• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingthisgordon

Reaction score
thanks. the gold stitching on the Mora welt is really nice. And the natural sole on the McNeil's makes it look much more $$$ than it is, nice to see that the McNeil is only a slight upcharge from a standard McNeil. In NY today so might have to go try them!

bucksfan

Reaction score
Does anyone have both the Bayfields and the Daltons? Was curious how the fit is between the two. I assume they fit very similarly, but figured I'd ask.

Yes, and yes. Very similar, though the Chromexcel leather tends to have a little more "give" than my calf or shell Daltons.

Jigg

Reaction score
I was told on the phone that I need to go through the exchange process again (for the 3rd time). I think I may just return them for a refund, it's too frustrating.

Ok, back at this. AE swapped out a pair so now I've gone from 8E ---> 8D ---> 8.5D.
They felt good in the store and I'm wearing them around the office carpet today to see how they'll fit and I'm noticing tightness in my left arch area. Will this go away or should I just give up?

gooter

Reaction score
Yes, and yes. Very similar, though the Chromexcel leather tends to have a little more "give" than my calf or shell Daltons.
Awesome, thanks. I plan on ordering the Daltons but with a different sole so I won't be able to return them if they don't fit.

gooter

Reaction score
Ok, back at this. AE swapped out a pair so now I've gone from 8E ---> 8D ---> 8.5D.
They felt good in the store and I'm wearing them around the office carpet today to see how they'll fit and I'm noticing tightness in my left arch area. Will this go away or should I just give up?
They should be quite snug at first as they will definitely stretch. As to how much tightness is acceptable, only you can answer that.

edit: if it helps, my Rutledges were borderline painful at first but now fit wonderfully.

Last edited:

Jigg

Reaction score
They should be quite snug at first as they will definitely stretch. As to how much tightness is acceptable, only you can answer that.

The left arch is pretty uncomfortable but if it's part of the cork and will settle then I'm ok with that.
Does the arch mold with the foot?

seer

Reaction score
Any thoughts or experience with the Wilbert as a casual shoe? Thanks.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So here is a random question... does anyone have experience with some of their AE's molding to your feet better than others? I don't think there should be any real difference between models in the thickness of the cork layer under the insole that would lead to this. However, I have found that my Finches have molded to my feet wonderfully, and are by far my most comfortable pair of AE's, whereas others don't seem to have molded nearly as much. Just curious about some other's experiences.

The left arch is pretty uncomfortable but if it's part of the cork and will settle then I'm ok with that.
Does the arch mold with the foot?

I asked a question related to this about a week ago, and nobody ever commented. However, in my experience you shouldn't expect the arch to do much molding. The majority of the molding takes place in the heel and ball of the foot areas, and some under the toes where the most pressure and weight are applied. In theory, as these areas sink into the cork, the arch area will recieve a little bit more support since it will stay in it's original state. All this is relative though, as the cork layer under the footbed is only around 5-6 millimeters thick. It isn't like there is a super thick layer that will end up with the kind of support that an orthotic insole will provide. As I said above though, some of my shoes have molded more than others, and I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score
Does anyone have both the Bayfields and the Daltons? Was curious how the fit is between the two. I assume they fit very similarly, but figured I'd ask.
I have the calf Dalton and the Bayfield in cxl and I find the Bayfields to fit more snugly, both in the forefoot and heel. There is also less volume in the instep. I love them both, however, and in fact am wearing my Daltons today.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-----------------------------

I really like the Wilbert - I wear mine with jeans, khakis, etc. They are very comfortable and they look great as a casual shoe.

I wear the same size in the Wilbert as about 95% of my other AE shoes.

Chris

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
I love it....very comfortable and versatile. Can wear with jeans or business casual and the rubber soles makes it a great choice for rainy days too. Also, you don't have to polish them, just condition them once in a while. A nice shoe IMO.

seer

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think I'm going to pick a pair up...

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll echo everybody else -- my brown Wilberts have been worn a couple times a week for the last few years and do the job nicely in my office's more-casual-than-business environment. The heel is kind of hollow in spots and wore through after two and a half years, but B. Nelson replaced 'em with a better rubber sole and that did the trick.

Here they are fresh from the resole a few months back when linen trousers were in order:

Jigg

Reaction score
I asked a question related to this about a week ago, and nobody ever commented. However, in my experience you shouldn't expect the arch to do much molding. The majority of the molding takes place in the heel and ball of the foot areas, and some under the toes where the most pressure and weight are applied. In theory, as these areas sink into the cork, the arch area will recieve a little bit more support since it will stay in it's original state. All this is relative though, as the cork layer under the footbed is only around 5-6 millimeters thick. It isn't like there is a super thick layer that will end up with the kind of support that an orthotic insole will provide. As I said above though, some of my shoes have molded more than others, and I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

The arch isn't so bad when I walk, it's more uncomfortable when I'm sitting. If it matters.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The arch isn't so bad when I walk, it's more uncomfortable when I'm sitting. If it matters.

Interesting. Remind me which shoe model this is? It may be the particular model/last then. The 1-511 last, for example, has a good bit of leather wrap under the arch area. Depending on how much the shoe upper wraps under the arch of your foot prior to meeting the insole, you may be feeling upward pressure from the tension in the leather upper under your arch area. That may be why you don't feel it when walking, because your arch collapses slightly and presses down on this tension, thus making it more comfortable. When you are sitting, your arch is relaxed and the upward tension resumes. This may alleviate some as the shoes age, if this is what is going on. If you are not feeling the discomfort when walking, I would question whether the problem has anything to do with the insole/cork. If there were a bump in the arch caused by the cork or insole I would assume you would feel it more during walking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads