Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Wait for the Bourbon color to come out this fall or next spring. I have some older AE's in Bourbon and I think it might be close to what you are wanting.

Here are a couple of my older Bourbon AE's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chris

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

1. I have a few walnut calf models. I use walnut AE polish. I have never experienced a noticeable change in color.
    2.. I use burgundy/merlot every 4th polish or so on my chili calf shoes. It lessens the likelihood that the shoe becomes too red or too orange.

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

You're usually a 9D in AE? Or some other type of shoe(s)? You have two photos here. What are their sizes?

4. TRIALnERROR

TRIALnERROR Well-Known Member

Thanks. I've been to my local AE store and the salesman I spoke with said his shoes do the same. He showed me his AE's (different model) and they did bow, but not as much. I decided to size down from a 9 to an 8.5 while in the store and the bowing was still evident, but very minimal. They didn't have the 8.5 in black, so he ordered a virgin pair from the factory to be sent to me. After receiving them today, they seem to bow more than the 8.5 I tried on in the store. Since the AE store is close, maybe I'll go try another last. I'm disappointed as I really like the Park Ave. Maybe it's my anatomy, but none of my other shoes exhibit this. There seems to be a lot of talk of "bowing" or "flaring" over the past month or so. Has this always been the case or is there a recent quality control issue?

5. TRIALnERROR

Most my shoes are 9D including the only other pair of AE's I own (Redding). I understand the sizes vary by model/last, but I was expecting a better fit for the money. These are both photos of the 8.5 pair I received today, one left and one right. Should I send back for another pair or just live with it? Thanks for any insight.

6. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

Whatever it is, it's frustrating. I've tried 7.5eee, 8d, 8e, 8.5e and now 8ee on the 5 last. 8ee feels the best, but it's the only one that bows. It also laces almost all the way shut. I'd probably be better off with Alden, but it's a hassle in Canada.

7. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

No, you should not live with it. I suggest you get a fitting (anywhere) and ask the salesperson to show you your measurements. Read up on measurements here

http://brannock.com/cgi-bin/start.cgi/brannock/instructions.html

This is how I discovered that I had been fitted incorrectly (after trying on 15 different sizes of Park Avenue shoes). I discovered my correct size by accident. A proper Brannock measurement would have gotten me there in one shot.

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

For what it's worth, I have mild bowing in all my 5 last shoes, but not in my 8 last shoes. It's not extreme enough to bother me. Also, a shoe is going to have some bowing while you try to break it in due to the stiffness of the sole (it has to flex somewhere). That said, if this pair bows significantly worse than the pair you tried on in the store, I would probably return them and try again before giving up on the Park Avenue.

Also, listen to what Phi Psi has to say regarding sizing. The guy is a real sizing guru for AE.

9. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

Yup, I agree.

Regards.

10. TRIALnERROR

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to take Phi Psi's suggestion and get a proper fitting at AE. Hopefully this will resolve my issue.

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Let us know how you make out.

12. aw82

aw82 Well-Known Member

My recently purchased Park Ave. (the ones with the heel issue mentioned earlier in this thread) have the same issue. I might try to go a size narrower when I exchange them (if they'll let me).

13. TRIALnERROR

Will do, heading over now.

14. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Carpe diem, dude!

15. rootskier

rootskier Active Member

It may just be that the 5 last is not for you.

Welcome to the club. I don't even need laces to make shoes on the 7 fit my foot perfectly, however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.