1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior Member

Pk35216,

Good story, nice pics and congratulations on your new shell shoe wardrobe. Post a photo of those strands up when you get a chance. Pictures outdoors are also much better at showing shell's patina, if you are interested in doing that.

My approach with new shell is to use nothing but a brush for the first 3 months, since the shell has so many waxes, and AE puts wax on top of that. I usually brush for about 15 minutes per shoe after each wearing, and wear them only on carpet for a few wearings. This makes sure they fit right and gives the soles a chance to break in to your foot before you grind the toe down on concrete.

When it comes time to add some wax, I use saphir renovateur if I am trying to keep the same color or a bit of kiwi burgundy or black wax if I don't mind making them darker.

AE's cordovan cream is a good product too, but I only use that (and very sparingly!) after the shoes are a year + old.

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Distinguished Member

This is a great question and one I have similar feelings about. My experience is that women definitely do notice shoes, but as you say, their tastes and/or knowledge don't line up with what we here perceive as quality shoes. These square toed shoes sell because guys are wearing them into bars and women are telling them they look good. Nordstrom is littered with positive reviews of crappy glued-together square-toed shoes, many of which are written by men who took advice from their wives, or even by women themselves. I am also sure that men care about construction and build quality much more than women do when it comes to shoes (it's the same as guys being into mechanical watches and cars); women couldn't care less whether a shoe is glued or welted.

Having said that, the one AE shoe that I consistently get compliments on from women is the Clifton.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

3. ddsg

ddsg Well-Known Member

I get comments all the time on my walnut Rutledges and occasionally on my brown Fifth Avenues (only when they've been recently shine). From what I've gathered, women seem to be more drawn towards flashier colors/designs, something that most AE shoes aren't particularly known for. Put one of those square toed monstrosities next to a nice pair of walnut Strands or Daltons and I'm sure most women would give the nod to AE.

4. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Distinguished Member

Hey, awesome post. Thanks for the description of your restoration method and your advice on polishing. And congratulation on the shoes - they are great!

5. wigglr

wigglr Distinguished Member

Awesome post! Great one to wake up in the morning to. I felt the passion!

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

Women picking out men's shoes is a weird thing. My wife hates my Park Avenues (too old mannish) and my walnut Strands took close to a year to grow on her (now, she suggests wearing them). Just the other day we were doing a closet purge, and I tried to pitch an old pair of ECCO black bicycle toe venetian loafers and her response was, "yeah, you're right, it's probably time to get you a new pair; I really like those." My response was to smile and put them back on the shoe rack, since there is no way I'm spending a dollar on another pair of Ecco's (or wearing them anytime soon).

7. random-adam

random-adam Distinguished Member

Seconded. Tonight I'm going to make it a point to rub the water welts out of my black shell Leeds and get them back to the shine they deserve; PK35216, this will be all your fault.

8. msulinski

msulinski Distinguished Member

I have a pair of Ecco bicyle toe lace-ups that I am considering pitching. The only reason I can see keeping them is to wear them when it snows. I would still likely end up bringing a decent pair of shoes to put on once I arrive in the office, because the thought of wearing those Eccos for an entire day disturbs me.

9. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Distinguished Member

Perhaps most of the time people can tell when someone is dressed well -- I don't necessarily mean suit versus not, but, say, among men wearing suits (or some other style of dress) -- however, (1) they might not be able to articulate why they are dressed better than similarly dressed men, and (2) sometimes they'll think something that's actually in poor taste looks good. I think these are the main things I gained when getting into style about 2 years ago. I began to understand the reasons a better dressed person was in fact better dressed, and why some things I previously thought looked good did not (square toed shoes, for example).

Incidentally, Dappered is in my RSS feed and I like most of the material.

That sounds about right. :)

This is not a knock on women, but you are probably right that an appeal to material and construction might not hold as much weight with women, probably because they are not commonly deciding factors for their own clothing. I've never seen a woman look at a tag to see information about materials, for example, though I'm sure there are those who do.

It's also kind of interesting that the two main mens shoe styles I see walking through the airport, for example, are black square toed shoes and things way on the other side of the spectrum like kiltie tassel loafers.

That's a good point. I think color and style are the main things people would notice. Black PAs likely wouldn't get noticed (that's kind of the point of the shoe, I suppose). In fact, the only person to ever compliment my black PAs was my 90 year old grandma. Otherwise, I have received compliments on a pair of okay burgundy tassel loafers I got at a thrift store when I was starting out, perhaps because of the tassels. My walnut Strands have been noticed ("whoa, look at those shoes"), but I don't know that they have ever been complimented -- except by my wife, who was skeptical when I first showed her pictures online, and then when she saw them in person, said something like "oh, I really like those."

A story along these lines: I once sent a friend a link to some wingtips (I think AE McAllisters), and he remarked that they must be expensive because of the "detailing" (he was referring to the broguing). I wonder what people would say if you set a pair of light brown Kenneth Cole wingtips next to a pair of unbrogued black cap toe balmoral Gaziano & Girlings.

That's pretty funny. Give her some credit though for coming around to the Strands.

Some may disagree, but I think it's worthwhile to keep one beater pair of shoes around for occasions such as these. I have considered putting the tassel loafers I mentioned above in my desk at work in case weather takes a turn for the worse.

10. MrChris

MrChris Senior Member

After less than 10 times of use the heel on one of the soles of my AE Strand has started to separate from the shoe (see area inside red circle in pictures below), the camera deosn't capture it very well, but it is a truly noticable gap in real life.
    I'm really disapointed! The problem is that I bought the shoes in NYC and live in Sweden, does anyone know how the repair/refund process works in my case?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. New Shoes1

The problem is with the adhesive that AE used in the manufacturing process. The repair is to simply put some glue in the split and close it up, which can be done by your local cobbler.

12. MrChris

MrChris Senior Member

Thank's!
    Yes I know it's not a difficult repair process, it's just that this kind of problem shouldn't have to occur this quickly with this type of shoe. I know it's not G&G or Edward Green quality but still they cost a considerable amount and at that price one shouldn't have to face this type of error.

13. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior Member

Yeah, I dont like the Leeds either. Ive looked at several pics of the leeds now, and they just dont jive with me. Entirely too plain/blobby/clunky. - Something that the Allen Edmond design is already prone to, but seems to be exacerbated by the design concept of the Leeds. I could only possibly imagine wearing them with jeans, but other than that, they'd have no place in my wardrobe, frankly.

14. random-adam

random-adam Distinguished Member

I did this on my own to some pricey custom sandals whose leather footbed started separating from the rubber sole. Used some of this stuff and a toothpick to apply it. Five minutes of work and 24h to let it set. I agree that it shouldn't happen that quickly with high-dollar footwear (I'd owned these sandals for two weeks), but figured it would be faster, cheaper, and just as good as taking it to a cobbler or sending them back to the folks who made them.

15. New Shoes1

AE's CEO posted about the issue on the Ask Andy website and attributed the problem to several factors that have now been corrected (new adhesive supplier and too much time and distance between application of adhesive and putting heel on). You could see if AE will return and pick up the shipping, but, when I was faced with the same issue, I chose to just get the quick fix and not be without my shoes for weeks on end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.