• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No problem. I'm not much of a follower of rules myself, but black and brown I never mix. Except for that I like them.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

1. What do you guys think of the Randolph in chili grain calf? 2. OK for business casual wear? 3. And how would it go with black pants?
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF4809_1_40000000001_-1

1. mebbe
2. yes
3. it really depends. imo, it's not a definite no.

what pants are you thinking of?

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. mebbe
2. yes
3. it really depends. imo, it's not a definite no.
what pants are you thinking of?

Now that I think about it, it would likely be various shades of grays, from light to darker, in wool. Or navy. Probably not black.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Now that I think about it, it would likely be various shades of grays, from light to darker, in wool. Or navy. Probably not black.

go ahead.

what's the actual colour. chilli implies at least a reddish hue, not?

bucksfan

Reaction score

So it looks like this month's webgems are cordovan boots.  Those burgundy shell daltons look mighty tempting...

Lol I already have them in walnut shell and am still considering them. I also like the look of burgundy dundees.

:slayer:

I just picked up my first pair of cordovan shoes this weekend and I have to say... it really is something else.

The smell, the cordovan glow and the smoothness of the leather really puts it into its own class. I have to say, it does run a little hot inside the shoe though, compared to its calf counterpart. I'm really looking forward to picking up more cordovan in the future if AE comes out with some sleek, simple examples in the near future, I am really kicking myself for not picking up the walnut shell strands when they were out a few months ago... something like a walnut shell kenilworth would be perfect.

Congrats! Enjoy them and watch out - before you know it you'll have a closet full of shell.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lol I already have them in walnut shell and am still considering them. I also like the look of burgundy dundees.

I was going to limit myself to one last pair of shoes for 2012; I've already sent foot tracings to Quoddy to have custom deck-soled chukkas done up to visit my folks' canal boat in Paris next year. Now Allen Edmonds had to go and do THIS...

I suppose I can eat PB&Js for lunch until February.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody have the Bradley 2291 Burgundy Genuine Shell Cordovan? I'm currently considering getting this one next..

horsey shoes

Reaction score
I was going to limit myself to one last pair of shoes for 2012; I've already sent foot tracings to Quoddy to have custom deck-soled chukkas done up to visit my folks' canal boat in Paris next year. Now Allen Edmonds had to go and do THIS...
I suppose I can eat PB&Js for lunch until February.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Congrats! Enjoy them and watch out - before you know it you'll have a closet full of shell.

Yup, same boat here... I just got the walnut shell off of eBay and was holding out for the burg cord Dalton from the catalog sneak peak to complete 2012.

I have reconsidered this and will probably go with a black cord 5th street and a burg cord 5th street from the web gem.

Now to check on pricing of bulk packages of ramen and how comfortable the couch will be after my wife finds out...

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up my first pair of cordovan shoes this weekend and I have to say... it really is something else.

The smell, the cordovan glow and the smoothness of the leather really puts it into its own class. I have to say, it does run a little hot inside the shoe though, compared to its calf counterpart. I'm really looking forward to picking up more cordovan in the future if AE comes out with some sleek, simple examples in the near future, I am really kicking myself for not picking up the walnut shell strands when they were out a few months ago... something like a walnut shell kenilworth would be perfect.

Very nice. I was lucky and did pickup the walnut shell strands right before they stopped offering them. I am more than pleased with them.

Allen-Edmonds Strawfut model in brown calf/brown mesh combination. I can vouch for this: without a doubt the coolest summer shoes on the market.
Allen-Edmonds_Strawfut_mesh_spectators.jpg

I agree, great pictures. It was 97 last Thursday and I wore the same shoes. It was very breezy and I could feel the wind through them when I was outside. Wish I would had picked up the black pair too for wear with white trousers for that classic tropic look when closer to the equator.

So it looks like this month's webgems are cordovan boots. Those burgundy shell daltons look mighty tempting...

Yes they are, I have the walnut shell Dalton's already but.... Then again as I don't own any black shell yet thinking of the Dundee in black. And maybe #8 depending on the status of my shell Bradley's.

