1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jch1

jch1 Senior member

Hmmm. I emailed Jay on the 12th and still have no response. Does anyone know whether he prefers PMs?

2. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

do i need to mention the sad state of your jeans?

3. mattcritchlow

mattcritchlow Well-Known Member

I'll third this. Excellent customer service, knowledgeable and patient. He helped me find a great pair of brown Clifton seconds. He's definitely won my AE business going forward.

4. GentlemanJohnny

GentlemanJohnny Well-Known Member

Not sure but he emailed me earlier today so he may just be swamped....between the positive mentions on this site and walk-in customers I assume he may be a little swamped - especially with the holidays right around the corner...

5. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I am a bit of a stickler regarding balmorals being dress shoes and thus not fit for wearing with jeans.

That aside, those jeans are awful.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  6. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

PK, thanks for sharing. Not sure if your post was in response to my earlier post about considering doing the same to my Daltons, but your experience and pics are excellent input and help in my decision process.

7. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

Just got my walnut cordovan strands. Pretty nice looking shoes, although have to admit they look more similar in color to my brown cordovans than I expected.

Can't complain though, b/c my brown cordovan strands are my most worn shoes. Also, for some reason my walnut cordovans don't have a "seconds" stamp even though I thought they were seconds, and there is no appreciable defect I can find. :D

1 person likes this.
  8. dancingbear

dancingbear Senior member

Truffle McAllister question for those of you that have them:

I had my local store bring them in for me. Like most stock shells from AE that I have seen, the finish a bit dull, but I could really see the potential. However there was far more appearance of burnishing and some streaking than I would have imagined. Especially along the sides. Is that normal for these or could that be the reason these are still around?

9. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I don't have any direct experience with truffle, but I do with walnut, brown, burgundy and black shell from AE. The shell comes from the factory with a haze of oils over it. A good brushing will get rid of this, and it will re-appear any time you don't wear them for a while. It's just the excess oil coming to the surface.

As for surface burnishing, it's difficult to say without seeing them, but I will say it is unlikely that it will change dramatically with time or care.

If they are size 12D or 11.5E, however, you will definitely want to send them back and alert me... or just send them to me and I'll settle up with AE directly. [​IMG]

10. 0ShinAkuma0

0ShinAkuma0 Active Member

Gotta strongly disagree with you on this particular case, while you're right as a rule of thumb, it is definitely not the case for all shoes and all situations.
    It is especially not true regarding the Neumok, if there was ever a balmoral that was meant for jeans, it is the Neumok. In fact, I'd go so far as to say they'd look a bit weird in slacks. This being especially true with the Blue/Red/Olive Neumoks.
    By the way, Michael Haines, those are some very nice Neumoks you have there.

On a side note, I bought those shoe trees on sale from Jos.A.Bank for 7.50$, they sadly stretched out my Neumoks, they're unusable right now (the shoe trees, not the neumok). But as luck has it, I found some Alden XL shoe trees for 15$ at a consignment shop. Fits like a charm, slides snugly in while not stretching the leather. I really lucked out.

Please forgive the iPhone pic quality, it really doesn't do the rich navy blue justice, sadly.

[​IMG]

Here are my Navy Neumoks today with (extremely) dark brown Levi's, my favorite combination with these shoes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  11. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Custom Shell Saddle Shoe update:

I heard back from my contact(s) at AE and they agreed to do the custom shell saddle shoe for no additional charge over the regular shell shoe price, plus they'll throw in a pair of free shoe trees and free shipping. This was assuming we could do 10 of these custom shell shoes. It was unclear to me whether we all need to order the same exact shoe, or just reference some "deal code" to get the aforementioned pricing. I will find that out.

My initial thought is a traditional shell saddle shoe, with burgundy vamp and quarters, black shell "saddle" and "foxing," regular welt (not split/reverse), double-leather sole, and probably black sole edge. J.R. soles (same as all other shell shoes).
    Like this:

[​IMG]

#2: a walnut shell vamp and quarters, burgundy shell (or maybe brown shell?) "saddle" and "foxing," regular welt, double-leather JR sole, and "natural" sole edge. (this is all assuming availability of the walnut or some other lighter-color brown shell).
    Like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#3: dark brown shell vamp and quarters, walnut "saddle" and "foxing", regular welt, natural sole edge, double-leather JR sole. (again, assuming availability of walnut or some other lighter color shell)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thoughts? Also, I'd like to know who's in, so we can let them know a minimum of X will be ordered...

12. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

I like to option 2 if possible

13. adsmith4

adsmith4 Senior member

Rocking the tan Dalton's today

[​IMG]

14. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Thanks for doing this bucksfan! Because I already have #1 (but not in shell), I also prefer #2 the best. But would still get #1 if that was the only option and we could get 10 people together. Count me in either way.

15. Bandit44

Bandit44 Senior member

I highly recommend the saddle in burgundy/black. Here's a pair of AE Polos in shell cordovan that I picked up several years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

What's the stamp for seconds? Is it the little brown mark on the soles?

17. zchen

zchen Senior member

Yes

1 person likes this.
  18. sambodini

sambodini Active Member

[​IMG]
    Rapid City sz 13 D. Came in the mail yesterday.

2 people like this.
  19. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

must. . .resist. . . .group buy. . . .my new(old) Polos. . .are. . ..enough. . .ahhhhhhh!

Got those Polos yesterday but haven't had a chance to take some pics. I was expecting to have to send them right to recrafting, but they're pretty wearable as-is. Other than needing new heel lifts (that's what the rubber on the heel is called, right?) the soles are in pretty decent shape. I'll try to get pics tomorrow!

-James

20. GentlemanJohnny

GentlemanJohnny Well-Known Member

Hmmm...what's the price quote on that group buy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.