1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

You could also just use renovateur on the entire shoe to preserve the burnishing, but still get some shine.

2. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

By dad bought me my first AE's when I was in college. He said you won't want to wear anything else. He was pretty much correct - I now have 37 pair of AE the oldest of which is a pair of burgundy McAllisters that were acquired in 1991 (the one's I got in college finally gave out).

Chris

3. N8ter

N8ter Well-Known Member

I have been exposed to and known about AE for many years living in the epicenter of AE country in Milwaukee, WI. When I was graduating from college (in Milwaukee) I needed a new pair of black dress shoes for interviews and wanted a plain cap-toe, so I went to a local fine men's shoe store and they had AE all over the place, but my budget wasn't getting me close to full price AE firsts at that time so I picked up a pair of French Shriners. They aren't goodyear welted, but are an ok quality shoe with a leather sole. That was in '99 and I still have them as my places of employment have been very causal since I am in software development. A pair of black cap-toe balmorals are definitely not dress code. Anyway, they are getting a bit long in the tooth and the soles are cracking so I was recently looking for a new pair of dress shoes. I ordered a pair of J&M's before Christmas from Amazon and was very disappointed in the quality of them. Poor quality leather and the stitching was atrocious. Based on that disappointment I decided it was time to take a step up and started to look at AE's and was led by their website to the Brookfield Shoebank where I discovered seconds. Taking that discovery back to the interwebs I uncovered this treasure trove thread of AE goodness. As I was debating the $259 price of the shoes I wanted, the timing was right as the $50/$150 sale hit so I jumped in and picked up Parkways as I will still use the French Shriners as my formal offerings. Fortunately or unfortunately, the AE bug had bitten and I was looking to add a pair of brown Strands. Hello BB 2nd sale! As I have 3 kiddos and a 4th on the way in a few weeks, I am done for a while, but I will replace the Shriners with a new plain cap-top in the next year or so. Thinking I will stick with AE because I enjoy supporting a local company and have been very pleased with the second offerings and price point, especially at the sale prices.

1/2/13 - Parkway - Black
    1/31/13 - BB Strands - Walnut

4. alladin

alladin Senior member

I was hoping someone could help me with AE sizing.

I am interested in the Dundee chukka boot and usually wear UK 8/8.5E. Would someone who owns a US 9 or 9.5D be able to tell me the approximate internal length if the boot?

Thanks in advance.

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

You should write this up and submit it to AE. I could see them publishing this on the website around Father's day.

6. red81

red81 Senior member

and this is why i'm afraid to buy my first pair.

7. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

Thanks everyone for the input. I did condition the entire shoe prior to polishing and wearing for the first time, including the tongue, as I always do. It seems like the squeaking sound is coming from around my heal. I think it has to do with the poron. I will try some powder in the shoe. I am hopeful that after a few wears, this will stop as the shoe is formed to my foot. It seems it is pushing air out and causing the sound. Something I do not have with any other pair of AEs on any last.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  8. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

My AE story isn't all that interesting, but I figure I might as well chime in.

When I first started wanting to replace my embarrassingly boxy Macy's dress shoes with something nicer, I looked for a brogued cap-toe and fell in love with the Strand. I wanted to get them in Walnut (before I knew that is what everyone here gets), but my "stylish" friend talked me out of it with a simple blanket statement like "I don't like the shape of a lot of Allen Edmonds shoes".

A year later, I get a text from him saying "I got some AEs and they're awesome". I replied with "If you got the Walnut Strands I'm going to f*cking kill you." He said "Yeah, they're tan'ish, so I guess that's Walnut. Got two compliments on them already today." Not wanting to "copy" the shoes he now owned, I felt a bit defeated.

But then I stumbled upon this thread and read about a new Bourbon color coming out soon, and I decided I would get these to be a little different. Next time I was in Dallas I tried on some Strands for size, and of course they looked even better in person. I told the saleswoman I would order some as soon as they came out, but she was able to preorder them for me and honor the 15% off Rediscover America sale. They arrived at my house before they were even available for order online, and made for a good excuse to register on SF and make my first post.

Soon after, I replaced my Antonio Maurizi black dress shoes (which I'm looking to sell if anyone's interested) with some Black Fifth Avenues. I now have some Tan Elgins on the way, and am in the market for some Cognac McTavishes and/or Brown Kenilworths. I'm looking forward to getting to wear these casual offerings more often, as I unfortunately have very few occasions for dress shoes; but that doesn't stop me from wanting 30+ like some of you!

1 person likes this.
  9. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

I'd love to know your size in the various shoes!

