Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

I'm not sure - I'm having trouble processing the fact that you have NO burgundy in your lineup. Whatever the shoe, I think that is the color.

2. gooter

gooter Senior member

I was also looking at the Cambridge and the shell MacNeil for this very reason. I haven't seen any of the burgundy calf versions of AE shoes in person so I am not sure how they look. Any input on that?

3. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

How about the MacNeil, as it would be a derby in burgundy, two elements missing from your shoe rotation. That or Delrays in chili...

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Search for images under google images. The internet is filled with much better pictures than on the AE site.

5. gooter

gooter Senior member

Thanks for your input, gents.

6. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Just ordered a brown cordovan Patriot. If the fit is spot on, I will be parting with my Darlton/Marlow penny loafers, which, although beautiful shoes, leave a bit to be desired fit-wise.

7. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

I'm a big fan of the Cambridge, especially if you already know your proper fit from the Strand. I don't have wide experience, but I am also leery of some of their burg calf. It seems that the MacNeil in particular gets made up in things like polished cobbler and others that I don't quite understand. Is there somewhere a breakdown of what exactly is meant by Allen Edmonds' various classifications of calf? (polished cobbler, custom calf, and do they have more than one class of grained leather?)

8. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

What's the problem you're having with the Marlows? Curious to hear, especially since AE says they've "perfected" the fit on the Patriot.

9. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I agree with JubeiSpeigel on the burgundy MacNeils - consider adding a derby.

With all the talk of burgundy shoes, I'm going to break a rule here (hope no one minds...) I have a pair of unworn MacNeils in Burgundy shell cordovan. They are seconds. Size 11.5 D. I've been struggling with the fit of the 7 last and debating whether to keep them. I guess if someone wants them, I'd rather they go to a happy home. PM me if there's any interest. I'll sell for my cost (which was $299) plus shipping.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

10. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

I'm a B/C width, but the Marlows are D width only. I had to size down to a 10D for them, which works width-wise, but a little short in the toe box, unless i'm sockless.

11. etran27

etran27 Active Member

Does anybody know if Lasalles and delrays fit the same?

also could i get some feedback on which shoe i should buy for the better deal?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-ALLEN-...8797913?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item51a1511a59 110 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250960522829?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 105 shipped or 95... not sure need clarification from seller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370659742717?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 115 shipped

sorry guys, im pretty bad at judging these shoes lol

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

12. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

So I decided to return the shell Park Avenues to Sherman Brothers due to the intentional burnishing performed by AE. We are going to see if they can provide a pair that is less burnished or not burnished preferrably.

Keep a heads up those of you ordering new burgundy shell shoes with the new burnishing. I am not a fan of intentionally damaging the shell with burnishing (which apparently is done with friction via some sort of spinning pad (like a sander).

I took some pics of the burnishing on one shoe to share with Sherman Bros.:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. gooter

gooter Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Consensus here seems to be that Delray is nicer than LaSalles. They are on the same last, so should fit the same.

As for these shoes, they all look pretty decent. To my eye, #1 looks the best, but they've overexposed the sole pics. Maybe ask for a better shot without a flash.

#2 and #3 both have holes drilled in the sole. This means that they were worn and then returned to Nordstrom. Nothing particularly wrong with that; just means that Nordstrom decided they could not resell them as new. These both look to have a bit more creasing to me, which might indicate more wear.

But honestly, for pre-owned shoes, they all look decent. The inner soles look OK, too.

15. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

That explains it, thanks. Was wondering is there was something else wrong with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.