the picture appear to fall in the middle).

EDIT: See post below, that the one in the picture is the walnut grain park avenue.

12. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

A general shoe question:

What to do about supination (sp?)? It ruins all my good shoes after a few months.

Ideas?

13. MoneyWellSpent

14. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

15. Grytter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.