1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I use chili edge dressing to correct the color when I scuff the sole edges (I put a little bit on a q-tip and dab the scuffs). When I am just doing my regular polishing routine, I use natural edge dressing. Many on here say they use chili all the time, and I am sure that is fine, but my experience is that it is slightly darker/redder than the more brownish color of the natural welt. I think it comes down to personal preference in the long run, and you can't go wrong either way. As for the walnut polish darkening the shoe, again some have said they have had trouble with this. It hasn't really been my experience, but those who have say that they prefer cognac polish. Beware though, this color is being discontinued, so get it quick if you decide to go that route. It is under the clearance tab on AE's website. Enjoy your Strands!

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Walnut or Cognac for polish, depending on your preference. Chili for heel/sole edge dressing. Have fun experimenting with the polish and decide what you like best. The best thing about the color choice is you can switch if you do not like your initial result - it's not permanent.

3. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Mind if I ask how/where you found these?

4. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

E needs to come out with a suede cap toe balmoral. Perhaps a Fifth Avenue but a bigger cap toe.

1 person likes this.
  5. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

6. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

They'll make one for you at a slight upcharge.

7. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

Cordovan seconds are usually listed at $399. They rarely get down to $299. On the list the Jeffersonville outlet emailed me, the Daltons are listed at $539. So even 30% off would not get them to $299. On a more positive note, the Grayson and Cambridge in burgundy cordovan would each be about $280 with the 30% off, which is a real steal if you're looking for those models.

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

They did. Earlier in 2012, there were a bunch of suede Fifth Avenues at Nordstrom Rack, which leads me to believe it was a recently discontinued shoe.

9. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Oh okay, interesting. No Nordstrom here though they are opening one soon in the next year or two.

Hmm might need to look into that. Don't need them yet but once I get a good rotation I would like a suede cap toe balmoral. Maybe even something with heavy brogue such as the Strand.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the seconds are $399 at 30% off wouldnt they be $279?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  10. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I have a mocha kid suede plain cap toe bal. It was a close out from that other American shoemaker. They've served me very well.

11. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

They could have both been on sale, but both times I bought Cordovan seconds they were no more than $340. I think I might have purchased at $299 and $340 before tax.

12. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I'd like to take a moment to express my gratification for Nordstrom's customer service. I ordered a pair of Cliftons and Strands during the summer sales. They fit fine at first but once broken in were a bit loose. Despite the fact that they were well worn (albeit in great shape), they took both shoes back and sent replacements in smaller sizes. This policy is far and beyond what I'd expect, but is much appreciated.

13. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

^^^ I purchased my first pair of AEs from Nordstrom. I wasn't sure about the size, and the SA said wear them for a few weeks. If you don't like them, bring them back. That kind of service is hard to beat.

14. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

The same thing has sort of happened with my Cliftons and Park Avenue. I am ordering 9.5D from now on instead of 10D. Do you think AE will be willing to exchange used shoes?

15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Are you TTS 10D?

16. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Probably 9.5D I've realized. Been wearing ill fitting shoes since my teen years I'm guessing :foo:. I wear 10D in Clarks DB but I prefer a more snug fit for dress shoes.

17. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I was just curious because I size down by 1/2 size for AE models on the 5 last (PA's) and 8 last (Cliftons). I wear 9D in each, but I am TTS 9.5D.

18. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Not with a bigger captoe though

J

19. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I've noticed the cap toe length can vary quite a bit from shoe to shoe. I tried several pairs when sizing for the PA. Some had short caps. Others were longer.

20. 0ShinAkuma0

0ShinAkuma0 Active Member

I second this completely!

Not sure if this is really a balmoral, but this is what I would love to see AE take a stab at. This is the Hallam in espresso suede by Crockett & Jones. It's pretty sleek.
    http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Hallam-Espresso#.UKwy-Yc0WSo
    If AE makes this type of shoe, I'd buy it immediately.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.