• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Congratulations on your dark brown congnac McTavish - I am picking mine up today.
I think the black McTavish would be fine as it sounds like you dress more business / casual. I think the black McTavish will work with khakis and chinos - but only if those pants are navy, black, dark gray, etc. I personally don't like the tan / light tan slacks and black shoe look - but that is what the congnac McTavish are for. If you don't wear a lot of navy, black, gray chinos and khakis, I would just go with the Cognac McTavish.
The suit thing complicates it a bit. I don't feel the McTavish works with a suit. But if you don't wear your suit very often (sounds like maybe 1-3 times per year) a pair of McAllisters might be a bit much for such limited wear. And I don't know if the McAllister will work with more casual pants as the McAllister is a balmoral.
If you want to get a black shoe that can do a suit and you can still dress it down a bit, I am going to suggest the Kenilworth in black. The plain toe can go either way and the blucher will let it dress down a bit.
Good luck in your search.
Chris

A very decent post.

The McTavish is too casual for a suit. The McAllister is too formal for jeans, and is also too formal, IMO, for khakis or chinos. A ptb is a good option.

Last edited:

imainish

Reaction score
Has anyone heard from AE about the creasing being off on the 333-3 last? It wasn't bothering me on the Neumora and the Parkway, but it is starting to on the Rutledge (very soft leather). Shoes fit great but are obviously missing the toe cap stiffeners.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
I received my clearance price burnished walnut Hales today. Let me just say, I thought my Strands were beautiful (and they are), but these are on another level. The leather is much more soft and supple than that of the Strand or my Cliftons and the combination of the color with the simple perforations makes them look quite elegant. I literally spent 5 minutes this morning just staring at them in awe. I will give them a coat of cleaner/conditioner tonight and take some pics for you all.

For the life of me, I cannot understand AE discontinuing this shoe.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A very decent post.
The McTavish is too casual for a suit. The McAllister is too formal for jeans, and is also too formal, IMO, for khakis or chinos. A ptb is a good option.

I agree, but I also question buying a black shoe in general if you primarily wear jeans and chinos. If you need something to wear with a suit, I would look at Clifton's, Park Avenues or Delrays.

mikeman

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of AE when Urban Daddy had that deal. It ended september 24th and I ordered the saturday before. Do you think Urban Daddy waited until the promotion was over to send in all of the orders? This wait is killin' me.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't be afraid to do a couple coats of Obenauf's on your dress shoes. I used it with a later coat of Saphir - it really helps the rain roll off...

I don't recall if it was Obenauf's or not, but if it is, it may be hard to get a shine on the shoes after applying it.

seer

Reaction score
I don't recall if it was Obenauf's or not, but if it is, it may be hard to get a shine on the shoes after applying it.

Not at all, as a matter of fact when I don't use the Saphir I still get a nice muted shine when I brush it out. When I used the Saphir over the OB's (usually applied a day later) the shine is as good as ever. Boot oils however will dull the shine.

Last edited:

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was a good day at the store today - my Cognac McTavish came and I picked up a pair of brown Jermyns while I was there to take advantage of the sale prices. The Jermyns didn't do much for me when I saw them on the website, but in person I really like them.

The store received some Cognac McTavish last week, but not in my size. I liked the color - it was very close to the color they show on their website. My size came in today and the color is darker than the one shown on the website - not as much orange/red to it. I actually like it better as I have the natural McTavish and this darker color is more of a contrast between the two.

If you are shopping for the Cognac McTavish, you might have them bring out more than one pair in your size as there seems to be some variation among the Cognac.

Size wise on the McTavish, I again went down a half size from my usual AE size. These feel a tad snugger than the natural McTavish in the same size - I'm thinking because these are new - but still comfortable. However, the Cognac McTavish in my regular AE size felt too big.

I will try to post some photos later tonight.

Chris

UglyJoe

Reaction score
Been away from the shoe game for a while. Anyone have any scoops on upcoming AE sales? It seems like the 2/$200 sale ought to be coming up soon. Any news?

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been away from the shoe game for a while. Anyone have any scoops on upcoming AE sales? It seems like the 2/$200 sale ought to be coming up soon. Any news?

AE is having a sale right now. Looks like Amazon has a sale running as well according to this thread.

Last edited:

Essential

Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago, I emailed the shoebank. One person said that from the what they knew, there would no longer be 2/$200 sales. I emailed them again about a week later and a separate person said that there would not be a 2/$200 for a while. The latter seemed to imply that it was cancelled as well. So I'm not really sure where the 2/$200 stands right now. They did explicitly mention that 2 for $300 sales were still going to be in available in the future though.

Todd V

Reaction score
Curious to know what folks' hit rate is with the Shoebank -- how often are the shoes you get acceptable enough to keep vs. how often is the flaw just too significant?

In my one experience, I got entirely the wrong shoe by mistake. :p

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Curious to know what folks' hit rate is with the Shoebank -- how often are the shoes you get acceptable enough to keep vs. how often is the flaw just too significant?
In my one experience, I got entirely the wrong shoe by mistake. :p

The shoebank deals in seconds and firsts. I assume you mean seconds. My experience has been mixed - I suppose a 50% keep rate. In fairness, I may be more picky than most. For me to keep a second it has to be one of those "I couldn't even detect a flaw" type of second. Frankly, a shoe that has noticeable flaws is not worth the $100 - $200 a person will save. The shoe will be worn for decades, and saving a hundred dollars or so quickly becomes irrelevant - indeed, nearly absurd - when considered in that context. These days I won't have them send me a second unless it is personally inspected first - and I get the "okay" from the SA (and they are always happy to do that).

easy_golfing

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a pair of Dalton's and am wondering about size. I wear a 10.5D in the Clifton and the Strand. Auld I stick to 10.5D in th Dalton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads