1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cathpah

cathpah Senior Member

I should add that the Strands (in walnut) were available as seconds for only $200 at my AE store...apparently they're a "featured" sale item. At that price, I couldn't pass them up.

2. Jigg

Jigg Senior Member

Anyone?

3. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior Member

That looks like a black paint or edge dressing, not like a part of the shoe or a topy. Some ebay resellers use this to make the sole of the shoe appear "new" again, on shoes worn once or twice.

Keep in mind, RL usually has a sale in early November for 40% off, plus a 15% kicker. That's what I'm waiting on before I shell out for their shell Marlow wingtips.

4. wigglr

wigglr Distinguished Member

You're correct. On a second look it looks like paint

5. gooter

gooter Senior Member

It also has two small holes drilled into one shoe (or it appears as such). I have seen this before, what does it mean when AE does this?

6. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Distinguished Member

it isn't AE who drills those holes. nordstrom drills those holes when a pair gets returned to the store.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

7. etran27

etran27 Active Member

ah.. i see. Do those shoes appear to have been worn just a few times judging by the pictures though? Do they only drill holes if they've been worn for a considerable amount of time?

8. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior Member

Yes, worn only a few times at most. I think Nordstrom's drills the holes on any shoes that have been worn and returned, therefore not sellable as new.

9. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior Member

Also, if anyone is in the Cleveland area, The new Woodmere store is having a "meet the CEO" evening from 5-7pm on October 9. It's 2 hours away, otherwise I think I'd go.

10. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior Member

Quote: I have the Strand (5 last) and Clifton (8 last). I wear an 8.5 E in both, though the 5 fits my foot a bit better.

11. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior Member

The 8 is definitely narrower. I am a borderline D in the 5 last (a little too snug), and I have to wear an E with the 8 last

12. g.michael

g.michael Senior Member

Strange but I'm the opposite. 8 last in 11B fits perfect--5 last in 11B is a little snug. Tried both in several sizes/widths--11B is the right size.

13. Winston S.

Winston S. Distinguished Member

Ha! I have both lasted shoes 5 last (Fifth street, Cambridge, and Strand) and 8 last (Quinton) and the 8 last fits my foot better. I take the same size in both lasts too, 9D. I took a picture last night of my 5, 7, and 8 last. Will try to post tonight.

14. Hobbstc

Hobbstc Well-Known Member

Awesome thanks for the replies! I'll try the standard size and see how that goes.

15. gooter

gooter Senior Member

Just looking for some input from my fellow AE fans. My current shoes are: walnut Strands, black McAllisters, black McTavish, brown Neumoks, brown Rutledge.

What would YOU buy as your next shoe? I was about to pull the trigger on some Long Branches for the Canadian winter, but then I started lusting after the Daltons as I can wear them to work and for casual wear. Granted they wont work when the snow comes, which the Long Branch would. I don't really NEED anything new right now, but you know how it goes.

What shoe/boot would you look at if you had my current line-up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.