1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

No, you have to call or email them. They can email you a list of everything in your size if you just want to browse.

2. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

You have to call the AE outlets. If you deal with the shoe bank you either have to call or email them and ask for a list of shoes you are liking for and sizes. Google AE shoe bank for the number.

I hope those krause boots are not as red as what bucksfan photographed and more like this picture:
    [​IMG]

3. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I agree on the color but I'm not concerned. I will darken them or get them "more" brown using cream or wax/polish. While it's obviously not a unicorn boot, I'm really excited to get them at that price.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  4. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I passed on these boots (as seconds) because I had a problem with the cap toe but looking at your pic, the color and patina of that shell is amazing! And they will look better with age as well. Very tempting.

5. catside

catside Senior member

6. cidr

cidr Member

Does anyone know if there's an upcoming sale on shoe tree or should I just grab AE's at $20?

7. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Jos a bank runs a 3 for 1 deal occasionally.

8. Karembeu

Karembeu Active Member

Quote:
    Shoe bank is selling them for $15.99 right now. Going to pick up a few myself.

Unrelated question that should probably go in the shoe care thread but I thought I'd try asking here first.

I've just started working recently and have never bought any nice shoes before. I just splurged and got a few pairs these past few weeks and need some pointers on how to care for them. I've tried reading through the shoe care threads but they are immensely long and a bit of information overload, especially since I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the terms/types of shoes/products/etc.

Right now, I have a pair of black AE Park Avenues, black AE McAllisters, walnut AE Strands, dark brown Bruno Magli Calvon, and dark brown Bruno Magli Mydrone.

In terms of caring for these, what do I have to do? I've seen comments from people saying that I have to care for them before I even wear them. Do I just use a cleaner/conditioner before I wear for the first time?

Also for products, is this enough or do some of these serve duplicate purposes?

AE Horsehair Shine Brush (do I need multiple brushes for different colors (e.g., 1 for black, 1 for brown?)
    AE Horsehair Dauber (same question regarding multiple for different colors)
    AE Conditioner/Cleaner
    AE Premium Shoe Polish (1 black and 1 dark brown, or neutral???)
    Saphir Renovateur
    AE Shoe Trees

If that's enough, what's the basic process for care? Every week or two weeks I'm supposed to...?

Sorry for the newbie question but I'm really lost in this. Thanks!

9. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Everyone has a different process, but what you listed will work just fine.

If you want to be more economical, I have good results using:
    - Kiwi horse-hair brush from the supermarket (it is advised to use one for each colour, but I do not abide by this, personally)
    - Old shirts or fabric for wiping down shoes, applying and buffing product
    - Kiwi wax polish, you would want Black, Brown and Neutral or Tan for the Walnut
    - Whatever decent shoe trees are on sale, Jos A Banks or $10 ones from Nordstrom's Rack

10. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

Thanks CI, I will check out the meindl boots next time I am at cabelas. :)

11. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I wore them maybe 10-12 times over the course of five weeks and the toe cap started to come unstitched. Looking at it more closely, it appears the toe cap was not fully sewn on. There was a solid inch that was not sewn on and I suspect they had been glued to stay down. I emailed AE, who told me to contact Wolverine. I emailed Wolverine, who told me, "tough luck."

After I get them fixed, I'll likely sell them and never purchase a damn thing from Wolverine again. I understand they're seconds, but they're still over $600 and it's massively frustrating they A) would sell a boot with such a defect in the first place and B) not stand behind the product afterward. Wolverine is, as far as I am concerned, a shit company and I have no interest in their products anymore.

12. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

+1. I use the Allen Edmonds cleaner/conditioner and premium shoe polish. But I also use a little black kiwi wax on the toe caps of my Park Avenues. The brand of brushes doesn't really matter, as long as they are horsehair (some of them are more comfortable in your hand, though). I do use a separate brush for black/brown, although I don't know if this is a must. I'm also a big proponent of using old t-shirts as polish rags; they work just fine.

13. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

Bootspell can you tell me what color polish you plan on using. I was thinking of some saphir burgandy wax or maybe something black cherry to darken them up a bit

14. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

I would like to know this as well.

I've been looking at pictures of the krause boot and it is hard to gauge the color. I currently have saphir mahogony cream polish but i'm thinking the saphir burgundy might be a better color. We'll just have to wait and see once I receive a pair.

15. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

+1. Basically, go easy on the product. In your situation, I'd go with a brush for black and one for brown. When you add burgundy shoes, get a separate brush for those. Treat the shoes with some sort of conditioner / cleaner periodically, and then brush them up and use a clean shirt or polishing cloth.

Then, apply the polish from the can to your old t-shirt and onto the shoe. Let it "haze" then use the right brush to brush it off. Buff with a clean shirt or polishing cloth, and consider whether they need a second light coat.

When they look like they need it, do it again. If you want to lengthen the time between polishing sessions, I have had good success with a damp rag followed by brushing with a horsehair brush after wearing (yes, on calfskin shoes as well as shell shoes).

Daubers can be skipped, in favor of old t-shirts. Kiwi wax is good stuff, just go easy on it.

16. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

What do you guys think of AE carnuba wax? I have that for my black and burgundy shoes (though the Premium Polish for walnut and brown)? Will be using it with Saphir Reno. I assume that you use the wax first and then Reno?

17. Karembeu

Karembeu Active Member

Thanks Mario, Firefox, and bucks. This will give me a good basis to work off of.

18. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

As itsmejson says, we have to wait and see what color arrives and how the pair each receives is IRL. There could be variation.

If I end up wanting to just darken them (as opposed to making them more brown), I might just apply AE cleaner/conditioner as I've seen that darken some of my boots. I've also found that neutral Meltonian cream darkens as well. Otherwise, I'll just use my usual Saphir Reno. More later when the boots arrive. Hope others will share what they're doing as well.

19. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I just bought some, but haven't used it yet. I would recommend Reno then wax.

20. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

And so do I. Reno is basically the same as AE cleaner\conditioner, but I like Reno a bit better. I like AE wax for a high polish. The premium polish contains cream and wax and isn't quite as high of a shine in my experience. Both work well. AE has several videos on shoe care that are basic but good. http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/ShoeCareView?catalogId=40000000001&langId=-1&storeId=1

My thought is that the boots pictured on the wingtip site have been burnished. There was a discussion about burnishing by the factory vs. doing it your self awhile back. As said we will have to wait and see what they look like in real life. My thoughts so far are black shoe cream on the stitching like the wingtip picture and go from there. I did darken my dublin leather McTavish with neatsfoot oil after seer did his and they turned out well, that may be one path. Not sure what the finish on these boots is like and will just have to wait and see. Also interested in what others will do once they are in hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.