Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Wingtips are inherently casual, while cap-toes are a bit formal for casual-wear.

The obvious choice is #8 Leeds.

A plain-toe best showcases shell IMO. The #8 will go with your charcoal suit nicely, as well as with casual wear.

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The Leeds is probably my least favorite AE. If I were to do a plain toe, I might go Meermin (left to right: Meermin; AE Leeds; Alden):

[​IMG]

How versatile is the long wing blucher?

3. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Though, I particularly like the look of the Park Avenue and the Fifth Ave. I was wondering: The cap on the Park Ave. the Fifth Ave. and the Fifth Street are all about equally placed. Are these shoes all to be considered stubby and undesirable? If so, why does AE still offer these models?

4. gooter

gooter Senior member

I am of the opinion that the shell MacNeil can be worn with almost anything, but I may be crazy.

5. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

It sounds like you already know what you want.

6. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Disclaimer: I'm right now wearing a pair of black shell Leeds (with denim) and think they're fantastic... but the "blobbiness" that everybody seems to detest about the shoe actually nicely balances out the fact that my feet are obscenely long and narrow.

I plan on my next shell purchase being a longwing gunboat of some kind. If the Macneil came in my size, I'd already have a pair in burgundy. I'd feel fine wearing it with everything from jeans to a sweater to an odd jacket... and probably up to a linen or seersucker or flannel suit.

7. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

My vote goes to the Cambridge in Burgundy.

8. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I agree 100% with MarioImpemba. However since you do not like the Leeds, sigh... yes the Cambridge will work. Honestly I think it boils down to what ever you are comfortable with given the environment your in and self imposed restrictions. As MarioImpemba and many others have said, nothing showcases shell as well as a plain toe. The Dundee is supposed to be available again after the current AE sale and a #8 Dundee would work as well as the Leeds. But a bit warmer in the heat of the summer of course. High on Friday will be 33F where I am camping and grouse hunting so heat isn't so much of an issue for me much of the year.

9. ckprax

ckprax Well-Known Member

I had been lusting after the Rutledge in burnished brown but after a lot of contemplating I decided against it since I do not wear suits very often. I may in the near future but for now I will wait on getting a brown captoe. I opted to get something that can be dressed up or down and pulled the trigger on a pair of chocolate Daltons this morning. They are seconds so we will see how they turn out but I'm hoping for the best. I love the walnut color but I think the chocolate is a better choice for me right now, as it is arguably more versatile.

10. ckprax

ckprax Well-Known Member

double post

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

11. Hobbstc

Hobbstc Well-Known Member

Quick question. Trying to decide which would better fill out my collection. Right now I wear black Delrays, a burgundy captoe Cole Haan, and for casual I have some Clarks. I'm looking to add a walnut and am looking at Strand or McAllister as I get an awesome deal through the military AAFES site. Would the wingtip be better to round it out or does it matter? I will wear these with more casual suits, no tie, sportcoat, etc. I like the looks of both of them, just trying to be diverse. Thanks!

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Only as it relates to the Leeds, not a plain toe blucher in general. If I'm going to spend the money, I guess I want to get the shoe with the most versatility for what I wear. So, the general consensus seems to be get the PTB if you want the most versatile shoe.

13. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

The AE belts are very nice. I have several of the wide basic dress belts, a Belt Creek belt, and a couple of their more casual belts. All are top quality and they don't crack like some of the cheaper belts I have owned. I treat mine with AE Leather Lotion periodically and they look great for a long time.

Chris

14. gooter

gooter Senior member

15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

For the stated uses, you could get away with a PTB, LWB, or a shortwing balmoral. Personally, given your stated uses, I'd get a blucher. And of course I'd go with shell - from Alden or AE or C&J. I have various pairs of shell, in various colors, in PTBs, LWBs, and shortwing bals (mostly Alden, but some AE and C&J) and the PTB is easily the most versatile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.