1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I like the 5th Ave in dark brown, but walnut would look good too. I prefer something like the Strand in walnut. Since you like the simple design, how about the Delray in chili? It is a split-toe design with no brogueing.

2. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Park ave will be fine with business casual, however if you mean business casual with khakis/chinos.. maybe not. Business casual to me is dress pants, button down, tucked in, no tie. Park aves will look great with that, and personally, i like them better than the 5th ave. The brogued cap on the 5th is pushed forward way to much, and even through the park is similar, it looks better since it is just stitched rather than brogued.

If you are looking for a shoe that goes better with chino's, look at leeds or something a little less sleek and/or brogued. If you are wearing actual dress pants, park aves will work all day long.

I can fit into a 10D or a 9.5D perfectly happy in any 5 last, however I am going with 10D's going forward because the vamp crease is centered, where as the crease in the 9.5D's are almost at the cap brogue. With that being said, half sized down to a 9.5D for the 333 last, and they fit just like the 5 last in a 10D. Crease is on point as well.

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I have Park Avenues, and I've never worn them with anything that did not involve a jacket and tie. They are a very conservative balmoral captoe that looks off with business casual. Assuming OP already has a black captoe for his interviews, he would be better served getting something more versatile, like the Delray/LaSalle, Kenilworth or one of the newer 3 last wingtips/plain toe blucher.

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

To follow-up on my last post, the AE outlets have a sale on seconds starting February 4th, that includes walnut or brown Parkways for $149 and black or chili Delrays for the same price. I don't know the price, but I like the Regent Street the more I see it as well.

5. N8ter

N8ter Well-Known Member

Awesome, thank you for the notice adsmith! I ran out at lunch and picked up a pair of walnut strands for $130. Second AE shoe in the collection to go with my black parkway. My original plan was to wait until the annual tent sale or Nordstrom's anniversary sale to pick up a pair of strands in bourbon, but I guess I will "live" with the walnut for $130. Couple of very minor flaws on left shoe, can't really detect anything on right. Very happy.

[​IMG]

6. TheCorporation

TheCorporation Member

Gentlemen

I plan to purchase a pair for my birthday very soon. Any recommendations as to where I should get them? I want to get the best price possible, without having to sacrifice much. I'm interested in some strands in walnut calf.

7. adsmith4

adsmith4 Senior member

If you are interested in Walnut Strands, call Earl or Kyle at the AE outlet in Leeds, AL. Phone number is 205-699-6566, they have the Brooks Brothers version on sale right now for $129.00

1 person likes this.
  8. adsmith4

adsmith4 Senior member

I was there yesterday and they said they had just ordered 35 more pair of sales samples.

Good Deal

1 person likes this.
  9. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

What he said. I live in the L.A. area. Any AE outlets near me?
    [​IMG]

10. adsmith4

adsmith4 Senior member

No clue, but you can call anywhere and they will ship for free.

11. TheCorporation

TheCorporation Member

Thank you for the information, I will be giving them a call once I get my size down.

12. TheCorporation

TheCorporation Member

Thank you, I plan to give them a call sometime very soon! Once I get my sizing down, I'm making the call.

13. Passat774

Passat774 Well-Known Member

Thanks, got a pair of each today!!

14. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Anyone have any experience with AE's boat shoe offerings? I like the looks of the Harbour in brown, though I know their cemented and made in the Dominican Republic. Would y'all skip AE for boat shoes and just stick with something like Sperry's?

15. adamdurbin

adamdurbin Senior member

Doctors don't wear colored laces. True. But I am a doctor and I DO wear colored laces!

I think medicine may be different from those other occupations listed. It is appropriate in medicine.

16. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Nothing in my size, unfortunately...

17. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Have some confidence and wear colored laces. They're fun and they show some individuality in an office full of clones.

18. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

I am in finance and I wear colored laces. Here are some combo's i have done

Bourbon Strands with orange laces, slim fitting Hugo navy pants with a very faint lighter blue plaid, a white and blue mini-box printed shirt, and a blue tie that had an orange sunflower-esque pattern very similar to this tie, but the blue was much darker.

Compliments all day long, and I really like the way the outfit was put together. Certain colored laces go with certain shoes. I wore lime green laces on a pair of black cap toes because of the shirt that I had on, and it looked fine, but not as good as the bourbon/walnut orange combo. My bourbon strands are currently laced with navy laces.

I think laces can be as subtle or as bright as you want, just make sure it works with the outfit. One color I can promise I will never wear to work, is red laces. Other than that, lighter blue, navy, purples, orange, and lime green... hell yes.

The way I see it, and this will come off snooty but the truth is the truth. 95% of the guys in my office are wearing ill fitting pants and shirts, wrinkled, with shoes that haven't seen a shoe tree in their life, on top of that.. polish. No one has room to talk if the subject is the color of shoe laces.... however, most of the feedback I get is always positive regarding my appearance. Some will bust my balls a little bit, but its all in good laughter.

19. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

This is a valid point. Unlike with traditional laces, colored ones need to be incorporated into your outfit. It becomes another accent color that can't just be ignored.

jjr4884: It's too bad you don't like red because I find it can work pretty well as long as the red is deep and the shoe color works with it. I think it works well with bourbon shoes and some combination of very dark, subdued greens somewhere else in the outfit (like a tie). Red is too wide of a range of colors to rule out by itself, but if it doesn't work for you, it's best to make that call like you have.

20. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

I can tell you this as well... The TSA will comment on your colored laces. They see the same boring stuff all day I suppose. Colored laces will get you compliments and maybe even faster through the line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.