Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Essential

Essential Senior member

This might be a bit early but does anyone know when the AE 2 for $200 sale is? I'm itching for new shoes.

2. jch1

jch1 Senior member

Has anyone seen additional pictures of the Hudson shoe being offered on UD?

3. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Senior member

I'm looking for a little help with Allen Edmonds sizing, as I am considering purchasing what would be my first pair online. I tried the shoe fit guide you can download from their website, and appear to be measuring longer than I should be, like approximately a 16 in the heel-to-toe measurement. Since I always fit a us 14, euro 47, I found that a bit odd. Has anyone else had this experience? Alternatively, I'm going to try to go by a store that carries them and fit them myself, but I just was hoping I could get some feedback on this.

4. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Rene, as you may or may not know, Allen Edmonds various shoe models are built on various lasts or forms. This of itself means that there is no 'one size fits all' application. You should be properly measured in a store by a qualified salesperson and order through the store. This way, if there are fit issues, you'll be able to exchange them for another pair (provided you never wore them outside). Buying online is better left to those who have experience with what they are buying. In your case, though you may get lucky, chances are you may end up purchasing a pair of shoes that don't fit properly and may not be able to return. Man up and pay retail, or if you live close to {or can make a trip to} an Allen Edmonds factory seconds outlet., this may be the best option.

5. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

I used AE Conditioner on a brand new black shoe (Jefferson) and a lot of black came off on the cloth. Is that normal for a black shoe?
    It didn't happen with my walnut.

6. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I noticed this on the Harrison as well, compared to when I had the Park Ave in black. It did not dilute the black leather, but it was concerning...

7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Thank you and both your points are very good ones, the Strand will be offered in bourbon Oct. 15th by AE, while not a wingtip it would be another option and think I'll wait too now.

Quote:
    That sounds like cream instead of wax polish. I spent over an hour last night with Reno trying to get all of the cream off my Dundee's, had to throw one rag away because it was solid red. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think someone at the final finishing stage was heavy handed with the cream.

8. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

"Conditioner"

9. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

Not sure if it's been mentioned, I saw signs for a new AE store in NYC on 43rd between 5th and 6th.

10. randomhero88

randomhero88 Well-Known Member

These showed up at my office today for me. Didn't even sit in the box for 2 minutes before I was wearing them:[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

11. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

That may be an old shoe store that recently closed (I forgot their name, but apparently they used to be a large AE dealer). It really confuses me why they needed another one in the area, as they already have one on 44th and Madison, one at 30 Rockerfeller and another store in the 50s. As a midtown worker, I have to say, I'm not exactly complaining though [​IMG]... If their business model can support so many expensive locations, good for them (and us)!

12. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Bayfield cleanup--part deux:

Before:
    [​IMG]

After (damp wipe down, AE conditioner, AE Polish-Chili, 90 seconds or so of brushing per boot, same time buffing, Fiebig edge dressing:
    [​IMG]

Attempt at macro shot of toe leather, before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Took about 25 minutes. These boots wear like iron, but very comfy. CXL is great leather.:nodding:

13. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

These women probably go nuts over their boyfriends' new square-toed Kenneth Cole loafers.

I have received more compliments from my dress boots than any shoe, save my walnut Strand.

14. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Yes, and even a just slightly damp rag will remove AE shoe cream as I found out the night I got my Dundee's. And the next day on the Maiden Voyage which turned into a shakedown cruise when it rained and they got soaked and the rag I wiped them down with turned red. AE conditioner is actually a Cleaner\Conditioner. If you want straight Conditioner I would use the AE leather lotion or Bicks 4 is good also.

Pretty sure the Jefferson's are treated with cream, at least the dark brown. I do not own the black so can not say for sure however. I wanted a bit more shine on the toe box area and heel counters so use paste wax on them. In any event I would not worry about it and would try to remove the excess cream. I wouldn't go as drastic as using Renomat and strip them, just get the excess off.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

15. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

I would like to know this as well..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.