1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sn0wman

sn0wman Senior member

I've got a few pair of Allen Edmonds and most are easy to find polish for (Merlot, Black, etc...)

Recently picked up a pair of Sanfords in oak (5267) but I can't find oak polish at the AE shoe care website, nor anywhere else. Do people use Natural on these? Walnut?

Thanks,
    -sn0wman

2. gsm1

gsm1 Member

I have noticed that this bulging is very common to AE shoes and is to some degree inherent in how they are constructed. Take a new AE shoe and put in a flat surface and look at it from the side. You will see that the heel does not come down flat on the surface, but rather the back edge of the heel makes contact with the surface but the front end of the heel does not. Since the shoe does not have a steel shank, when you apply pressure from standing the heel will flatten out. That forces the front of the heel down and that exerts lateral pressure on the throat of the shoe, causing bowing. As the shoe is worn in, the back edge of the heel wears down and the heel begins to sit on a flat surface. That causes the bowing to go away. this has been my experience on several pairs of AE, especially those on the five last. It has also been true on my shell leeds, but is far more noticeable on balmoral style shoes.

3. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

Hello everyone.

I would love to hear your recommendations about adding to my collection of Allen Edmonds. I have a nice collection of shoes that I can rotate in and out of for work but I am pretty concentrated in terms of types of shoes (balmorals) and would not mind something different (for me at least) just to diversify my shoe collection. I recently purchased a pair of black Mctavish's which I just wore for the first time with jeans on casual Friday and quite liked the look. They are my first pair of wingtips ever and it took me some courage to commit to them since I had never worn a pair before.

Our office wear is business casual which for me usually means wool trousers, occasionally but rarely khakis or chinos. Dress shirt, but no tie or jacket. Friday's is purely a denim day for me.

Current collection:

Clifton: Black, & Burgundy

Strands: Walnut, & Dark Brown

Park Ave: Black, & Brown Antibes (the latter are out of circulation currently since they need to be re-soled)

Mctavish: Black

Is a Blucher the way to go? I use to have a pair of burgundy Cole Haan Caldwells several years ago which looked really sharp when new ,but unfortunately the quality of the leather was so poor that almost immdeiately the leather developed the worst creases I had ever seen and they became so uncomfortable I simply tossed them. Luckily I paid no more than $100 at Nordstrom during a sale. Is the Leeds an AE equivalent? Recommended?

4. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Since you don't wear suits, I recommend a blucher or loafer. Isn't the Clifton a blucher?

My top recommendations would be the Delray in chili or the Patriot in merlot (get shell if the price is ok with you). The Leeds works too.

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I much prefer the new, darker shade of burgundy. Mine are the old shade. I still like and wear them but if I had to choose it'd be the new version. Your collection looks great.

6. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

I've tried on the LaSalle's previously which I believe are very similar to the Delray you recommended, however when I put them on they looked like clown shoes on my feet. Way too large / too much volume, etc.

I've never been comfortable with loafers which is why I do not own any. My comfort zone is definitely with oxfords.

The cordovan burgundy Macneils just posted look quite attractive to me. The Leeds and Macneil look almost like sister shoes but are on different lasts. How would these differ from the 5 last shoes I am most familiar and comfortable? All of my AE's are 11.5D save for the Mctavish which are 11D.

How would you judge the versatility of Macneil versus Leeds? When would one be appropriate to wear that the other would not? As for Cordovan, is it true that they would be uncomfortable to wear in summer?

Bradley's may also fit the bill. I had a pair of Bostonian split toe bluchers from their Italian cobbler collection a few years back. Those were very versatile, comfortable, and handsome shoes. The Bradley appears to be very similar but not as sleek as I remember those shoes being.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  7. Snorkel

Snorkel Member

Hi gang,

can you ID my AEs? I can't for the life of me find their name.

[​IMG]

Many thanks

8. lostron

lostron Senior member

Those cordovan shoes look amazing!

9. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

AE Drydens. Me likes [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Skwalihd

Skwalihd New Member

11. pennzi12

pennzi12 Active Member

12. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Does anyone have real life pictures of the grey cloud finish?

13. BakerStreet

BakerStreet Active Member

So glad I found this site. I've been reading the forums for the past few months...trying to gleam information. This thread has been particularly helpful. After reading about AEs, I decided to buy a couple a few weeks ago (I thrifted them) - a plain toe lace up and a loafer. Very, very happy with them. No more Kenneth Coles and Alfanis for me. Thanks everyone!

1 person likes this.
  14. krn.nyc

krn.nyc Well-Known Member

whoops

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  15. wilbromarshall

wilbromarshall Active Member

I have the same exact pair - really like them.

16. Buddha25

Buddha25 Well-Known Member

What kind of AE's are these in the picture on their website? Are these Mcallisters in merlot? And yes I am a shoe newb so forgive my ignorance lol!

[​IMG]

17. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Yes, those are most likely the Merlot McAllisters, though the Burgundy Cordovan Cambridges and Brown Jeffersons look quite similar.

Anyone know why standard McAllister plus customer V Tread Tap Sole costs more (+$25) than the McAllister with Combination Tap Sole? Is it just a funny quirk of the website, or does the V Tread Tap Sole somehow differ from the Combination Tap Sole? It sure doesn't look like it from the pictures on their website.

18. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

They probably made a batch with the combination sole. It may be market testing to see how it sells as a standard option.

19. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I contacted Jay in Charleston, and here were his thoughts:

Quote: After trying them on some more, I think the McTavish is more "snug" than uncomfortable. I wore them around the house and they started to feel alright, though I wasn't walking around in them all day. My pinky toe is still a little crowded, but I feel like this might go away after breaking in. Does this sound right to y'all?

As for the Kenilworth, I confirmed that they wear a little looser than my already-broken-in Strands. I'm concerned that with wear, they'd become too big. I'm wondering if an 8D or 8E would fit better than my usual 8.5D. Has anyone had the same experience on the 5 last when going from a balmoral to a blucher?

20. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

This pair also has a "bowing" problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.