Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikefive9

mikefive9 New Member

Can someone explain the lacing on shoes like Park Ave, Fifth Ave, etc. where they laces leave no gap at all? When wearing, is there supposed to be any gap? I basically hate mine because of the spread/gap created the higher it goes up my foot. Is this is a fit problem or just the way those types of shoes are supposed to be?

2. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

VERY narrow, even in EEE width, and shaped differently than other 1 last shoes (I have the Dalton and Bayfield and they fit fine).

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

It's not AE, but here is how I solved the issue of my dislike for the Fifth Avenue's toe cap:

[​IMG]

4. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I'm going to post a picture of my Seven Cerretos when I get home tonight. I just realized how similar they might be in shape....

5. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion Active Member

Please do help. Thanks!

6. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

If it fits correctly, there should be no gap some say.

7. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

one thing to note is that these three loafers use different construction, and will therefore fit differently. The Patriot is a welted shoe, while the other two are their "handsewn" shoes, albeit on differing last (plus I think Kenwood is made in the Dominican Republic).

I went into a store a while ago and tried on basically every loafer they had in stock. I was quite surprised to find that the handsewn shoes were the LEAST comfortable, at least for my foot. I ended up with the Verona, which is the Italy-made shoe that is Bologna construction; sort of in between welted and handsewn. There is something funny about AE's handsewn shoes; I'd suggest trying them on before buying.

8. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage Well-Known Member

I often think the Verona was designed for my feet given how well they fit. I regretably have only one pair of the brown, which has been discontinued.

9. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage Well-Known Member

That's the theory, but I've found that over time shoes will stretch and loosen up and a gap in the lacing allows them to be tightened up to compensate.

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

+1. I have a new pair of shoes with no gap, and I have some concern that they may stretch beyond my ability to tighten them.

I'm also experimenting with another pair to see how much they really will stretch.

11. remind

remind New Member

Posting regarding my experience with AE's amazing customer service:

- 1.5 years ago, I got sized for my first pair of AEs, Park Avenues in dark brown. The sales associate told me I was 10.5 EE and I bought the PAs in that size.
    - I got the PAs, wore them for 6 months and really could never get used to the feel.
    - Got sized 8 months after buying the PAs for a pair of Strands, and I found out my size was actually 9.5 E!
    - I got my Strands after a while, then figured out that 9.5 E is the right size on the 5-last.
    - This was now almost a full year after I got the PAs, and they were not new by any standards. I email customer service about what happened, and they told me to send in the Park Avenues.
    - New pair of dark brown Park Avenues in 9.5 E on my doorstep after 2 weeks.

Amazed. Customer for life.

12. amathew

amathew Senior member

Wow!

13. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Sadly, the closest Nordstrom Rack to me is 570 miles away in St. Louis.

14. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I have a high instep and none of my shoes completely close at the laces. Not a problem for me as long as the gap isn't too big.

Here is a picture from one of the AE catalogs and there is a gap. I'm guessing they wouldn't feature it in the catalog if it wasn't OK.
    [​IMG]

Chris

15. OldManMachine

OldManMachine Well-Known Member

@ jch1 - What is it with the 5th avenue cap that you don't like? I'm planning to purchase my first quality shoe and was hoping to go with the 5th avenues. Please chime in with your thoughts and experience. Are you implying that they look short and stumpy?

@ New Shoes1 - what is it that you solved in the photo? I'm a shoe noob, so not quite sure what it was that you did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.