Been wondering this myself...from the research I have done it seems like the 333 last is just as long, if not even longer than the 5 last. I THINK the 333 last fits the same as the 5 last but perhaps a width down...so if you're normally a 9.5E in the 5 last and a 10D in most other lasts then a 9.5D in the 333 would fit well.

However I have no shoes in the 333 last to prove this claim.

10. delmar

delmar Senior member

I have a pair of the Haight chelsea boots in the 3-333 last. I normally wear a 12E in most AE shoes. But with the Mctavish and Neumoks I wear 11.5E. But I was at the Port Washington factory outlet and came across the pair of Haight seconds in 11.5EEE and they fit well enough--albiet a tad loose all around--and the price was right so I snatched them up. But since I normally wear 12E and these are 11.5EEE, that leads me to believe that the 3-333 last runs a bit long and a bit narrow.

11. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

My chocolate suede Saunders came in today, and let me say that I haven't felt a sole this stiff since the last pair of McTavishes I bought. I'm thinking they're double-oak too.

[​IMG]

12. N8ter

N8ter Well-Known Member

This was just discussed a couple of days ago. Spitshine and I agree that the 3 last is both longer and wider in the toe box. He feels in the instep area as well, but I have noticed that. See below.

Quote: Originally Posted by spitshine123

I agree- I also own the strand and parkways in the same size. The parkways also offer more instep space and more width, so overall it feels much bigger. The difference (for me, at least) is pretty substantial- the Parkway is comfortable for me while my strands are near unwearable

Quote: Also agree with your comments that the Parkway feels roomier width wise in the toe box and are more comfortable. My Strands are not unwearable, but the right shoe was rubbing my little toe raw on my first wear. On my 4th wear today and they are loosening up and aren't hurting anything, but my toes do feel constrained.

13. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Hey KMD, good 'sub-thread' idea. In early 2008, a co-worker friend picked up some (I think) Dryden's from the Shoebank, and told me about it. I took a chance and ordered myself a pair of Chili Delray, and haven't looked back. Was wearing mainly J&M and the odd Bostonian back then. Ended up donating all the old shoes, and started accumulating AE's, some seconds, some firsts. The collection now (9):

2 pair Delray (Chili, Black)
    2 pair Strand (Walnut, Dark Brown)
    1 Lombard (Walnut)
    1 Montgomery (Dark Brown)
    1 McClain (Black)
    1 MacNeil (Walnut Grain)
    1 Clifton (Dark Brown)
    (All calf)

J

14. delmar

delmar Senior member

A few years ago I saw a news story about how President Bush visited AE and they made a special red, white, and blue pair for him. The story mentioned that AE made shoes for presidents and kings. I hadn't heard of them but they mentioned in the story that the factory is in Port Washington, WI. I mixed Port Washington up with Port Edwards, WI which is just a short drive from me and I thought that I should check out a locally made product. It turns out that Port Washington is about a three and a half hour drive for me, so not exactly local. I am hooked. I will have 20 pairs when the football leather Neumok webgems arrive.

15. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Nice, Delmar! What are the pairs you have? J

16. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

My story doesn't follow like most. Sure, my dad owns Allen Edmonds, along with his fair share of Church's, Alden and such. He wasn't the one who pushed me into good shoes.

Once my feet stopped growing, my mom bought me some AE Hastings for my junior prom. They survived multiple moves, quite a few fraternity formals,I still have them, and they still look fantastic. Heck, I even posted a picture of them in this thread as a reference for AE whole-cuts.

Since then, I can't justify buying anything less. So, I continue on the course on which she set me. Off the top of my head, I can count at least 20 pairs, but I know there are more and there will be more.

17. bargerhm

bargerhm Active Member

Posted these not too long ago claiming they were Strands by mistake and raised some confusion as they are not Strands but the older discontinued model called Sanford's. I finally got around to instant messaging a rep on AEs site to find out what these are as I got them on eBay for ~$85 shipped. I sent him the all the model numbers excluding size and he looked them up and told me pretty much exactly this:

"They are Bourbon Burnished Sanford's made on the 7-97 last."

That was how he worded the name of the color of this particular model. If anyone would like to double check or is interested in knowing exactly what these are, the model numbers read as:
    10D 26724 6
    5347 4056 COMB

Unfortunately he was unable to look up what year they were produced, which is what I've really been wanting to know and I've only been able to find a very select amount of information on the discontinued Sanford's in this old Bourbon color especially, but what little information I've found suggests production dates of mid - late 90s, but I'm not sure about that. I would have never guessed they were Bourbon but it's Burnished, not the new darker Bourbon color available on newer models these days.

