Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Actually, this is exactly what you said: "Just my two cents and attempt to persuade you against black for everything." But no matter, it generated a somewhat lively discussion.

A good day to one and all.

2. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I just had a similar situation with my Fifth Avenues. E-mail AE customer service (you can get the contact information on their website). They e-mailed me a UPS label to ship them back, they did brand new heels, and shipped them back to me in just under 2 weeks free of charge.

As mentioned, they had a problem with some heel adhesive. They will make it right for you.

Chris

3. BrizzleCizzle

BrizzleCizzle Senior member

What I said, as you've quoted: Don't wear black for everything (everything = all things).

What YOU think I'm saying: never wear or own black.

These two things are not the same. If there is any more confusion, please feel free to PM me as I think it's been made clear, thrice now, what I was trying to convey and I don't wish to drag this out and be forced to provide popcorn for the masses.

4. BrizzleCizzle

^ gets it.

5. sevenfoldtieguy

A review of my original post will tell the reader my comments were adequately qualified. It was, and is, nothing personal.

Moving on ....

6. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Agree to disagree... I know it is socially acceptable to use the term cordovan as a color, but technically speaking, shell cordovan is the leather. Color #8 (or just burgundy) is the correct terminology. Hell, even Kiwi's polish color is "cordovan" rather than saying burgundy. I would imagine that "cordovan" being used as a color was ok back in the day, simply because #8 was the only cordovan color used, but now, I still find it confusing/misleading to others, especially for people that don't know much about shoes. i.e. that ebay link a couple pages back... someone sees "cordovan" and they might think they are getting a good deal, but the seller is referencing the color which is technically incorrect, regardless of what AE called it. And they straightened their act out apparently, which means they knew they were wrong lol

why thank you...

7. BrizzleCizzle

As a testament to character, sevenfoldtieguy did PM me and we discussed it further without the presence of the entire thread. Just wanted to publicize that as I think, regardless of our own stances on what we thought we were saying and what was intended, that following up on the PM is appreciable and of high character. Carry on.

8. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

I had a question about dalton boot sizing. I am a 9.5E in the 5 last. I ordered a 10D
    a few days ago and now thinking that maybe the 10D might be too narrow. Would
    a 10E be a good option?

How do you guys size from the 5 last to the 1 last?

9. evolved

evolved Senior member

I'm an 11B in the 5 last (Strands) and an 11B in the 1 last (Bayfield & Dalton).

10. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

From what AE told me, the sizing it pretty much spot on with the 5 and 1. I tried a 9.5D on a few weeks back, and it seems to fit well, however before I purchase any shoe, I will always go up/down a half size and try a different width just to see... 9.5E to a 10D should be fine for you, try it on and see how it feels, if not, exchange them.

11. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

So I'm thinking of a new pair in black sharkskin, but I'm having trouble settling on a model. Suggestions?

12. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

This x 2.

It might annoy some, but cordovan is such a prevalent term used for the color. I have never once looked at, say, a listing on ebay such as the one linked above with the use of "cordovan" in a clearly burgundy/merlot color and mistaken it for shell cordovan leather. People on ebay seem to be pretty good about specifying "shell cordovan" or actual shell shoes. That, and anyone who is at the point in their life that they are considering dropping money on shell cordovan shoes should be able to tell in an instant that those shoes were not shell and clearly the seller was referring to the color.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

13. BrizzleCizzle

Shark skin refers to a pattern used on suits and pants, not so much on shoes unless you literally mean the skin of a shark, which AE sells none of.

14. sevenfoldtieguy

I go up at least 1/2 size, and keep the same width.

15. TheTower

TheTower Member

I decided to return my second pair of Kenilworths. As it turns out there is an Allen Edmonds retail store 16minutes away from me, so it was not big deal. They were having a 15% off sale on everything so I actually returned my Kenilworths and got Walnut Strands and saved some money. (I had purchased the Kenilworths while not on sale.)

The Associate behind the counter, whom I had spoken to over the phone earlier, inspected my shoes and determined that the leather flap had a bubble in it. She said that it was not considered a defect but some of the calfskin leather has this happen occasionally.

Anyway.. I much happier now. I wanted the Stand more so I guess this has been a good experience overall. I'll purchase the Kenilworth sometime at the end of September when they have their big sale I keep hearing about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.