1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I have the Clifton Oxford in a 12EEE and love them. Was thinking of getting something a bit more casual and was interested in the...

Lubbock

... Does anyone have any experience with these - would I still want to go for a 12EEE?

Also, out of interest are any SF affiliates stockists of AE and offer discounts? Are there regular AE sales at all?

Thanks.

2. otc

otc Senior member

I see AE belts at nordstrom rack fairly often. Some of their models are very easy to shorten so be sure to check racks that are larger than your size.

3. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

I just read this on Amazon in regards to Lombards, has anyone tried this? I was considering going for an 11D to an 11E, not to an 115.D...

Fit: This style tends to run narrow. For an accurate fit we recommend purchasing a 1/2 size larger than you typically purchase. For example, if you normally purchase a size 7, we recommend purchasing a size 7 1/2.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  4. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

These shoes do run narrow, but my feeling is that this last runs long, anyway. I can't see sizing up without making you feel like you're wearing clown shoes. Is shipping free so you can try it out?

5. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

The toe box on these runs incredibly narrow. I measure at 11.5C. I tried sizing up half a size to a 12D in order to get this last to fit, and that didn't even work. Regarding this last, I've concluded that you just have to have very narrow feet. I'd recommend trying on before ordering, if possible. At the very least, unless you have narrow feet, order a size up in length, width, or both.

6. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Thanks. I will check the next time I am there.

7. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

My Van Ness (which are on the same last as Lombards) have started to fit much better after 10-15 wears. Hopefully it will be the case with the Lombards. BTW shoe bank does not offer free shipping, I am paying for my shipping to return the shoes. I am going with walnut 11D, it think it's just a little risky to try the 11E.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  8. blsing

blsing Well-Known Member

I attempted to size up from 8.5 3E to 9 3E, since a 9E would be way too narrow. However, since the 2 last is somewhat long, the shoes were very long and loose, so it was a no-go.

9. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

just ordered the walnut strand and brown 5th ave in 10.5 E from the shoe bank. will post some pics when they arrive. hope they fit, i am usually a 11D.

10. RZach

RZach Well-Known Member

Aha! It was you who had that 10.5E brown 5th ave on hold! I was on the phone with the shoe bank today trying to see if I could get them, but they were reserved, I guess for you.

I guess if one fits they probably both fit, but let me know if something happens with that brown 5th!

11. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

Nope. The little shoe profile (not always obvious what it is) means seconds. The W means that they can't be sold through Allen Edmonds retail channels. Generally this is because the damage is worse than what would normally qualify them as seconds or because they were worn and returned.

12. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

I am not sure if I am the one that got the pair. But I was doing an exchange because my 1st Randolph didn't fit right when I take the SA's suggestion for a 10.5D and turned out that I am a 11D. So I mentioned to the SA about the sale and he took care of the rest for me. AE customer service is once again proved to be one of the best.

btw, I think the SA called and ordered the shoe around 5pm est

13. REguy

REguy Senior member

Received my pair of brown Malvern chukka seconds today. They turned out to be great shoes for the price, the leather and finishing are really nice, and there's no break-in required. I'd highly recommend picking up a pair if you're into chukkas, but I wouldn't pay full retail.

14. RZach

RZach Well-Known Member

Quote:

Yep, they do a great job helping out. I was calling to see if there was anything I could exchange the burgundy Randolph's I posted above for. Made the call about 8:00EST tonight. He said it looked like there was a 10.5E brown 5th ave at another store and he would call to see if it was available. Came back from being on hold a couple minutes later and he said it was already being held for another customer.

Looks like you beat me by 3 hours! But, they're going to let me return the Randolphs and keep the one other pair for $150. I'm paying return shipping, but I appreciate them doing it for me nonetheless.

15. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

^good to hear that they are also willing to help out with you. I had the same Randolph in size 10.5D and ended returning them cuz size was wrong and I don't like how it pushes my feet forward while walking in them. But they let you keep it at $150 is awesome. Shipping should be < $10 even with priority mail if you do a USPS online pay. what's the other shoe that you got?

16. RZach

RZach Well-Known Member

Lasalle in chili. Very happy with them.

But my my two most recent purchases are now walnut and chili, so i'm falling a bit behind in the darker colors. These AE's are my first real quality purchases (first job out of school), and I hate having to go with a beat up pair of dark brown cole haan's when I need something darker. Takes time to build the right wardrobe though.

17. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

ya i m graduating in May, so that's why I am trying to get my gears now. when it's cheap. I m going to wait and see if the dalton will come back on sale for $149 again, if they do that'll be my next pair.

18. RZach

RZach Well-Known Member

can't blame you there, i'd certainly be tempted at that price too

19. otc

otc Senior member

The normal seconds mark as far as I know is almost like something that might happen naturally (step on something and get a gouge in the instep where you don't normally walk). I think they do this intentionally so you can't run some scam and return a second in exchange for a first...but after you start wearing them, the sole basically looks normal.

The W (like what is on my "thirds") will never really look accidental...but for the price you shouldn't complain. Nordstrom seems to do something similar with little circular punches when they sell stuff at the Rack.

20. RZach

RZach Well-Known Member

Gotcha - that makes sense. I guess I hadn't realized the difference between the 2nds mark and the 3rds mark. Just figured they were different versions of the same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.