This Bourbon Burnished had me fooled as I would have sworn they were Chestnuts, possibly Walnut but the Walnut Sanford's are commonly seen with 4 eyelets instead of 5 like my pair have. Below I linked a few different Chestnut and Walnut models to show how incredibly similar they can appear, it's amazing how lighting plays an enormous roll in capturing the true color of these lighter shades of leather, I imagine the shine plays a large roll too. I did not scrutinize the links below to confirm that they were indefinitely, 100%, Sanford models but all the places the pictures were found claimed the pair to be Sanford's in the respective color indicated and based on what little knowledge I've gained in my search to find out exactly what pair of shoes I own, I'd say I'm 98% sure that they are all Sanford's and unless my sources were incorrect the colors above the links ought to be correct for the model links below.

(My own picture of my Bourbon Burnished Sanford's)
    [​IMG]

• Walnut Sanford's for comparison:

900x900px-LL-5a924546_sanford.jpeg (Notice 4 eyelets here vs. the 5 on my older model shown above)
    900x900px-LL-e8bdf08d_2012_1103AB.jpeg (Another pair posted as Walnut, 5 eyelets on this model now though)
    87a89efd_allenedmonds_shoes_sanford_walnut_l.jpeg (This photo makes them look much darker than in the 2 above)

• Chestnut Sanford's: These appear to be closer in shade to Bourbon than the Walnut IMO, I thought this was the color of my pair until today.

015f3b7f.jpg
    IMG_20120310_084146.jpg

• More Sanford's in Bourbon : (The shoe I own / Embedded above)

d9_1_b.jpg

Someone was selling some Bourbon Sanford's in this thread a while back, lots of pictures here, the two below are from this thread. http://www.styleforum.net/t/124127/2-pair-ae-sanford-8-5c-belmont-10e-used/0_40

525x525px-LL-1f64ce03_vbattach24423.jpg & 525x525px-LL-846943a0_vbattach24424.jpg (The only numbers that are the same is the '5347' which indicate style #53, leather #4 and last #7, I believe.)

After looking through all those pictures of such similar shoes, I'm 100% sure I would have never been able to positively identify what the 'proper name' of my shoes were without having referenced the model numbers in the shoe. Light has been shed on this glorious day and no longer living in the dark, I now know what I've been/will be wearing on my feet for a long time to come.

Just one thing, I was hoping someone here has been sporting the goods of the great american shoe company long enough tell me what year's the Bourbon Sanford's I was lucky enough to get my hands on, were made through?

18. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

So I got hooked two-three years ago. I asked my uncle, who's kind of a jerk, if he was wearing Eccos. He smirked and said that he was wearing Allen Edmonds and if I wanted a pair I'd have to save my pennies. Probably the only good advice I ever got from the fool. Here's what I have now:

Park Avenue - Gator, Black Shell Cordovan
    Birmingham - Gator
    Clifton - Black Sharkskin, Dark Brown
    Amok - Tan Suede
    Leeds - Burgundy Shell, Black, and a pair of old 8-last brown pebble
    Strand - Brown Shell, with a walnut BB pair on the way
    Mac Neil - Burgundy Shell (the new finish - it's awesome), black
    Del Rey - Chili
    Hillcrest - Dark brown
    Colton - Unburnished walnut
    McClain - Burnished walnut
    Wendell - Black
    Lexington - Black
    Auburn - Black
    McTavish - Black
    Player's Shoe - Blue suede
    Finch - Blue/Tan
    Horseman - Orange
    McAllister - Red White & Blue
    Broadstreet - Black/White
    Strawfut - Brown/Linen
    Dalton - Walnut Shell, Chocolate
    Bayfield - Brown CXL
    Neumok - Orange/White on order

On top of that, I'm eyeing the following:

Bourbon McAllister
    Burgundy Shell Bradley
    Bone/Walnut Broadstreet
    Blue Banchory
    Sand Suede Player’s Shoe
    Burgundy Shell Cambridge

Do I need any others to round it out?

19. robbrechter

robbrechter Well-Known Member

Jumped on waiting list for seconds of the Strand in Bourbon. Anyone have any idea what the typical wait time is for Shoe Bank to get an out of stock second in? I realize "it depends" is the actual answer, but thought I'd at least solicit some opinions based on past experience.

20. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

My BB Strands cam in the mail. Fail. Gouge in the leather, parts of the shoe are 5 shades lighter, and the brogueing is a total mess. Back they go, but I sent an email asking if they have another pair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.