In case anyone missed it Nick of B. Nelson shoes posted last week about the change in finishes at AE.

I asked AE about some of their new finishes.
Here's what I was told:

Black Calf: We have improved our black calf finish making it more black with a higher luster. The finish is more durable and still lets the natural grain of the calf show through.

Burnish Calf (Walnut, Chestnut, Merlot, and Chili): On our burnished calf, we increased the burnishing effect with greater contrast between the highs and lows (dark highlights and natural color of the leather). Creating the greater contrast allows the natural beauty of the calf skin grain to be highlighted. On some styles, we have added a darkened toe. All hand finished shoes will dull over time, but our new finishing process increases the amount and durability of the luster. This combination of increased burnishing highlights and more luster really adds to the aesthetics of our burnished shoes.

Cordovan: We changed our cordovan burnishing process to increase the smoothness and luster on our cordovan shoes. We shifted the burgundy to a darker color. The new process results in a very durable color allowing the black and burgundy to be more black while increasing the amount of luster. Burnishing cordovan is much more difficult than calf skins, so we have dedicated one of our best and most experienced burnishers to cordovan. As a result, the new cordovan shoes look great.

Granite Grey: On the new granite grey, we are using a new antique and burnishing process that creates a heavier contrast in the highs and lows.

Bourbon: We developed a new color called Bourbon. It starts with a light colored skin and we use dark antiques with heavy burnishing. This creates a high contrast between the highs and lows resulting in a new caramel like brown color

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very nice. I was lucky and did pickup the walnut shell strands right before they stopped offering them. I am more than pleased with them. 

I agree, great pictures. It was 97 last Thursday and I wore the same shoes. It was very breezy and I could feel the wind through them when I was outside. Wish I would had picked up the black pair too for wear with white trousers for that classic tropic look when closer to the equator.

Yes they are, I have the walnut shell Dalton's already but.... Then again as I don't own any black shell yet thinking of the Dundee in black. And maybe #8 depending on the status of my shell Bradley's. 

In case anyone missed it Nick of B. Nelson shoes posted last week about the change in finishes at AE. 

I asked AE about some of their new finishes.
Here's what I was told:

Black Calf: We have improved our black calf finish making it more black with a higher luster. The finish is more durable and still lets the natural grain of the calf show through.

Burnish Calf (Walnut, Chestnut, Merlot, and Chili): On our burnished calf, we increased the burnishing effect with greater contrast between the highs and lows (dark highlights and natural color of the leather). Creating the greater contrast allows the natural beauty of the calf skin grain to be highlighted. On some styles, we have added a darkened toe. All hand finished shoes will dull over time, but our new finishing process increases the amount and durability of the luster. This combination of increased burnishing highlights and more luster really adds to the aesthetics of our burnished shoes.

Cordovan: We changed our cordovan burnishing process to increase the smoothness and luster on our cordovan shoes. We shifted the burgundy to a darker color. The new process results in a very durable color allowing the black and burgundy to be more black while increasing the amount of luster. Burnishing cordovan is much more difficult than calf skins, so we have dedicated one of our best and most experienced burnishers to cordovan. As a result, the new cordovan shoes look great.

Granite Grey: On the new granite grey, we are using a new antique and burnishing process that creates a heavier contrast in the highs and lows.

Bourbon: We developed a new color called Bourbon. It starts with a light colored skin and we use dark antiques with heavy burnishing. This creates a high contrast between the highs and lows resulting in a new caramel like brown color

Sounds like a wonderful effort as regards AE's shell cordovan. I will be very interested in seeing some of the new stuff.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anybody have the Bradley 2291 Burgundy Genuine Shell Cordovan? I'm currently considering getting this one next..

Yes. Probably my second favorite AE shell model next to my dark brown shell Strands. The comfort is ridiculous. I wear them almost exclusively in casual settings, but I do know that some like to dress them up.

spitshine123

Reaction score
Sounds like a wonderful effort as regards AE's shell cordovan. I will be very interested in seeing some of the new stuff.
I'm looking forward to it. The burgundy 5th Streets look great... If only I didn't already have the calf version!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads