Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

Nice. I've had these for about a year and love them. These were my first cordovans. Not to spark the whole cordovan vs. calf debate all over again, but I'm not as sold on cordovan (considering the price premium) as some. Don't get me wrong, I love my Randolphs. The ripple-creasing of cordovan suits a plainer toe such as these much better IMO than would calf. However, I've not noticed them to be any more "bullet proof" or durable than my calf shoes. My Randolphs scuff more easily than my calf shoes. Granted, the scuffs also buff out with very little effort. While they're holding up wonderfully after a year of wear, I've got calf AEs that still look brand new after 2+ years of wear. Cordovan is unique and has its upside to be sure, but I'm just not sure that cordovan is worth the price of two pairs of calf to me.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

2. otc

otc Senior member

I've walked around my office a bit and am seeing the first creases in my bayfields....and they are creasing on the cap right in front of the brogueing :(

can't be a sizing issue since I don't think these could fit any better...must just be how my feet bend. My PA's don't crease on the cap but they have notoriously short caps; my other plain cap toes have much longer caps and they also crease on the cap.

3. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

1. If the 9.5 is not tight anywhere I doubt it will stretch.

2. The color of your belt should be the same shade. If it is close enough when you are wearing both I think you should be fine, i.e., if you look in the mirror with them both on and you can't tell a color difference as that will be how other people will be viewing it.

4. gooter

gooter Senior member

That's where mine were starting to crease as well.

5. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

good looking shoe--haven't seen a photo in the wild so I appreciate it.

6. Willin

Willin Senior member

Could anyone provide photo's of the Strand Bourbon Calf in the wild? I can't seem to find any. Much appreciated.

7. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I think you indeed hit on an important point with your comment above on the PA's. Many complain that the PA's caps are too short, but for me it is precisely the short cap which keeps them from creasing in the wrong location. I debated for a long time between the Sanford and the Strand in walnut. They are extremely similar shoes with the exception of one being a blucher and the other a balmoral, and the different lasts. Both have their pros and cons, but what finally bumped me towards the Sanfords was that the creasing kept happening below the captoe in the Strand, whereas on the Sanford it stayed above the cap. I guess it is the way the 5 last fits my foot, but with the PA's I don't have to worry about the creasing due to the short cap.

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

You're wearing the wrong size if your Strands creased between the captoe line and the toe of the shoe. The Park Avenues could move the captoe line to the same place as on the Cliftons and Strands and would crease in the right place if they fit well. I have Strands, C&J and Andrew Lock captoes with a much more well placed captoe line and all have creased between the laces and the captoe line.

9. MoneyWellSpent

This is entirely possible. The problem is, the shoes were extremely comfortable. I tried on other length/width combinations to see if there was any way to get the right creasing along with a comfortable fit, and I never found the right combination. I respect your opinion and experience, but the shoes I rejected fitted well. I suppose it may be a valid question of the last not agreeing with my foot. There are certain guidelines as to where the shoe should crease if it is fitting properly, but they are guidelines rather than hard and fast rules.

10. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Please see my original post for various pics.

Edit: Or my current avatar.

11. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Interesting stuff guys, thanks for the info. Is there an AE shell shoe in particular that should be in one's rotation?

Also, I wanted to ask something about some shoes I am seeing on ebay for quite a discount (~$50). Most of them have a slit on one shoe. Is this a major defect or something that would be hard to notice when worn?

[​IMG]

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The bolded may be the issue. I was primarily disagreeing with your assertion that any shoe like the Strand with a well placed cap-toe line (as opposed to where the PA line is) will crease between that line and the toes.

13. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I also saw those shoes on the 'bay. We must be the same size. I passed on them due to the cut. They probably won't be seen if you are wearing pants, but if you are wearing shorts or pants that do not break on your shoe, it will probably be visible. Personally, that was too much of a defect for me.

14. MoneyWellSpent

Ahh, sorry for the miscommunication then. See above, where I said that for me it is what keeps them from creasing in the wrong location. In other words, the last may be prone to creasing too close to the toe on my foot. So as long as the shoe is comfortable, I am able to wear a Park Avenue precisely because the cap is closer to the toe.

15. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.