1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

No need. You are correct. I did try on the McTavish and noticed that it is indeed stiffer. Though I found the double leather sole to be the major difference in perceived fit. The "rough" line covers a lot of ground and no one description is necessarily complete. Thank you for pointing that out.

2. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

This post from MoneyWellSpent may add some color:

I don't know for sure, but I assumed from this that the Neumok used a waxed calfskin instead of the Horween Dublin cowhide of the McTavish and/or Elgin.

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Thank you, sir. That certainly sounds like an accurate description.

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

If you regularly wear a suit, you need a brown cap toe.

5. evolved

evolved Senior member

I wear one at least 4x per week, and sometimes 5x depending on client meetings. And I agree, which is why I'm trying to resist the $150 Strands in black. I'm thinking maybe Park Ave's in Bourbon, or some other shoe brand, possibly. Alden? C&J? I dunno....I'll have to do some research.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  6. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I would skip the Strands in black as well as the Park Avenue in any color except black. I agree with the poster who suggested the brown captoe. The Fifth Ave in dark brown is OK, but many don't like the location of the cap line. I personally like the C&J Westbourne in chestnut.

7. jns425

jns425 Well-Known Member

I am the same size in Park Avenues and Fifth Avenues, however I sized down 1/2 a size in the Kenilworth (also the 5 last)

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Well, if we're talking C&J, defintely avoid the Strands or Park Avenues. I like anything on the 341 or the 337 lasts.

9. jns425

jns425 Well-Known Member

You are right. I took them back to the store and after we closely examined them, the conclusion is that I might have stepped on something and cut the back sole. Either way, not very noticeable and to anyone except me, so I am ok with it.

...However, there was an absolute issue with my Kenilworths. I took them out of the box for the first time, and there was literally a piece of leather cut off the back of the shoe. They took those back right away.

I am now debating the Kenilworths or Park Aves for my wedding. Or maybe I'll look at another brand. There was a pair of C&J I like, but their lack of wide sizes makes me think I might not fit into them.

10. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

If you're looking at these brands and money is no object, go C&J; and it's not even close. You'll pay almost double from AE, though.

And I completely agree with these two gents:

11. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

Do you have sharp objects around your ankle or something? [​IMG]

12. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

IMO, black cap toes look better with the "less is more" approach. After looking at many AE's, i chose to go with Magnanni. It is the same upper as the "Federico" model, but it has a leather sole. I can't find them online since I don't know the name of them, however they are at the same price point as AE's but I scored them for $210 at my local Nordstrom's Rack. Gorgeous shoe, more sleek/european than your typical AE, but I think they look 10x better than many other black shoes. Black brogueing looks like something a priest would wear, no offense to anyone that owns them. Black is formal, so I think the busy (casual) broguing clashes with something that has a more formal color.

http://www.magnanni.com/products/6-federico-black.aspx

pictures do not do that shoe justice, and for $200 for the rubber sole, even that is still a good deal.

still can't find them online, but they are identical to these below, just regular black calf leather, all one finish lol

http://www.zappos.com/magnanni-cesar-black

found them, they are called Mateo, in black

http://magnanni.com/products/130-mateo-black.aspx

13. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

For those with AE Bourbon shoes - they have another Bourbon belt on the website. The new Dearborn belt is available in Bourbon. So now you can get the Dearborn or the Manistee in Bourbon.

They also have a new croc-embossed leather belt on the website.

Chris

14. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

I was just going to look at the website and see what they have. I have a pair of bourbons (on backorder) so I will need a matching belt at some point. Thanks.

15. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Is the issue with the captoe line on the park avenue purely personal preference or is this a style faux pas?...was considering these in brown/merlot to go with business/formal wear?

Is there much difference between D to E? Put it this way the 8.5D in the strand feels like a good fit, snug with still some room from the big toe to the end of the shoe but after several hours wear the sides of my pinky toe and big toe are quite sore, would a move to E or EE be the right call in this case perhaps?

16. jimney

jimney Senior member

Personal preference.

17. adsmith4

adsmith4 Senior member

I agree, personal preference. I have always like the Park Avenue and just picked up a pair in the Black and Dark Brown Burnished. I think it's a very understated but timeless shoe.

18. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I myself am not a huge fan of the PA, but we must not forget that the PA is one of AE's best - if not its best - seller year after year.

It's personal preference. Get them if you like them.

19. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Sweet, thanks for the replies guys looking forward to getting my shoes all sorted. Thinking ill cross brown off the list this time and go with the dark brown park avenues and dark brown fifth street or chocolate daltons.

20. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I would not get both the PA and the 5th Avenue in brown. They're way too similar to have both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.