Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddsg

ddsg Well-Known Member

2. luvdabass

luvdabass Active Member

Guys, I am new here, and maybe someone can help me out?
    I just purchased my first pair of AE Strands the other day from a local men's shop. They are beautiful shoes, but comfort level sucks.

The guy measured my feet and I am 12.5 D. He had me try on some AE shoes and the 12 felt enormous. My toe was about 1.5 inches from the end of the shoe. Tried on an 11d. Same thing.
    Tried on a 10.5, and that seemed to fit better on the length, although the width was starting to get "skinnier". So, I ordered my strands in 10.5 D. They arrived, tried them on, thought everything was ok, as the length was good. Then I wear them for about 3 hours, and the sides of my feet are hurting - Mostly my pinky toe, and the widest part of my foot before the pinky toe.
    As of today, I have worn them 4 different days, thinking that maybe they just need some breaking in, but my feet continue to be sore after having them on for about an hour.

Did I order too small of a size? Should I go back to the 12 sized clown shoes? Should I order a 11E? Do I suck it up and keep wearing them till they soften up? How long does it take to break these shoes in?

In the past, I have worn cheaper shoes, like Calvin Klein, Bostonian, etc, and while they may be uncomfortable after awhile, I never experienced the "cramped pinky toe" issue like I now have with the AE shoes.

I had high hopes for these $300 shoes, but other than looking great, I am disappointed.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks!

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

If you wore the shoes outside on pavement for 4 days they are yours forever.
    You state that you 'ordered' these. From where?
    Did you go to a store to get an idea of your size and then order a pair online? Please clarify.
    Also, your sneaker size is not your dress shoe size.

Now this is very important. Different shoes are built around different lasts. It is possible that this last number is wrong for your foot altogether. Never purchase shoes on appearance alone.
    Welcome to Styleforum.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  4. luvdabass

luvdabass Active Member

I went to a men's shop that carries AE shoes. They measured me there. I usually wear size 13 sneakers, and 11.5-12.5 dress shoes.
    They measured me there, and I was exactly 12.5 D. They did not have the Strands in stock, so I ordered them through the store.
    AE shipped them to the store, and I picked them up there.

5. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

And because the shoes are handmade, the size can vary slightly from shoe to shoe, even in the same style. My rule of thumb is to wear new shoes for a couple hours on carpet at least 2 times before deciding to keep them. It has saved me (or should i say my toes) a few times.

You may have success if you bought them from a retail store by taking them back and asking for help. They can stretch them for you, or may even do an exchange, but they are under no obligation to do so after you have worn them outside.

6. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Es are handmade?

7. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Good point, handmade is an overstatement - I should have said made by people, with the assistance of machines (watch the videos on YouTube).

8. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

This is the first problem: There is no way you measure as as 12.5 D, but can fit into a 10.5 D. At two sizes down you wouldn't be able to fit into the shoes, lengthwise. He might have measured your foot incorrectly.

But I think what else is happening is that you mistakenly thought that there shouldn't be any extra room in the shoes lengthwise. Depending on how much the shoes taper in front, you likely will have some length left over; but that is because the very front of the shoe is too narrow to fit all your toes. It sounds like this is what you might have done - your toes are pushed too far forward, into the narrower area, which is not designed for them.

It is also possible that the shape of this shoe just does not work for your foot.

I think your first step would be to have your feet measured again, as the measurements just don't add up. Do you have access to an AE store, or a good shoe seller (Nordstrom, Johnston & Murphy)? Get some other opinions on the correct size. Also, you say the Bostonians fit well. If those are dress shoes, they should only be 1/2 size or so off from your AE size.

If it turns out that the sales person grossly mismeasured your feet, hopefully you can return them. Your situation definitely does not sound normal.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  9. f800gs

f800gs Senior member

Try a quick email or phone call to AE customer service. My best guess is they offer some kind of help.

10. BrizzleCizzle

BrizzleCizzle Senior member

This. For all the rep points. Your toes should NOT touch the front of your dress shoes, and rarely ever any shoes. Human feet are not designed to be tightly wound to the point they would fit the silhouette of a men's dress shoe. If you measure a 12.5D NEVER hop into a 10.5D without asking some serious questions. If the person who measured your foot sold you the shoe, you may be able to do a swap. Also, how much wearing have you down? An hour each day on the carpet? If all else fails, sell them on ebay or the buy and sell forums here to recoup some of your losses.

Oh, and I know this is so simple it's impossible, but make sure you loosen the laces to the point you can get your foot in with ease, then give them a snug fit/tightness around the foot. I had a pair of park aves that I laced up too tight on straight lacing and the first day they killed my right pinky. Took them off, loosened the straight lacing and played with it, and no problem. However, this was on a pair of shoes that was the same size as the size I measured.

11. johnnyletrois

johnnyletrois Senior member

If he bought them from Nordstrom he could return them at any time.

12. luvdabass

luvdabass Active Member

I Live in Buffalo, which is a good 7-9 hours from Nordstrom in NYC. Not sure if there is one closer than that.
    The place I bought them is just a smaller men's boutique. They sell AE shoes, and some suits, shirts, and ties.

I am definitely a 12.5. As I mentioned, I have always worn 11.5 - 12.5 dress shoes, and usually a size 13 sneaker.
    I was surprised at how long the AE shoes were when trying them on. They did not have the strands there, but I tried on another AE dress shoe but I am not sure if it was made on the same last as the Strands.
    I know that the toe should not touch the end of the shoe, and I always leave sufficient room, but maybe I did not realize how much they are tapered.

I think that is the issue....I bought the smaller size, and the taper starts too soon, therefore it is scrunching my toes into the small area and making my feet sore.

I can try taking them back, but I'm not sure how far that will go.
    Anyone want a brand new pair of strands?
    :(

13. luvdabass

luvdabass Active Member

Also, just curious, but you guys that have been wearing AE shoes for a long time, do you find them comfortable? I tried on a pair of To Boot shoes yesterday at a Saks outlet, and they were 100 times softer on the inside. They felt very comfy.

Even though the To Boot shoes were very comfortable, I am more concerned about all day comfort, and I want shoes that I can wear all day and not hurt my feet, shins, and knees.

14. BrizzleCizzle

BrizzleCizzle Senior member

Mine are very comfortable. But they're also the right size ; ). Only kidding with you. But yes, they're comfortable. For the record, though, regardless of what I wear, if I'm standing all day my feet know it. Doesn't matter if I'm in my vibram five fingers, sandals, running shoes, 1000 mile boots, AE's, etc; my feet know when I've been standing all day. But when I'm walking and throughout the day - no issue.

15. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

I just picked up my first pair of cordovan shoes this weekend and I have to say... it really is something else.

The smell, the cordovan glow and the smoothness of the leather really puts it into its own class. I have to say, it does run a little hot inside the shoe though, compared to its calf counterpart. I'm really looking forward to picking up more cordovan in the future if AE comes out with some sleek, simple examples in the near future, I am really kicking myself for not picking up the walnut shell strands when they were out a few months ago... something like a walnut shell kenilworth would be perfect.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.