Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polytropos

polytropos Member

Brown burnished Delray.

2. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

If you are referring to "khaki" as the color also, I would suggest the natural tan or cognac McTavish, the tan Elgin, brown, olive, tan suede, or snuff suede Neumok, tan Black Hills, tan Stewart - and many other possibilities.

Chris

3. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I was one of those that recently had to strip the factory finish on shell, not that I wanted to. My shell Leeds from ~5 years ago were the same condition and I should have stripped those when I got them too. Both are burgundy however my burgundy shell Cambridge were fine as were both of my shoes in shell walnut. It is the AE cordovan shoe cream I believe that causes the problem. There were chunks on top of the leather buried in the finish. And the overall appearance was muddy. I had a jar of AE burgundy cordovan cream a couple of years ago that did the same thing. When I touched up one of my shoes with it once it hit the air it would create chunks much like a skim film that forms in a can of paint that is exposed to air. Most AE shoe care products are pretty good but I avoid the cream now.

I had 2 pair of Bradley's and both had to be returned, but when I had them they felt about the same as my Leeds. Several years ago I developed a bunion at the base of my little toe on both feet. I had them removed and they came back about a year later. I was able to track it down to both my shell Leeds and cobbler leather Sheltons out of all the shoes I own. As the bunion got bigger and more painful it was pretty easy to tell who the problem child was. I used a shoe stretcher with a bunion attachment on those 2 shoes and have been fine since. My Leeds are a little bit tighter than most of my other 1 last shoes at the ball of the foot.

4. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

I also ordered the Burgandy Shell Dalton's but have not got a shipping motive but to be honest I'm not expecting one for a coupleore weeks

5. gooter

gooter Senior member

I cant believe I missed out on those shell Daltons [​IMG]

6. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Dark brown shoes with a matching belt...works everytime.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  7. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

So, after some hiccups, my custom Delrays in burgundy cordovan finally arrived:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think they did a great job, and the cordovan looks flawless. I'm very pleased :slayer:

8. jch1

jch1 Senior member

For the folks who put up pictures of the cronmoks that were darkened, were those the brown or tan version? It looks like the darker ones have dark laces , but you indicated that you got two pairs of laces which appear to be the ones offered with the tan.

I looked at the brown in the store today, but I can't envision them looking like the pictures without extensive work they look very broken in already. Am I going crazy?

9. gooter

gooter Senior member

they were def the tan version, not brown

10. Storm33

Storm33 Senior member

I ordered a pair within a couple of days of them being offered; no news yet. I'm not going to panic for another week or two.

11. horsey shoes

horsey shoes Senior member

I posted pics of my tan ones a few pages back... they came with blue and tan laces.
    I believe the brown ones came with red and brown laces.

The tan darkened up easily with two passes of Reno... I did not want to go too dark since I have Elgins that are darker.
    You probably want to stay a shade or two lighter than you want as the rough leather will most likely darken over time.

12. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Whoops! Yes I am. Thanks for catching my error.

Thank you guys for the suggestions!

13. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

I noticed the same thing in store too but am going to buy the brown just to darken.
    The edges of the tan shoe are much lighter than the brown shoe.

14. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Those look great - I really like the natural sole with the burgundy.

Chris

15. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

I've come some way in my taste in the last couple of months. That may be among the best (and near, if not the, best) AE shoe I've seen. Great, great job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.