Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Closest would be the Truffle shell

2. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

i definitely didn't use flash, it was just well-lit with tons of natural light i guess. or maybe it has something to do with the iphone camera. dunno.

here's a different pic (taken just now), taken under artificial office lighting:

[​IMG]

can't believe my picture caused so much confusion!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

3. OrionTX

OrionTX Member

I got the Gramercy Dublin Cognac Tuesday. This was from the recent Urbandaddy offer. Estimate was for 4-6 weeks. It took 5 1/2. Great leather, color, and fit.

[​IMG]

4. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

it still looks nothing like the "dark" brown leather lol

5. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

Here are my "darkened" browns:
    [​IMG]

6. seer

seer Senior member

Still looking good Jigg. Are you using any kind of polish on them?

7. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I tried on a pair of these (at Barney's in Boston I think). The leather/shell was very nice and they were comfortable but --- I thought they were pretty ugly. And I typically like chunky boots. Somehow, the toe seemed way too round and bulbous. Before seeing them IRL, I was quite interested in them but at that price, I couldn't get past the toe box.

8. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

Thanks-I couldn't have done it without you.

I did the 2 coats of Neatsfoot oil and one coat of Renovateur. Should I be using polish?

9. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

I hear ya. I thought they looked awful, initially, then they grew on me through more internet pics, but would likely end up feeling the same as you if I saw them IRL. Thanks for feedback.

10. adsmith4

adsmith4 Senior member

Need some advice/opinions. I recently purchased and received a pair of Cronmoks in Dark Brown. I am planning on exchanging them though for the Tan color and I think I need a 7.5E instead of the 7.5D I ordered. I contacted my local Allen Edmonds store and they didn't have the Cronmoks I was looking for, but what they did have is a pair of Dalton seconds in the 7.5E. The Daltons were on sale for $239.00 and my Cronmoks were $219.00 during the Rediscover America Sale. Should I just exchange the Cronmoks for the Tan or should I roll the dice on the Dalton seconds for only $20 more?

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Yes, call and ask them to do this for you. You should also casually mention that you need to stop ordering off the internet and just drive to the store for now on due to sizing issues.

12. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

+1

AE stores are always happy to order in a shoe for you to try.

13. joonian

joonian Senior member

My Bayfields that I got from member Closehorse (sp?). The sole on the right boot is coming off very slightly, though. I'm getting them stretched (they were too slightly narrow for me) and that bit glued back. Otherwise, very happy with these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

They do nothing for me either.

15. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

[​IMG]

I've gravitated to the Allen Edmonds stuff. I use their "conditioner/cleaner" and "premium shoe polish". Sadly, it seems to be hard to find in Canada and (as a result) fairly expensive up here. You can order it directly from Allen Edmonds, but their minimum shipping charge to Canada is around $30 IIRC. Pretty steep unless you are ordering large quantities of stuff.

In terms of Canadian retailers that carry the AE products, Harry Rosen may be your best bet. I think they charge $16 for the polish and $10 for the cleaner/conditioner. As an alternative, you could use Collonil Waterstop Colours polish, which I believe is identical to the AE stuff (just a rebranded package). It's a little cheaper; Novelty Shoe Repairs on Yonge street carries the Collonil stuff for ~$10, although they don't have every single colour shade. I believe they had the mainstays though (i.e. black, neutral, white, dark brown, mid brown, light brown, mahogany/burgandy). If anyone knows of anywhere else in Canada and/or the GTA that carry AE and/or Collonil shoe products, I'd love to hear.

Many people on SF say wonderful things about Saphir Renovateur as an alternative to the Allen Edmonds conditioner/cleaner, but the cost (and associated shipping charges to Canada) have kept me away so far. If I buy a really expensive pair of shoes in the future, I may shell out for it, but IMO the AE stuff does a pretty good job. Certainly better than what I was using for my pre-AE shoes (i.e. no conditioner at all). And generally speaking, a little seems to go a long way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.