1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catside

catside Well-Known Member

^ those are big for you.

2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

There is a great example of color change back a few pages with wax. However it takes a LOT of coats and time to do it with just wax.

My plan especially after seeing them was to first use saddle soap and scrub them down well with hot water and saddle soap several times. AE recommends saddle soap for treating Dublin leather. I only use fiberings 100% glycerin bar saddle soap. The scientific community uses glycerin and just that (maybe a little bit of lanolin with it) to treat and preserve leather. After several several cleanings with a sponge, hot water and soap let dry completely over night. Cleaning the surface will help anything you add sink in better. Cutting with something like Reno'mat would be even better with calf but with Dublin I have no idea what the results would be outside of saddle soap which has proven to be safe. Cream works better than polish for color change in my experience, but it is more permanent and harder to undo. After they are dry the next thing I would do is test a spot off to the side of the tongue with some neatsfoot oil to see what happens. My thought is that it should darken it, you can control the amount of darkness by the number of coats of neatsfoot oil. Seer did this and I followed suit to darken our tan Dublin McTavish which were too light for our taste.

After 4 coats they were about as dark as my Elgin's:

[​IMG]

It also brings out the highlights even more.

If the test spot is successful I would use black shoe cream along the stitching using the wingtip photo as a template. After brushing that out I was going to use AE chili premium wax which contains a fair amount of cream. Depending on results of that I would alternate between black and burgundy paste wax to get the desired results. And the wax will provide a good amount of waterproofing as bucksfan Amsterdam's with clear wax the other day are proof. And I will second it.

Not that I have given any thought to this over the last couple of days LOL. Good luck and post pictures when your done no matter what you do.

3. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Echo that....

[​IMG]

Fit is about perfect, I had to size down my Elgins by a half size.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  4. kuslamb

kuslamb Well-Known Member

What laces come with Strands and 5 Aves? I ask bc they are all $.50 online and I may throw in a couple with an upcoming order.

I assume rawhide waxed, but want to confirm before I make this significant investment...

5. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

Rawhide as in leather?

I thought the laces were cotton.

How often do you guys change your laces?

6. kuslamb

kuslamb Well-Known Member

7. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Well-Known Member

Cold iron I see you post a picture of a Elgin and was not sure that message was for me since what I want to do is burnish or darken my new pair of Krause

8. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Well-Known Member

So cold iron your suggesting to give the boot a good cleaning with saddle soap and use a black cream. I have a tube of the premium polish from AE would that work.

9. SloopyNoob

SloopyNoob Well-Known Member

Is it just me or does the Wolverine Krause look "chubby"? I was a little taken back by how it looks in real life when I opened the box today.

10. Mazderati

Mazderati Well-Known Member

11. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Well-Known Member

not having seen my pair yet, i'm assuming that it's supposed to be chubby. it's a work boot, can't imagine a sleek workboot being very useful while you're building a skyscraper and/or sitting at a desk all day. :slayer:

12. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Well-Known Member

black pas or merlot macallisters for an interview in a navy suit?

13. catside

catside Well-Known Member

It's chubby. See my photos up.

14. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

I would go with the black PA's

15. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

I would get the Allen Edmonds cleaner/conditioner and the carnauba polish. That should keep them looking great for a long time.

I like both the Strand and McAllister. But I own 2 pair of McAllister and no Strands, so I must prefer the McAllister. I do own the Parliament which is essentially a Strand on the 678 last. I personally would go with the McAllisters - I think they would look better in a size 15-16.

Chris

16. cidr

cidr Member

Exchanging these for the 2nd time, what do you guys think? Wish I could try these in person.

First pair was 11.5D, too long and tight. Measured 11D on the fit guide, don't know why I went 11.5.
    These are 11 3E, still too long and a they feel overly wide.
    My next choices are either 10.5 E or 3E,

To those of you with multiple pairs in the 5 Last, how's the fit between them and Strands?

Thoughts? Here are some pics.

Pushing forward all I can, I can fit 3 fingers.

[​IMG]

Where the big toe ends without pushing.

[​IMG]

Wonder how different the gap is between widths is.

[​IMG]

Here's how the 11.5D Strands fit. Definitely not as tight but still not that different.

[​IMG]

17. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

Yeesh - very sorry to hear this. I would contact AE and see if they can help you. In the future, use only a horsehair brush for most of the care, and nylon stockings or cotton polish rags. Good luck!

They look very good - Enjoy!

Very nice - congrats! I have found especially with boots, that they will get beat up quickly, so those sorts of wrinkles generally don't bother me.

I buy them mostly for me - to look professional. Any positive comments I get are just gravy. Very nice Sanfords - they look fairly well worn, but very well cared for.

I will check... I asked for the full list of all shoes in stock in my size... to prep.

They look very nice! It will be interesting to see how they wear over time.

Sorry to hear that, C.I. - hope the tan ones fit and are in better shape. Thanks for the info regarding fit.

I posted a few tips a couple days ago - basically, always use shoe trees, don't wear the shoes on consecutive days, and get a brush, some conditioner / cleaner and color- matching polish. Treat them with the conditioner / cleaner to keep them moisturized, and polish them up when they look like they need it.

I like both the Strand and Mcallister. You won't go wrong with either, though I will say the McAllister will probably balance out the large expanse of leather better. Good luck!

Yes, Brogue can be used as a noun, as in a type of shoe that has brogueing (decorative holes, basically).

18. Spyder187

Spyder187 Active Member

Hey guys, with the Dublin leather/oily leathers, can we use the Allen Edmonds Premium Polish on them (ie. to change the colour)?

19. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

I take the same size in all my 5-last shoes, though my Strands feel the smallest of them all. I would try an 11E first then a 10.5 E.

20. Laundry Troll

Laundry Troll Member

Quick question: I finally got my first pair of AE's in the mail yesterday, a pair of black Park Avenues. I've read multiple places that the best polish to use on them is the AE black polish, but I was wondering if my black Kiwi polish would suffice. I used it for my five years in the Navy and never had any problems, but I wanted to hear some opinions before I start slathering it on. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.