1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

:slayer:
    I've been on a bit of a buying spree lately so I can't even brag to my wife how cool the find is! Now what are the shell rules? Saphir Renovateur yay or nay? If yay, i'll want to use it to clean the hell out of them once I get them! Then I need to decide if the heels need to be replaced!

-J

2. catside

catside Senior member

Mingus, Polo shell numbers are 8284/8281. There may be others but this is what i have.
    I restore old shell with Venetian cream and brushing for a long long time.
    By the way if you don't replace the suicide heels, I should warn you they are pretty dangerous.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  3. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

Noted!

4. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

Looks like 59439 in the picture. . .and then something underneath it. . .so I guess maybe they're not shell?

-J

5. catside

catside Senior member

I think they are shell. I will try to find a pic.

6. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

Well, the good news is that I'll have my new phone (better camera to take pics at work) before the shoes arrive - meaning I can post better pics. If they're NOT shell, I may just have them resoled at a local cobbler if the uppers are in the condition they appear to be in the pics. Being that they should be resoled NOW or at least SOON, recrafting would only be an option for me if they are shell. If not, they're not shoes i'd pay $150 total (with the recrafting) for. If they are calf, i'll just clean them up a bit, have them resoled locally (for less than half the price of recrafting) and have some nice looking knock around shoes!

-J

7. catside

catside Senior member

The style number will be in the second line. When you get them you can check with capnwes from thrifting forum who has an inexhaustible knowledge of old AE catalogues. Better yet post the pics at thrifting forum, this counts as brag at that price.

8. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

9.5D is my size!!! Third time a charm. I was having fears that going down from 10D to 9.5D would mean my balmorals would not close enough and would look like bluchers. However they close enough IMO. Wow once you find your right size, AE are SUPER comfortable. They fit like gloves and I hardly realize I have shoes on.

9. Barroomheroes

Barroomheroes Well-Known Member

New AE Clifton's with se Saphir and about an hours worth of Kiwi on each toe.. [​IMG]

10. Ketawa

Ketawa Senior member

I'm having some second thoughts on my Sanfords. Do others have problems with the toe on the 7 last? My left pinkie toe feels too scrunched up against the side of the shoe. The right shoe fits perfectly.

I think I can still return them since I've only worn them on carpet. I might have to avoid shoes on the 7 last.

Unfortunately these are 13D. A 14D would almost certainly be too long and a 13E would probably be too wide, especially on the right shoe.

Looking at AE's descriptions of the lasts, I think I might have more success on the 1, 4, or 5 last.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  11. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

I can't believe I missed that webgem. The orange grain just works tremendously well.

12. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

:slayer::slayer:

13. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Wow :satisfied:

14. Barroomheroes

One more in better lighting.. The IPhone 5 camera isn't as good as I thought. [​IMG]

15. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

Wow I never seem to get such a good shine in the toe no matter what I do.

16. Barroomheroes

You have to "bull" the toe.. Takes time but is worth it. Now I need to figure out the rest of the shoe. I have no desire to spend 3 more hours shining tonight..

17. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

Bull the toe maybe that's my problem I don't know what that means

18. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Beautiful. Well done.

I bull everything I own and then stop. Post pics if you work on the whole thing!

19. dancingbear

dancingbear Senior member

Warning: Do not use Renovateur on the AE dress belt (at least walnut for sure). I just did and it pulled the color right off leaving a splotchy mess. Ugh.

On the positive side, it worked great on the burgundy shell belt.

20. Barroomheroes

Michael, here is a quick video I found on YouTube.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.