Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I experienced something similar with my walnut Strands (read here), and it went away with a few polishings.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  2. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I don't recall seeing the Walton discussed much here, but I could be wrong. For AE split toes, I'd personally rank it behind the Delray, Lasalle, and Bradley.

3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

And it appears the racks are also the same .....

4. sevenfoldtieguy

I have it in chili calf. It is a very comfortable shoe and one of a very few on AE's 3 last.

It consistently gets very good reviews. I use mine for more casual settings. It has a relatively wide presentation when compared to, say, 5 lasted and/or 8 lasted shoes.

5. sevenfoldtieguy

Almost never ....

6. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

For those who own the Strand and Kenilworth. Do you wear the same size in both? A sales associate mentioned to me awhile back that many people go down a width in the Kenilworth from their normal 5 last size.

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

SA told me to go down 1/2 size in length and leave width alone. I tried them on and the fit was good. Ended up not getting them, so no experience on how they would have fit over the course of time.

8. perfectson

perfectson Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

maybe it's because I don't know any better, but I really like these shoes! Amok in chocolate brown

9. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Interesting story from this weekend...

(I'm starting to think all women in my area are completely ignorant regarding men's clothing style.)

A friend of mine that I don't know to well (met him at my running club a few weeks ago) went out this Friday and ended up picking up a couple of women and bringing them back to my place. Long story short, I ended up in my bedroom with one of the young ladies where I had my shoes laid out so that I could polish them Saturday morning. She mentioned to me that she didn't like my shoes, that they were not fashionable and 'old-mannish' and told me I should dress more like my buddy (who was wearing elongated square toed suede shoes of unknown origin, a Lacoste polo with just the front tucked in and a Kenneth Kole watch). I tried explaining to her the difference between 'fashion' and 'timeless style' to no avail. We started to have quite a heated discussion on the topic before I had enough and shut her up with other heated maneuvers. Anyway...just thought I'd share.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  10. mcass

mcass Well-Known Member

I've gone from an 8.5D in the Strand to an 8E in the Kenilworth...

11. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

It seems to be a fairly versatile shoe in my opinion. It has the bulk of a gunboat, but the sleek lines of one of the aforementioned split toes. It seems to me that it would be dressier than the Bradley because of its sleeker lines, even though the Walton has a double sole. The Bradley looks more casual to my eye with the thicker hand-stitched apron. I have also seen that the Walton looks much sleeker in person than in photos online.

12. theinternet

theinternet Well-Known Member

I was able to exchange my defective Cronmoks with no questions asked at my local AE shop. They didn't have the browns in my size anymore, so I took the tan. I plan to apply Neatsfeet oil tonight. Crossing my fingers that it turns out aesthetically pleasing.

I also picked up a pair of cognac McTavish's. The pair I tried in the store fit like a glove but had a bunch of scuffs on it. I opted for another pair in the same size (but did not try them on). This morning I went to put them on and they seemed to fit 1/2 size down! Frustrating, but lesson learned. Always try on the shoes you are buying if you can, just like a pair of jeans. Back to the AE store next weekend to swap them out.

13. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

Silly question but any idea where I could buy Neatsfoot oil in Manhattan?

14. atoms

atoms Senior member

Not every person in the world appreciates 'timeless'. Also, let's be honest here....non shoe people will always see oxfords and what not as 'old-mannish'. Besides, who cares what the one night stand thinks of your attire?

15. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Oh, I don't care. I was just adding this to my earlier story about my office staff's dislike of my shoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.