Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I hear the current sale ends 11/28... so new sale 11/29... I also hear it will be

2/$300:

Delray
    black, chili

Strand
    walnut

Boston
    Black

New Orleans
    walnut

LaSalle
    black, chili

Maxfield
    chili

Clifton
    black, walnut

Randolph
    black

Firenze
    black, brown

Fifth Avenue
    black, brown, walnut

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  2. Giddyup

Giddyup Member

I contemplated waiting on that sale to order my Fifth Streets and Daltons but I see neither are included. Glad I called the Ohio and Maine outlets up. Again, I can't say how good of service I received was. Unparalleled.

3. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Magic 8 ball says, "Signs are positive". I think 2012 will yield more interesting results from AE.

4. NickyEyes

NickyEyes Well-Known Member

I see sites are already low on common sizes.

5. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

Is the 2 for $300 for seconds? I can't imagine them having more than 50% off firsts?

6. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

7. Bateman87

Bateman87 Active Member

I'd get the Strands in Walnut and Fifth Aves in Black, but I don't have any use for Oxfords at the moment..

Amazon has 30% off orders of $75+ now.

8. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

double post..

9. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Clifton is an awesome shoe. Why don't they show it on their site anymore? I have it in brown. I bet it looks great in walnut.

Anyone seen the distressed leather MacNeils in person? I like the color with the natural welt/sole, and they are on sale for $249. But the "distressing" scares me..

[​IMG]

10. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

I generally ask them men what their suggestions are as they can have first hand experience with the shoes. No offense to the women, but AE is a mens shoe company and in order to provide the best suggestions/recommendations one must actually wear the product... It's quit difficult for a women to tell you something when she has never worn (at least I hope) the shoes.

11. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Sids are brilliant. I was there a few weeks ago and really liked them but they are out of my price range. Good luck

12. blsing

blsing Well-Known Member

That seems like a pretty insane deal on the classics like the Strand and Fifth Ave. Does anyone know if sizes are severly limited? When does this sale run until?

13. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Future first time AE buyer so need some answers gentlemen please:

1. I went to the retail store today to try on AE shoes to find out my size. The only brogue they had were the Elgins but they didn't have any sizes close to my size in that. So I told the sales associate to just let me try a 10.5 in any other model of AE. So I did that and the EEE fit perfectly. I was wearing black running socks and there was still enough room in the front in the 10.5 EEE. I'm kind of confused now though if I should go with 10 or 10.5 now? Do they stretch out in the future? Should your foot be sliding a bit in the shoe or should it be fitted firmly?

2. Are all the models the same in terms of size? If you are a 10 in one of AE shoes you're a 10 in another AE model?

3. I dont have any dress slacks. Will be wearing with jeans and chinos and probably wool trousers in the future. Is the Strand a good fit for me? Will it work with jeans? Or should I go with the Elgin?

Thank you SO much in advance guys!

14. rostov

rostov Senior member

Clarksdb,

AE has a number of lasts, each will fit your foot a little differently. From experience, the shoes will stretch a bit and the insole will mold to your foot; However, the edges of the insole, being welted, will not. The shoes should be a little snug when new, but your heel should not be pressed against the shoe. Neither, however, should your heel slip out when you walk. In theory, I believe each shoe from the same last should fit the same, although I find the Park Avenue to run smaller than the Strand.

I wear my black Strands with jeans and slacks, but I feel they are a bit too dressy at times. I wish I had bought them in walnut.

Being on the verge of 4E, I have had the trouble of facing heel slip or minor insole-edge toughness from one half-step to another. My third pair, arriving next week will be 10.5eee should eliminate that edge soreness, but a boot, which will hopefully help with the slippage.

15. Claus

Claus Senior member

Allen Edmonds seems to be slightly less able than other makers to provide a consistent fit for a given last-width-size combination. There's also the possibility of human error (mislabeling, etc.), of course. Also, feet change during the years, so a new pair might not feel the same as an old pair.

If one couldn't make shoe on the same last fit identical, however, bespoke shoes would be a joke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.