Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Great quality, but not a sleek belt. The wide classic is wide enough that it barely fits in belt loops.

2. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Need a little input here: I'm looking at buying a pair of Vernons, which really don't ever go on sale except the Rediscover America sale currently going on. Current price for firsts is $284.75. Seconds go for $199. However, I have a $35 gift card that is about to expire, and it can only be used on firsts. So, I ask you, which would you choose:

Firsts: $249.75 (284.75 - 35.00)
    Seconds: $199

Trying to decide whether the extra $50 is worth it for firsts.

3. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

If you're deciding between the Strand and McAllister, I recommend the Strand personally. I have both the Strand (walnut) and the McAllister (black), and although the colors and uses for the two are obviously very different, I will say that I like the overall "shape" of the Strand better, despite being on the same last. It may just be the cap toe vs. the wingtip that leads me to view their shape differently. That said, either one on walnut is a perfectly good choice.

That said, at some point you may want to invest in a black cap toe shoe for more formal occasions. You may not get a ton of wear out of them, but having a pair for when you need them (interviews, funerals, possibly black tie in a pinch) is pretty key. Whether you go with the Park Aves or some other brand/shoe is up to you (some people don't like the cap on the PA's toe).

4. Roger Everett

Roger Everett Senior member

My personal thought -- If you buy the first's, and have any problems -- back to the store. With seconds ( esp. if getting online ) will they have a visual defect, that will bother you.

5. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

You can return 2nds if bought from AE

6. horsey shoes

horsey shoes Senior member

100% agree with all the other comments, a plain toe shoe shows off the cordovan better than any other cut.

I have the Cambridge in burgundy shell and wear them at least once a week with grey or navy suits; pinstripe, window pane, etc. They also have a double sole which makes them a bit more heftier than a single sole; Strand, etc.

If the heavy broguing (Cambridge and MacNeil) takes too much away from the shell, you could go with a Park Avenue that adds a nice clean cap toe to the plain toe and is on the 5 last so it is a bit slimmer.
    Or, if still available through MTO, you could go with a Fifth Street boot in burgundy shell that would look fantastic with dark jeans too.

7. gooter

gooter Senior member

I would go with firsts, personally.

8. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

The Strand is $50 cheaper than the McAllister at the MilExch, plus a 10% discount if you order on line and subscribe to the exchange newsletter with occasionally 15% off or more. I have the Strand in shell walnut and the McAllister in calf walnut. It is a wash between them as to one being better than the other IMO, go with what you like. My personal preference is a wingtip. What about getting the Strand in walnut now and sometime down the road when there is a larger discount pickup the McAllister in Merlot if you want? You can also special order most any AE shoe that is not at the Exchange, any questions how to do it PM me. It has really become hit or miss lately and the quote I got today was actually more than direct from AE with the current sale price.

9. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

Oh that's nice, save a few bucks on topy from a cobbler with that.

On an unrelated note, does anyone feel like the Macneil is dying off? Seems like it's not sleek enough for today's demands

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Get the Dundee, they look excellent...

11. gooter

gooter Senior member

I dunno, but I'm on the verge of buying a pair in burgundy shell

12. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

LOVE the MacNeil! Just got a pr in Walnut Grain a few months back. I think they'll have a revolt on their hands if they ever discontinued....

J

13. Hobbstc

Hobbstc Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know about the extra 10% off. After seeing some pics I really think the McAllisters are what I am looking for. I'll decide on Thursday when I get my allowance for the week :D

These were the pics I liked

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philip_martin/7346806246/sizes/l/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philip_martin/7766241364/sizes/l/in/photostream/

14. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

On the topic of McNeil, if you are not fond of the black or walnut grain and don't wanna shell out for shell, it looks like Lands End have McNeil in brown calf.

15. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

I'm a young guy that recently picked up the equally bulky Regent Street longwings in Chili. I actually love them for their casualness and ruggedness. Wouldn't recommend them as a super formal shoe though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.