Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brchin

brchin Member

so i got my mctavishes today and i need some advice on fit. i wear the strands in 8D, and sized down appropriately for the mctavishes. i got the 7.5D's however i still feel they are a bit long and i'm experiencing some weird and unsightly gap-age around the ankles. i've stuck my finger in the space to show how badly it gaps. do you think they shoes are still too big/wide? should i size down to 7D or 7E? any help would be greatly appreciated! attaching a pic of my mctavish and strands for reference as to how perfectly the strands fit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

correct me if i'm wrong, but um... tighten those laces... if you bring the top of the laces together, it seems like it will close that gap

3. rs232

rs232 Senior member

Ah well, good to know they fit some people well. What width AE shoe do you wear?

I can't get over this rationale though - width is supposed to reflect the width at the ball of the foot, not the instep height. This is the gap I'm talking about (on the tan shoe).

[​IMG]

4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Don't go down any more. You probably want an 8C which they don't make. I would try an 8.5B (which will fit very close to an 8C).

5. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

i do agree, however most of the "high instep" pics i see (note above) also reflect that there is a finger gap under the ankle.... aka tighten them

6. sartorialnoob

sartorialnoob Well-Known Member

While not made any more, vintage AE sharkskin shoes do come up on ebay from time to time. The Nassau is one I've seen.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

7. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Harrison review:

[​IMG]

This shoe looks pretty good on the 333 last, it has considerably better leather quality, (as expected). It fit pretty good, with about a 1.5 inch spacing to the tip of the shoe. The Rutledge did not fit this good, but i'm liking this shoe a bit.

[​IMG]

Here is side by side proportions with the Park Ave. in the same size ( 10.5 EEE). The cap toe is a slightly shorter still, which will probably disappoint a lot of people, but the more i had the shoe on, the more i liked it. Notice how matte the black calf on the Park Ave's look compared to the nice supple calf on the Harrison.

Who knows, I might get these after all...

8. JubeiSpiegel

Extra credit, Randolphs in grey, which looked great in person:

[​IMG]

Too bad this last does not fit me, and i have no idea what i would wear grey shoes with...

9. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

I was on the same boat when I saw the parkways in grey. Interesting... but I couldn't ever imagine wearing it to work. Anyone have any "in the wild" pics of grey calf shoes to enlighten us?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

10. BrizzleCizzle

BrizzleCizzle Senior member

I know the cap toe is shorter, but I really like the shape of the Harrison. Whichever last that is, it's fantastic.

11. zchen

zchen Senior member

I have no problem closing the gap as long as I'm wearing the right width for the particular last. Also, I think some are not using the type of lacing that pulls tops closer.

12. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Closing the quarters won't help if the heel cup is too big; it will only make it worse.

13. horsey shoes

horsey shoes Senior member

I was down at the AE store in Dallas today and the gal behind the counter was sharing with me the list of shoes that will be part of the Rediscovering sale in late Sept.
    The two models of note were the Jefferson (but not in walnut) and the new Cronmok.

Still not sure what I would wear the navy Cronmok with, but am definitely considering purchasing... especially if they are part of the Rediscovering sale.

I do recall this being briefly discussed before, but anybody have any other ideas of what to wear them with? Jean over navy does seem kind of redundant.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...35174300706.224740.76682825706&type=1&theater

14. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I'm not personally a fan of the Cronmok, but I think the design/color of the shoe would be pretty well complemented by a pair of crisp khaki chinos.

15. JubeiSpiegel

To clarify, the heel had no gap and sides had absolutely no bowing at all, a great fit overall. I was only commenting that there is some space in cap toe due to the elongated last.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.