Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evolved

evolved Senior member

I must say I'm quite happy to see that no one has posted those ostrich leather chelsea boot webgem abominations, lol. Bravo to all!

2. brchin

brchin Member

yeah, AE customer service just confirmed that there is no such thing as a cordovan shell mcallister. the closest to it would be the cordovan cambridge.

3. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Actually, they do use it for one of their golf shoes, the Redan: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF9911_1_40000000001_-1 . I called to get some made at AE, and they told me to ask Nordstrom's to special order them. I went to Sherman Brothers instead, and they confirmed they can have shark skin (actual skin of the shark) shoes custom made for me. So now the question is not if, but which style I want. Thoughts?

4. BrizzleCizzle

BrizzleCizzle Senior member

My apologies. I was in no way or shape aware that they (AE) even offered that service (substitute animal leathers), and have never concerned myself with their golf shoes (or clothes, for that matter). Kudos. I'm actually not a fan of shark skin as a shoe, so I'm of absolutely no use in that effort. Let us know how it goes/pics.

5. polojock615

No apologies needed. They do not generally offer animal leathers, but apparently if you know who to ask they can do it.

6. aw82

aw82 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I emailed and they replied very quickly saying I could take them back to the AE store that I purchased them at and they could hopefully just exchange them for a new pair.

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

You say that like it's a bad thing. What's wrong with the Cambridge? Take a look at the pictures in this thread, the Cambridge in shell is one good looking shoe and virtually identical to the McAllister.

8. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I think shark skin looks best without brogueing, perfs, cap toes, wingtips, etc. I think the grain on the shark skin is enough character for a shoe. That being said, I would suggest the Leeds or Kenilworth. Perhaps the Bradley might work. I also think shark skin might look good in a saddle shoe, so perhaps something in the Shelton? I would even think a saddle in all one color would look good with the saddle and the texture on the shark skin giving the shoe a good look.

Chris

9. polojock615

Good call. I was thinking maybe a pair of Leeds. I also love the fit of the Clifton and was thinking about that. Also, the MacNeil, but I think I'm the only person in the world that does not fit comfoftably in the 7-last.

10. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

thx, I went to my local store and tried on the 10D. With the thicker socks I had
    it was very comfy and when I put a pair of thinner socks that I brought w/ me on
    the heel slipped a little bit but I think that had to do w/ it being a brand new pair.

My first "in the wild" shot :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

11. mudmutt

mudmutt Member

Received my next size up Bradley's, much better fit. My first AEs, much thanks to everyone who posts on the thread/forum that helped me make the decision to purchase these. Sorry for the bad color on the cell phone shot, all I had in short notice.

[​IMG]

12. mudmutt

mudmutt Member

Received my next size up Bradley's, much better fit. My first AEs, much thanks to everyone who posts on the thread/forum that helped me make the decision to purchase these. Sorry for the bad color on the cell phone shot, all I had in short notice.

[​IMG]

Hmmm. I don't know why that's upside down. I flipped the picture and saved it on my desktop and uploaded again but the same result. Hmmmm.

FIXED!

13. rs232

rs232 Senior member

However, all of the pictures of oxfords in this thread exhibit the same laces gap, so I can't believe Americans have sufficiently low insteps to justify this last shape. And the thing that originally attracted me to AEs was the wide availability of narrower widths. I guess AEs just don't suit me.

Not trying to argue, just expressing a little frustration. Hrmph. Anyway, here are my Chesters (in B width).

[​IMG]

14. evolved

evolved Senior member

False....not all. The pairs that I have exhibit no lace gap....the leather comes right together, but I have a pretty narrow foot.

15. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

All of mine come together and i'm on a D width, however when i see pics where there is a half inch or so of that lace gap, i can't help but feel that the person wearing the show should have went up a notch in the width... just my opinion...

All my bals fit like a glove, so idk...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.