• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jch1

Reaction score
Nobody is interested in the Hudsons? Is there a comparable shoe I could try at the store to gauge fit?

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nobody is interested in the Hudsons?  Is there a comparable shoe I could try at the store to gauge fit? 

i like the Hudsons. I like all three, actually - but sometimes you have to realistic and limit yourself. ;)

I think the Hudson should fit similar to the McGraw, since it's on the same last. In fact, I think it is the McGraw - the pattern in the strap look the same. The Dornich is also a loafer on this last.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF8904_1_40000000001_-1

Last edited:

jch1

Reaction score
i like the Hudsons. I like all three, actually - but sometimes you have to realistic and limit yourself.
wink.gif

I think the Hudson should fit similar to the McGraw, since it's on the same last. In fact, I think it is the McGraw - the pattern in the strap look the same. The Dornich is also a loafer on this last.
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF8904_1_40000000001_-1
Hmm. I can't tell if it's more like the McGraw or the Dornoch. Regarding slip-ons: because I'm extremely flat-footed, I always have trouble with the area on the shoe just above the arch appears to bow out quite a bit. Is it advisable to select a narrower width (from my usual D width) for slip-ons?

Storm33

Reaction score

I don't know if 2 pairs of longwings will be duplicative (Hoping someone can validate my obsession with pics of owning multiple MacNeils haha) , but I couldn't resist because of how well the 4 last fits me.

It's all about the colors. You can have multiple longwings as long as the colors aren't overlapping. I'm out of the game for Gramercy only because of my cigar shell Alden longwings (which I'm wearing today, but must admit the Gramercy are in Cognac calf are beautiful, and tempting). I also have burgundy shell MacNeils and chocolate brown suede Alden longwings - each of which has their place. If AE offers walnut shell MacNeils sometime in the future, I may jump on them.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Breaking news on the the UrbanDaddy specials!!!!

I emailed them asking about the last for the Gramercy, as well as how long the sale will last.

The Gramercy looks like the MacNeil, but they had it listed as the 4 last. It is, however, on the 7; same as the regular MacNeil - the website now reflects this.

Also, sale goes until September 24.

See the response I received:

You are correct, we have updated the site to reflect the proper last. The shoes will be available on the site until September 24th.

Best,
Vanessa

So I think it's safe to say now that these are special editions of the McAllister, the Hudson, and the MacNeil, and they should fit the same as those shoes.

Last edited:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed on the AE site the Ridgeway is finished in Cognac do you think the Gramercy is similar in color minus the orange stitching?

Somewhat and I was looking at it last night trying to figure out the same thing. The pictures on the AE site isn't usually the best to judge the final shoe by. The Hudson and Gramercy shoes are Dublin Cognac and the Amsterdam Calf. Doing some digging I found that Dublin leather is basically the rough collection shoe leather which is supplied by Horween.

http://horween.wordpress.com/2011/11/04/essex-and-dublin/

I have the Elgin, McTavish and Black Hills from the rough collection. The Elgin has the nicest finish of the 3 IMO and I wore them yesterday. I noticed how the wax finish is getting better as they age and the more I wear them. They are much more like a dress shoe than the other 2 however I have neatsfoot oil on the McTavish and HDLP on the Black Hills. The Elgin straight out of the box was finished a bit nicer than the other 2 somehow, even though they were seconds. But seem flawless.

That Amsterdam in calf just keeps drawing me in. Honestly I think most people would not notice the difference between someone else wearing the Mcallister and Strand if the color is the same so still undecided and will likely wait till the Strand comes out in Cognac calf on Oct 15. I certainly do notice the difference between the 2 shoes and really do like the idea of having a shoe that not many others do with the Amsterdam. These are custom Made To Order shoes and still should be covered by AE for warranty and recrafting, etc. But they can not be exchanged for another model shoe, only the same shoe in a different size which is standard practice for AE MTO.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Somewhat and I was looking at it last night trying to figure out the same thing. The pictures on the AE site isn't usually the best to judge the final shoe by. The Hudson and Gramercy shoes are Dublin Cognac and the Amsterdam Calf. Doing some digging I found that Dublin leather is basically the rough collection shoe leather which is supplied by Horween.

http://horween.wordpress.com/2011/11/04/essex-and-dublin/

I have the Elgin, McTavish and Black Hills from the rough collection. The Elgin has the nicest finish of the 3 IMO and I wore them yesterday. I noticed how the wax finish is getting better as they age and the more I wear them. They are much more like a dress shoe than the other 2 however I have neatsfoot oil on the McTavish and HDLP on the Black Hills. The Elgin straight out of the box was finished a bit nicer than the other 2 somehow, even though they were seconds. But seem flawless.

That Amsterdam in calf just keeps drawing me in. Honestly I think most people would not notice the difference between someone else wearing the Mcallister and Strand if the color is the same so still undecided and will likely wait till the Strand comes out in Cognac calf on Oct 15. I certainly do notice the difference between the 2 shoes and really do like the idea of having a shoe that not many others do with the Amsterdam. These are custom Made To Order shoes and still should be covered by AE for warranty and recrafting, etc. But they can not be exchanged for another model shoe, only the same shoe in a different size which is standard practice for AE MTO

You have to be extra careful with this sale. The fine print says that the shoes are eligible for recrafting, but that they are only returnable for quality issues; not even exchange for different size. I imagine this was part of the deal for UD getting the great price.

"Returns are accepted on unused items for quality issues only within 30 days of receipt. To make a return, please contact Allen Edmonds at 877-817-7615 or via email.
There are no exchanges."

And +1 on the Amsterdam. The color tone is really awesome on that. I can see wearing them with a power suit. Their description as "deal closers" is apt. ;)

Last edited:

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have to be extra careful with this sale. The fine print says that the shoes are eligible for recrafting, but that they are only returnable for quality issues; not even exchange for different size. I imagine this was part of the deal for UD getting the great price.
"Returns are accepted on unused items for quality issues only within 30 days of receipt. To make a return, please contact Allen Edmonds at 877-817-7615 or via email.
There are no exchanges."
And +1 on the Amsterdam. The color tone is really awesome on that. I can see wearing them with a power suit. Their description as "deal closers" is apt.
wink.gif

This is killing me cause I am obsessing over the shoes, yet would love the safety net of AE customer service

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are no exchanges."
And +1 on the Amsterdam. The color tone is really awesome on that. I can see wearing them with a power suit. Their description as "deal closers" is apt.
wink.gif

Great catch! And that would worry me more than anything else. The 3 rough collection shoes I have I had to go down a half size, and they are Dublin leather. The UD Dublin Leather shoes are not part of the rough collection from what I can tell. But the AE Ridgeway is also Dublin leather and the 2 reviews for it both say it runs very long and large. That would be a tough one to call if you can't return them....

spitshine123

Reaction score
Breaking news on the the UrbanDaddy specials!!!!
I emailed them asking about the last for the Gramercy, as well as how long the sale will last.
The Gramercy looks like the MacNeil, but they had it listed as the 4 last. It is, however, on the 7; same as the regular MacNeil - the website now reflects this.
Also, sale goes until September 24.
See the response I received:
You are correct, we have updated the site to reflect the proper last. The shoes will be available on the site until September 24th.
Best,
Vanessa

So I think it's safe to say now that these are special editions of the McAllister, the Hudson, and the MacNeil, and they should fit the same as those shoes.

Thanks for the info. I am really disappointed because I ordered and the 7 last does not fit me. I couldn't find a good email address or phone number to contact them at- can you please let me know how you contacted them?

Thanks

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great catch! And that would worry me more than anything else. The 3 rough collection shoes I have I had to go down a half size, and they are Dublin leather. The UD Dublin Leather shoes are not part of the rough collection from what I can tell. But the AE Ridgeway is also Dublin leather and the 2 reviews for it both say it runs very long and large. That would be a tough one to call if you can't return them....

Actually, this combined with your description of the Dublin leather made me think twice. I didn't realize the Hudson and Gramercy are using "rougher" leather (for lack of a better description). Also the last on the Gramercy had me excited, until they fixed the description.

Also, the 7 last is particularly finicky with regard to sizing. I had to go up a half size on my MacNeils.

I think these are really for someone looking for a great price who knows exactly what they want and/or needs shoes. I'm not too concerned about missing out on the special colors; AE does so many webgems and special makeups, something else will come along soon enough.

Last edited:

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the info. I am really disappointed because I ordered and the 7 last does not fit me. I couldn't find a good email address or phone number to contact them at- can you please let me know how you contacted them?

Thanks

Spitshine, I emailed this address and got a very fast reply:

[email protected]

Also have this one (Vanessa, who emailed me back):
[email protected]

Finally, found this number on their website:
888-999-0775

They say that it takes 24 hours to process your order. And given the mistake on the last information on their part, I hope they are amenable to cancelling your order.

Good luck!

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks

+1

mikeman

Reaction score
Got a response from Vanessa at UrbanDaddy. More pics!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads