1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

Also the Byron (#4 last). I have them in chili and in black.

2. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Thanks Michael!

Yes, they were $99 for seconds on Black Friday :foo:.

Picture?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  3. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Ok, I have some pics to explain what I'm talking about in the above post.

Here's the pair of Chili Fairfax that I saw at Nordstrom Rack, which look like mine used to when I bought them. I really like the overall color/shades/etc:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now here are mine, about 6-7 months after I bought them, and after a few coats (over the course of that time) of Chili AE Premium Polish:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know my pictures aren't the greatest quality, but as you can see my pair seem to have lost any variations in shade and seem to have "smoothed out" to a more reddish monochromatic look. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get them looking more like in the first two pics? For reference, I currently have a few other polish colors (actually, aside from Black I just have Cognac and Saddle Brown), although I'm willing to get other stuff if necessary.

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

If you really like the original color/finish, you should just polish with Renovateur or Saphir clear and wax the toe (if desired). To get it back to the original color/finish, try the AE cleaner/conditioner first. If that does not work, you could try Renomat, but be careful with it and make sure to condition several times after finished.

5. zazadojo

zazadojo Active Member

HHHMMM, you have a great shade of red there. I would likely apply a thin amount of black to burnish then go back to the color you are using to give it some depth.....it will take some work but you could potentially have a very dynamic color after youre done.

6. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Cold iron - I'm dying for a burgundy / black shell saddle too (I thought of walnut / #8 as an alternative as well, maybe with exposed eyelets) - I even thought about doing a custom order. Is anyone else out there interested (I'm thinking group buy)?

7. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

Cool lm down

8. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Noice. You wouldn't happen to be a 9.5D? If not, any one out there wanna hook a brotha up with some bugundy/black sheltons (at a holiday discount)?
    Back to the subject at hand: I like the before pix as well. I think that creases add character.[/QUOTE]

Not a 9.5D but pretty darn close, If they disappear I will know where to look LOL.

That was exactly my thoughts when reading the OP. I would try saddle soap with a soft sponge and not scrubbing too hard if the cleaner/conditioner didn't work and Renomat as the last attempt. The directions on Renomat say let sit for 15 minutes but I have never gone past 10 minutes before removing it, and get nervous even going that long. I've never had an issue with it yet however.

9. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Hmmm strange, or maybe not, I was thinking about that since I posted it. Count me in bucksfan!

10. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I'll investigate the options and pricing, and report back.

11. jch1

jch1 Senior member

12. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Call the Shoe Bank and ask them. No harm in asking them. Ask them what the price is on them. Then tell them you heard they were $99 on Black Friday.

The grain look nice on the Patriot, similar to the grain on my Randolph which I love. In the Patriot I'll personally go with brown probably as I have a grain look loafer already.

13. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Amsterdam bourbon for maiden voyage today:

[​IMG]

I really like the color and the combo sole as well. Being 24, I don't really need the more classic leather sole and this combo sole just feels more comfortable. Maybe though I just need to wear leather soles longer for that to change. For $99 I'm really happy! :happy:

1 person likes this.
  14. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

Asked recently. $199 [​IMG]

15. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Yeah sucks, actually I bought Cliftons for $199 as I bought them in September, way before the Boxing Day sale. Zinc, by the way have you been hit with taxes each time from the Shoe Bank? I have when I ordered more than one shoe and even when I ordered one.

16. Ketawa

Ketawa Senior member

I picked up some brown Delrays in 13D from Amazon this week. They're on the 8 last and seem to fit much better than the Sanfords I have in 13D, which are on the 7 last. There's a bit more room for my left little toe and the toe box is longer. The toe may be tapered on the 8 last but it doesn't seem to be as much as on the 7 last.

I guess the 7 last's "Best fit for the average foot; lays flatter in the toe area." isn't going to work for me. The 8 last's "Elongated forepart with a tapered and flatter toe; similar to the 2 last." is good enough. This seems like great news since the Clifton is on the 8 last as well...

There is one thing that gives me pause about these. I picked them up for $217 from Amazon without any discounts and they were the last pair in stock. Would you consider this creasing/wrinkling acceptable on the left shoe? It also has some kind of horizontal creasing back to the heel.

I had some Park Avenues from Amazon a couple weeks ago that I sent back, but on those the leather actually seemed cracked, and it was very noticeable on the black leather. I think on these I can cover up this with polish well enough that it won't be noticeable. Or I could hold onto them until Amazon has more back in stock, claim a defect, and get an exchange. However, there's no telling how long this could take.

[​IMG]

17. Ketawa

Ketawa Senior member

Amazon's pricing is crazy. These were $217 when I ordered from Amazon on Monday and they were sold by Amazon, not a third party seller. Now, for the same pair in black or chili also sold by Amazon, they're $335.

18. Factor Xll

Factor Xll Senior member

Anyone know which AE Last is closest to Alden's Trubalance?

I have bunions and love the way they fit.

I own the Park Ave, fifth Ave and Leeds. Although they fit OK, I feel like they can be better.

I have 9E on the Park Ave and 9 on the leeds.

19. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

completely unacceptable

20. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

For $217 I think they're just fine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.