Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

This reminds me of something I was pondering a couple weeks ago (below), and also leads to an interesting question: if your friend had been dressing more like you, would he have been able to bring those women back to your place in the first place? Perhaps he still would have been able to, considering your shoes did not ultimately turn off the one you...landed. But it still calls into question the motivation for dressing in a timeless style that, like it or not, is sometimes not appreciated and perhaps detrimental to some male causes.

2. theinternet

theinternet Well-Known Member

3. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

That is correct. I have 5 racks and there isn't very much space, but as bucksfan said you could buy
    the extenders to give more room in between the racks.

Here is a quick pic of 2 racks stacked together that I have for reference:

[​IMG]

4. plei89

plei89 Senior member

Which shoes were she referring to?

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

It took me awhile to fully realize this, but context is a big part of dressing well. There are occasions where timeless and classic look good and there are times where something a little more contemporary may be called for. That's not saying you should run out and buy the same things as your friend because you shouldn't. But, perhaps, there are some situations for a young single guy like you where certain AE oxfords may not be the best choice. For example, if you had been wearing suede chukka's or longwings with dark jeans and a casual, unstructured jacket, she probably would have complimented you. Similarly, some of the AE rough line shoes look better with jeans and a sweater than Strands do. Bottom line, as you develop your own style, you may find yourself reaching for certain AE's in certain contexts and other AE's (or non-AE's) in other situations.

6. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Well said.

7. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

I know that many of you guys have both the walnut and dark chocolate daltons.
    Do you find it an overlapping boot? I have both the dark chocolate daltons & walnut
    strands but still deciding on if it would be worth picking up the walnut daltons.

What do you guys think?

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

For me:

9D in Strand (great fit)
    9D in Kenilworth (fit not as good; more snug in length and in width); ending up getting rid of them for reasons unrelated to fit.

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

There is sufficient height for all "regular" height dress shoes. Not enough height for chukkas or high boots (so just put them on the top racks). I've been using them for years. I currently have 17 said racks in use in my master closet.

10. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I was wearing Clark's Bushacre II chukkas, but she was referring to Walnut Hales, Walnut Strands, Burgundy Cliftons and Stafford wingtip boots.

11. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

You really need to take more pictures of your collection sevenfoldtieguy. Maybe you've done this in the past?

12. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

This.

BTW I inadvertently ordered a single shoe rack on Friday, sent them an email a few minutes later explaining that I'd intended to order three to take advantage of the sale. Lo and behold, this morning the following email was in my inbox:

Now that's great service!

13. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

Thanks for the pic. A bit hard to see the 2nd row/rack (maybe it's just me?) Can you place a shoe on the 2nd row for reference? Thanks.

14. perfectson

perfectson Active Member

I guess I'm the only person that still keeps Shoes in the Original Shoe boxes?

15. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I thought there was a rubber soled version of the fifth street boot, did they discontinue it?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a rubber soled boot in the MC category, I do not like the long branch or eagle county. It does not have to be AE.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.