Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mekato1

mekato1 Well-Known Member

how's the fit of the 3 last compared to 5 last? run longer?

2. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

The balmoral stitching is pretty unforgiving if you happen to have the height of foot that simply won't fit. You could try going up in width...as you allude to, and especially if you live close, it's best to do this in person.

3. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Pk, I like it! Unfortunately (or fortunately, I guess), I went through my closet and got rid of my old standby Cole Haans and India sourced Florsheim Imperials a couple years ago. But, I enjoy your pictures and would like seeing others' collections of ugly shoes next to their "post-enlightenment" shoes.

My shoe collection currently consists of AE, Alden, Crockett & Jones, a few pair of running shoes, and a Couple pair of boots I use for working outside or hunting. After my family's move this weekend, I'll try to snap a couple of pictures again.

4. horsey shoes

horsey shoes Senior member

Same boat here, I purged my non-AE shoes about a year ago and now am 100% AE; with the exception of the running shoes of course.

I did however have some black, pebble leather square toe loafers that I kept for the longest time because I thought they were great.
    When I started bringing in the AEs, I quickly realized how far I was off.
    I believe I used those square toes for a $30 discount during the shoes donation program AE ran last year.

5. seer

seer Senior member

If anyone would like to get rid of their Bayfields at a reasonable price please PM me. Brown or Black. 10 1/2 D or 10E - thanks...

6. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

I tend to have to size down .5 in the 3 last. In the 5 last I wear a 9D, but in the 3 last I'm an 8.5D.

7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Great idea but I also no longer have what would now be my very old shoes either. Thank goodness I never did find a pair of Ecco to fit me!! Both of my sons however, sighhh I feel I have failed.. [​IMG] Although my oldest is starting to catch on but only because of his girlfriend. I love that girl and he needs to marry her ASAP.

If at all possible trying on shoes is always the best and only way to tell if they work or not. Another person had mentioned they had the same problem as you with the PA and the SA had them try one of the black superfeet inserts that AE now carries and it then fit him perfectly. Might be worth a try.

8. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

9. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I love my JCrew PCTs - snap a picture of the two versions of #8 straight out of the box, if you would please. I am interested to see the differences...

I find it is very last specific - the full-toes fit some lasts very well (#1, #5 come to mind). Some lasts work better with the split-toe trees (#7 comes to mind). I personally prefer Epics in most of my loafers, my #1 last PTBs and boots and my Alden Barrie-lasted boots.

Stick around here and you'll have those Cambridges before you know it. In the past, AE has run deals for their shell seconds at $299(!)

Very nice. Those original Moras are hard to come by. Enjoy!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

10. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Does anyone have experience with the Haight chelsea boot, especially pictures in the wild? The photos on the AE website make the burnished brown finish look quite nice. They are about $100 off on this current sale.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

11. James77

James77 Active Member

Just ordered a pair of the Fifth Avenue in Burnished Brown with shoe trees

I went into a local store that carried Allen Edmonds and tried on the Park Avenue in a 7.5D and an 8D. The 8D was great in width but too long in length. In the 7.5D I had the opposite problem, great in length but a bit tight in width. I talked to the people at Allen Edmonds and they told me that the 7.5E would be 3/16 wider than the 8D. That should be perfect for me.

I called up Shoe bank but they didn't have any seconds in the 7.5E. They also didn't have any firsts in that size so they are making them for me. The only issue is that I'm going away for a few weeks on the 31st of October. It's a bit tight but hopefully they will arrive before I leave.

12. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I forgot to upload these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks sloppy and bulkier than expected, note this is the floor model not in my wide size. On a positive note, it has a genuine Dainite sole, which is nice.

[​IMG]

13. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Quote: Thanks for the pictures! It does appear sleeker and darker on the website. One of the few times the AE stock pics actually look nice. Do you think they are worth $265? I've never owned this type of boot.

14. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Isn't the better question whether they are worth the additional ribbing you will get from your coworkers? [​IMG]

15. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

For me, a chelsea boot should look sleek and elegant, this one unfortunately does not. Personally, I'm passing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.