• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbstc

Reaction score
So does anyone have experience with what a 11.5d on the Delrays 8 last would be in the Dalton? I have no AE near me. Thanks!

jch1

Reaction score

So does anyone have experience with what a 11.5d on the Delrays 8 last would be in the Dalton? I have no AE near me. Thanks!

Don't have the delays,but I got the daltons in 11.5d which is the same as my strands.

horsey shoes

Reaction score
Was at the AE store this afternoon to pick up my Cronmoks and took a pic of the new McAllister in Cognac.
Great color and red tone.

horsey shoes

Reaction score
Picked up my tan Cronmoks today and took some before and after pics.

Fresh out of the box... confirmed that they are lighter than expected and almost as light as a new leather sole as someone else pointed out.

Used some Reno and a light coat of Kiwi neutral and they started to darken.

I expect these guys to darken a little more over time given the feel of the leather and how they changed just after one application.
Have been wearing them around the house and confirm they are TTS (8E Strand - 8E Cronmok) and a very comfortable wearing boot.
The footbed feels almost padded and the upper leather is like a broken in glove.
I missed out on the natural colored McTavish, so this will fill the gap at the light, top end nicely.

horsey shoes

Reaction score
Couple of more pics...
Took a comparison shot post-Reno with a walnut Strand and a tan saddle Elgin. I treated the Elgin similar with Reno and neutral Kiwi when I purchased them last year and they have definitely darkened over time.

My wife is a professional photographer and she insisted that she take a picture of the Cronmoks in her studio.
After seeing her results, I think if AE had pics like this on their site, I would really be in trouble.

zchen

Reaction score
The pictures of the Brown and Tan Cronmoks are making my decision between them harder and harder...

seer

Reaction score
Picked up my tan Cronmoks today and took some before and after pics.

Fresh out of the box... confirmed that they are lighter than expected and almost as light as a new leather sole as someone else pointed out.

Used some Reno and a light coat of Kiwi neutral and they started to darken.

I expect these guys to darken a little more over time given the feel of the leather and how they changed just after one application.
Have been wearing them around the house and confirm they are TTS (8E Strand - 8E Cronmok) and a very comfortable wearing boot.
The footbed feels almost padded and the upper leather is like a broken in glove.
I missed out on the natural colored McTavish, so this will fill the gap at the light, top end nicely.
Very nice indeed!

Joker Man

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Very nice indeed!
All light coloured shoes darker.

But what's with these boots? Unless you're going hiking in them in some rough terrain they are too bulky and uncomfortable and clutsy looking for everyday wear.

seer

Reaction score
All light coloured shoes darker.

But what's with these boots? Unless you're going hiking in them in some rough terrain they are too bulky and uncomfortable and clutsy looking for everyday wear.
Not at all. These particular boots are quite light and comforatble. You know low boots like these are classic men's wear going back to the early 1800s. And they just look great!

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AE has some good boots but I think few come close to the Burgundy shell Dalton...

I very much agree. Walnut Dalton's too

Doctor Damage

Reaction score
Photos of the new AE Patriot loafers, from official sites. If anyone around here has experience with both this shoe and the Alden Van last, please comment on the fit over the instep / top of the foot. I'm one of the 50% who find the Van last painful, so I'm hoping the AE Patriot has more room.

Have you looked into the Alden/BB version that is unlined? I have a high instep and the unlined version is very comfortable for me. Comparing that photo to a pair I have sitting right here, I would say they look to have equal insteps - I would think the difference would be negligible.

Btw, is there such thing as intellectual property infringement in the world of clothing? I mean, the Patriot is clearly a copy of the LHS.

I've tried on the unlined Van last and it was too snug. It's strange because I have never tried on a pair of British shoes which had this problem, but only Alden. I guess all I can do is order a pair and find out for myself. I find AE is usually roomier than Alden. At least with calfskin I can stretch them if they are "close" to fitting.

Anyway, regarding copyrights, the Patriot appears to be a revival of the AE Cole, which they sold from 2000 until 2003, and before that they had the Hamilton which they sold through the 1990s. And the UK brands have been selling similar shoes for heaven only knows how long. However, AE has clearly decided to copy Alden's super-wide-extending soles!

Last edited:

Jigg

Reaction score
In the 5 last, I wear an 8E with my Park Ave & Jeffersons and have heel slippage in my right shoe.
I'd like to order the Cronmok and since it's unlined, should I order an 8D or keep the E width and use a tongue pad?
Also, how is the Patriot sized?
I'd go to the store but just noticed that Fatwallet has 5% cashback.

tsekh

Reaction score

My wife is a professional photographer and she insisted that she take a picture of the Cronmoks in her studio.
After seeing her results, I think if AE had pics like this on their site, I would really be in trouble.

OMG. This photo makes me wanna buy a pair of Cronmoks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads