• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

seer

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased the new Park Ave in gray? I would like to see some real life pictures. Thanks.

rogejo321

Reaction score

Hello gents. Been wearing my Fifth Streets for about a week now and notice there is a crease on the inside arch area of the boot. Is this normal? I am afraid this might be a symptom of being too tight.

Interesting, I have this same creasing on my Strands as well. I am wondering if it is a fit issue. I was fitted for them at the AE store on Madison Avenue, so you would think they knew what they were doing.

TRIALnERROR

Reaction score
I purchased my first pair of Park Ave's and I'm having an issue with "bowing out" around my ankles. I'm usually a 9 (D), but I've tried sizing up and down by a half size and I still have the issue. These are factory shipped virgins, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

After almost a dozen pair of shoes, I believe I found a happy medium with my new AE's. My new Boardroom's came in yesterday and the 7 last seems to fit me much better than the PA's I returned because of the bowing. My only concern with the new shoes is a divot that appears on the welt of the shoes. It is most noticeable on the right shoe. I exchanged the pair I received directly from AE for 1/2 size bigger at JAB. Both pairs had the divot mark and I was told that is where the stitching ends. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Original Boardroom in size 9 with divot:

Exchanged for new Boardroom's in 9 1/2 with divot:

bucksfan

Reaction score
Congrats on finding the right last and size for your foot! The Boardroom is on the 7 last right? - there are lots of other AE shoes on that last, so you should have lots of other options going forward.

That is where the welt is attached to the upper. Every 360 degree goodyear welted shoe has it. The welt begins there, they sew the welt onto the upper all the way around, and it ends there. I figure they tried to make it begin and end in the least conspicuous place possible, the interior of the heel.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The AE website photos are horrible. I emailed customer feedback regarding this issue. [email protected]

If you feel the same way, please email AE and tell them to you want to see better photos on the website.

Fine idea, and done.

Amsterdam in Bourbon looks really nice

Damn you fiestaplatypus!! Well OK actually that was a great find... I really need to stay the hell off here especially after what I spent with AE over the last week.
shog[1].gif

I really do like the Amsterdam in Bourbon also. It does look the McAllister which I have in walnut calf and it would fill that "void" which exists in my collection perfectly. Looks like it is on the 5 last they list it as 65 so think they dropped the 5-65 when they did the description. Looking at the 2012 Supplemental Catalog I do not see it listed. The closest would be the Strand in Bourbon calf which is released October 15th. Which would be a perfect complement to the walnut shell Strands. On the other hand it is hard to tell the true color because the catalog pictures are as bad as the website.... If the urban daddy website pictures are true to life think that is going to be a hard one to resist.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look like the McAllister (Amsterdam), new Patriot loafer (Hudson), and MacNeil (Gramercy) in some of the new fall colors. Perhaps it is like Brooks Brothers where they use a different name for the various models?
Chris

Does anyone know how long these are available for? I love the MacNeil on a different last!

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long these are available for? I love the MacNeil on a different last!
I really want to buy it, but I'm afraid of not having AE's legendary customer service and returns

millerbk

Reaction score
So I would really like to see some more pictures of the Gramercy it really looks like a nice shoe of course I'm only going off of one picture. Has anybody purchased them yet? I would really like to pull the trigger and get a pair.

spitshine123

Reaction score
I really want to buy it, but I'm afraid of not having AE's legendary customer service and returns

I just jumped for the Gramercy in Cognac! I tried on (and also ordered the Regent Street)... I don't know if 2 pairs of longwings will be duplicative (Hoping someone can validate my obsession with pics of owning multiple MacNeils haha) , but I couldn't resist because of how well the 4 last fits me. Does anybody have pictures of how AE's old cognac looked?

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just jumped for the Gramercy in Cognac! I tried on (and also ordered the Regent Street)... I don't know if 2 pairs of longwings will be duplicative (Hoping someone can validate my obsession with pics of owning multiple MacNeils haha) , but I couldn't resist because of how well the 4 last fits me. Does anybody have pictures of how AE's old cognac looked?
So. Jealous.

horsey shoes

Reaction score
Damn you fiestaplatypus!! Well OK actually that was a great find... I really need to stay the hell off here especially after what I spent with AE over the last week.
shog%5B1%5D.gif

I really do like the Amsterdam in Bourbon also. It does look the McAllister which I have in walnut calf and it would fill that "void" which exists in my collection perfectly. Looks like it is on the 5 last they list it as 65 so think they dropped the 5-65 when they did the description. Looking at the 2012 Supplemental Catalog I do not see it listed. The closest would be the Strand in Bourbon calf which is released October 15th. Which would be a perfect complement to the walnut shell Strands. On the other hand it is hard to tell the true color because the catalog pictures are as bad as the website.... If the urban daddy website pictures are true to life think that is going to be a hard one to resist.

Just when I thought it was safe to log back onto the web... they come up with this. Next thing you know, AE will come out with another web gem for Bourbon or Cognac shells and then I will really be in trouble!
I think the Cognac (at least from the one UD pic) has a nice brown color to it that looks to have an orange hue in them. Definitely a good bridge between the walnut calf strands and the brown shell Strands; almost cappuccino like.

Yes, I jumped on the Gramercys too after much internal debate about all the ramen noodles I will have to eat for lunch to swing them.
But, how could anyone resist $100 off of a model that may be like a web gem and only have limited availability?

I have some black shell MacNeils on order that have been delayed for about 4 weeks because of limited leather availability, or so I have been told. Hopefully that means they will come in the "new" finished shell variety. But, right there with you on 2 pair of longwings. I think the coloring is what will definitely set them apart and justify the purchase.

I do have a pair of Fairfax in the old cognac color and will post a pic soon. The color is actually lighter than the walnut in the Strands I took a pic of. I think the whole cut of the Fairfax also adds a bit to the lightness because you don't get the darkness of the broguing.

mikeman

Reaction score
Going to head to my nearest Allen Edmonds store and see how the #4 fits me. From what I've read, it fits most people well.

I also inquired about more pictures. I'll report back if I hear anything.

Last edited:

zchen

Reaction score
I'm super close on pulling the trigger on the Gramercy......even though I already have MacNeils in Burgundy Shell and Navy.

Last edited:

millerbk

Reaction score
I noticed on the AE site the Ridgeway is finished in Cognac do you think the Gramercy is similar in color minus the orange stitching?

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone know how long these are available for?  I love the MacNeil on a different last!

+1 on that. I hope these are still around next week, after I can get to a store to try on the 4 last.

OTH, I need to stop buying shoes from these guys already!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics