1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

I have a pair of AEs (Prentice, I believe) with a partial rubber sole and they look fine and work well in wet weather.

Definitely go wider. I am a D width, but I wear an E width in the five last AEs. I can see a snug fit prior to break in, but pain? Not sure they would ever be comfortable.

2. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

An alternative to a rubber sole is getting a cobbler to put sole guards on. A sole guard is a credit-card-thick piece of rubber that covers the fore-portion of the sole. It is very low profile and gives you increased traction on wet surfaces. It also prevents the sole from wearing out too fast and from getting wet on damp surfaces.

AE has a few models with this pre-installed. Some are Brooks models and some regular AE models. Just a word of caution about the Brooks Brothers models: they also come with a Poron insole instead of leather. The Poron has more cushioning, but I personally don't like the extra padding. I believe they also wear out faster.

1 person likes this.
  3. adamdurbin

adamdurbin Senior member

[ATTACHMENT=5324]IMG_0554.jpg (2,507k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Ebay sourced 5th avenues. I have never seen this color before - maybe it's chili? It started much brighter red, and I darkened it with kiwi cordovan paste wax. Incredibly comfortable.

4. elstinnett

elstinnett Well-Known Member

I knew they ordered the shoe from the factory, but I wasn't sure if they'd allow me to apply the coupon. I didn't see any limiting language in the email I received, so I'm think you're probably correct.

Enjoy your AEs!

5. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Pictures from AE of my Quintons that were recrafted.

I will update with my own when I receive them.

Prior to recraft
    [​IMG]

Post recraft
    [​IMG]

6. IronStyle

IronStyle Well-Known Member

Got it and that's correct - no fine print on this deal.

On another note I was checking the AE site randomly and it says a new retail store is coming in Manhattan this March in the Times Square area (wonder if they will do a similar sale structure). Nonetheless interesting for those of us in NYC to have a fourth option to size up in person.

7. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

This was the storefront that was formerly a shoe store that sold AE and Alden along with some other brands. I think it is pretty close to the 44th street store.

8. CounselorStyle

CounselorStyle Well-Known Member

Any idea when the best time to pick up some boots would be in the next couple of months? Should the retail stores have any sales going on as signficant as the seconds sale starting tomorrow?

Also, I've not seen this come up before: Thoughts on (walnut) Daltons vs. Long Branches? I mainly want a stylish boot for fall/winter to go with cords, dressier jeans, and odd trousers. The long branch seems too informal, but I'm not sure the leather sole on the daltons would be appropriate for NYC winters. Maybe daltons with a toppy would be the right call?

9. CounselorStyle

CounselorStyle Well-Known Member

All three of the NYC stores are within what I would consider walking distance of one another. The fourth seems like an odd move. I guess they want to be within lunch-break-trip distance for every lawyer, banker, and businessman in midtown?

10. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

AE, Alden, j. Press, John Lobb, all within walking distance.

11. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

AKA: The Promised Land

12. IronStyle

IronStyle Well-Known Member

Yea the website said 43rd and 6th so just a few blocks from the Rockefeller location. I know it won't happen but wish they would come downtown. There's a big shoe mania that closed in Union Square - it could be the Mecca of AE! Wishful thinking.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  13. evolved

evolved Senior member

Can anyone comment on the fit and sizing for the cordovan Dundee? I've got the Dalton and the Bayfield which share the last with the Dundee. Both my Daltons and Bayfields are in 11B with the Daltons being a little loose.

Also, any pictures of the Dark Brown Shell Cordovan? All I'm finding are the cappuccino cordovan pictures, which are aaammmmaaaazzzzing.

14. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

I prefer the leather soles but if they are going to see water on a somewhat consistent basis, go with a topy or have AE do it with the options they offer now.

As for the fit, 10.5D to 10.5E may not sound like a lot, but it is pretty wider. If the 10.5D is a tad tight, or tight enough to know you are going to be in discomfort, I would actually try on a few sizes to see what works best.

Depending on how long your foot is, an 11D might work better for you without having to go up a width size. If not, and you do have a good amount of room in the toebox, then try a 10E as well as the 10.5E.

15. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

I always try to error on the side of slightly too wide compared to slightly too narrow. My feet always have something going on due to being active so I appreciate the space

16. lostron

lostron Senior member

The rubber sole on the Brooks Brothers is actually great and I find the insole more comfortable than the regular AEs

17. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

I would always go up in width if I was stuck between two, simply because of the fact that your feet do swell throughout the day, so that extra room will always be put to good use.

18. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Is that the poron insole?

19. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I have the Dalton in walnut shell and both the CXL and black calf Bayfield's. And all 5 AE shell colors of the Dundee. The Dundee fit is somewhat in between the two other boots and just about perfect for me, I'd go with the 11B in your case. Just got the Dark Brown and Cappuccino Dundee's late last week and will try to get a picture up soon for you.

20. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I have a pair of the cappuccino cordovan Dundees. I have two other pairs of AE's (Wilbert & Hamptons) in the 1-last at the same size, 9D, and I find the Dundee to be looser fitting than the others. It works fine for me once the laces are tightened, but definitely more roomy. I'm uncertain if sizing down by half-size would have worked better, but it's fine as-is, especially if I wear thicker socks.

By the way, I don't think the looser fit of the Dundee is due to it being shell cordovan. I have a pair of cordovan Bradleys in size 9.5D (also 1-last), and the 9D Dundees are a little looser fitting than the 9.5D Bradleys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.