Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I've not yet tried either of these, but based on what I've read here and in several other threads, I think most people use only Reno. There is the "mac" method, which is someone who has come up with a popular care regime for shell in the shoe care thread. IIRC, he uses some polish, but only once in a while and very sparingly.

One other option is Venetian Shoe Cream. This is supposedly recommended by Nick Horween for shell. But again, I've seen comments from people here saying they prefer the Reno.

Sorry I can't direct to links (maybe I'll make a project for later): but check the shoe care thread, this thread, the C&J thread, and probably the C&J for Ralph Lauren thread, or search for these products, and you'll see.

In sum, my SUBJECTIVE opinion based on what I've read here:
    1. Reno - most people swear by this
    2. Venetian Shoe Cream - recommended by Horween; some people say it's overrated and prefer Reno
    3. shell cream (any brand, not just Saphir) - very few recommendations. I think Mac uses sparingly, but he has a "method"

If it were me, I'd play it safe and start only with Reno, and then only applied rarely.

2. adsmith4

adsmith4 Senior member

3. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I have heard a lot of endorsements for Kiwi from many experienced shoe care folks. I think there's a good case to be made for a tried and true product. I used Kiwi on my Cliftons and have been happy with it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012

4. gooter

gooter Senior member

the "brown leather" looks more like the AE picture than the Amazon one. Do a google image search for the Neumok in brown, as its the same leather.

5. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Nick Horween uses Venetian. I am certain of it (email exchange between he and I). And I find Venetian to be a very decent product, and from time to time I use it. However, it does not infuse moisture like the Saphir products do.

6. imainish

imainish Senior member

Great post and couldn't agree more about the heel and edge dressing.

7. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Jubei, outstanding. I was more concerned with their execution than with your design skills. But they did a great job.

I've held off on buying the Delrays during this sale, because I've been comparing to the Meermins in cuero shell and also waiting to see how yours came out. I think I'm going to wait for a shell option in these, whether it ends up being offered by AE or MTO.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Just to be clear, my comments above relate to the care of shell. For calf I typically use Saphir reno and shoe creams from Alden and AE.

9. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I think I posted before reading this. Great advice, based on experience.

Kirby is also usually available online to chat and is very willing and able to help out with questions. I highly recommend.

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

It is my understanding that any shoe available for customization on the AE website can be made in cordovan. My SA checked with corporate to make sure it was ok, and sure enough, it was. Only draw back is price really, cordovan shoe prices + SMU... :fu:

No regrets on my part, i'm very pleased indeed. I'll see if i can get them to make me a shoe in cappuccino cordovan next :bounce2:

11. gooter

gooter Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I much prefer Jubei's Delray in burgundy cordovan to the Meermin split-toe cordovan on the Rui last. On the other hand, I much prefer the Meermin longwings and plain toe to the Macneil and Leeds. Whatever you like, we all benefit with AE now having a competitor on price and quality.

13. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

I was one of those that recently had to strip the factory finish on shell, not that I wanted to. My shell Leeds from ~5 years ago were the same condition and I should have stripped those when I got them too. Both are burgundy however my burgundy shell Cambridge were fine as were both of my shoes in shell walnut. It is the AE cordovan shoe cream I believe that causes the problem. There were chunks on top of the leather buried in the finish. And the overall appearance was muddy. I had a jar of AE burgundy cordovan cream a couple of years ago that did the same thing. When I touched up one of my shoes with it once it hit the air it would create chunks much like a skim film that forms in a can of paint that is exposed to air. Most AE shoe care products are pretty good but I avoid the cream now.

Thanks for the clarification--I agree--Cordovan and cream do not go together. I've never seen what you described on the AE shells I've looked at/purchased but it sounds terrible.

14. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Those look phenomenal!! Congratulations. I first thought that was a Leather Soul makeup or something--it just looks incredible. Did you have to wait 9 months like you have to with Alden? (joke)

The color looks really good too--i assume it's their new finishing?

15. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

I really like them too. I wear them mostly as a casual shoe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.