Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Awww yeaaahhhh [​IMG]

Quote: It's comfy. The pull-up nature of the tanning brings out an incredible patina. It's rugged as hell and quite water resilient. CXL doesn't shine up like a proper dress shoe, and shouldn't be near a dress shoe. However, it can be spiffed just enough to make do in casual offices/days. My before and afters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would love to see an after shot of your Bayfields cleaned up [​IMG]

2. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I'd vote for the burgundy, since they are able to be worn with greater diversity of colors. The brown shell is great, but can be a little limiting. But, as another said, if you currently have 2 pair of dress shoes, get 2 more in calf before getting the shell PAs. The bigger your rotation, the less wear on each pair.

3. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

cordovan is so addictive! if you want cordovan, go for it. have you considered alden? and regarding color, you already have two pairs of pretty dark shoes. in indoor office lighting, burgundy shell can pass for black. perhaps mix it up a bit with a lighter color (walnut shell, MAYBE brown shell [although it is pretty dark], or--if you go alden and get lucky--ravello or cigar)?

4. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Get the brown shell Strands. :slayer:

5. bpanicola

bpanicola Senior member

Thanks. Any pictures or thoughts on the cognac McTavish. Did you Size down a 1/2 or full size on the Mctavish as compared to the Cronmok's? I have a feeling a lot of last minutes purchases will happen today.

6. theinternet

theinternet Well-Known Member

No pictures, but I did size down from my normal 10.5D to a 10D for the McTavish. For the Cronmoks I went with an 11D because I like my boots to run a little large and the 10.5D just felt too tight in the toe box for me. Someone posted some pictures of their cognac McTavish pair a few pages back if you are looking for some pictures of it in the wild.

7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

One of the first post I read on here a gentleman from NE Pa. had pictures of his while hiking in Alaska. I strongly suspect he was from WB\Scranton area and not the Endless Mountains Region. And several people in this thread have posted pictures of theirs before and after which they also use as general purpose boots, and looked worse than mine until cleaned up when they look new again. With saddle soap, Reno and HDLP they will clean up, much like one of the reviewers on the AE site for the Bayfield's who said he cleaned horse shit out of the barn and trailer with them during the day and cleaned them up and wore them out to eat that night. So do you own the Bayfield or CXL leather boots, or just like to wax inelegantly about someone that was in the big green weenie?

8. SeventyFive

SeventyFive Well-Known Member

Can anyone comment as to how either the 1 or 2 last fits compared to the 5 last?

9. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

The 2 is tighter in the toe box, and the 1 is bigger in the toe box (and pretty much everywhere else). My experience, however, is that not every shoe from AE on the same last has an identical fit. The Leeds is much more generous in the toe box than the Malvern, for instance, even though they're both on the 1. I've never been able to fit into a single shoe on the 2 last (due to tightness in the toe box) but have fit into every shoe on the 5 last in my normal size.

10. bpanicola

bpanicola Senior member

Thanks again!

11. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

True statement (bold).

I am TTS 9.5D.
    I am wearing walnut Strands (5 last) today - 9D. My other 5 lasted shoes are 9D.
    I recently purchased the burgundy shell Leeds - 10D. I also have burgundy shell Bradleys in 10D.
    I find the 2 last altogether odd, but I wear 9.5D in it.
    Moral of the story - try them on, or, if that is not possble, order two sizes and send one back..

NOTE: Some wear the same size in the 5 last and the 1 last. I could never do this. A one -lasted shoe in 9D is unwearable.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  12. perfectson

perfectson Active Member

Yep, you pulled a few Romney's in there. [​IMG] I would assume your AE's are merely your house shoes or your outside shoes when you must trek across your Castle's lawn with your hounds by your side.

13. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage Well-Known Member

Patriot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

^ Very nice, mine should be arriving today

15. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

Thanks! Funny how I couldn't see the depth in the first pic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.