Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brchin

brchin Member

thanks guys for the help. i also reached out to AE cust service for final confirmation. will let you know what i find.

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I haven't ordered laces before, but I suspect they have different options due to the variety of casual and dress shoes AE sells.

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I was right there with you until you said it was a rookie mistake for a professional to not to have a black suit.

4. rs232

rs232 Senior member

What's with the low instep on AEs? Got my first couple of pairs in the post, both oxfords, both with large lace gaps when I put them on. I do an image search on this thread, and everyone else who wears oxfords seems to have the same problem: the laces don't come anywhere near to closing at the top.

It's only now that I've seen them in person that I have paid attention to the arch area of their lasts - every single last seems to have a really low instep? Surely they can't be catering for only flat-footed people?

5. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Nice new shoes - congratulations! Those are two of my favorites (I wear my brown shell strands probably 1x every 2 or 3 weeks, the shell daltons more like 1x per week in the winter - I beat up my Daltons far more than I should considering the price). Break them in on carpet and give them a good brushing.

6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

-I am not sure about the leather quality but some might consider thicker leather to be more durable and better for casual shoes
    -Blue sticker might be just a way for them to identify the shoe (e.g., this shoe is a replacement and do not charge)
    -if you are talking about a clear sticker with different arrows, they are there to indicate the materials used for the lining, uppers, and sole
    -factory "Seconds" are typically indicated on AE shoes by a imprinted 'shoe' on the sole (if leather) typically between the heel and the "Allen Edmonds"

This definitely depends on geographic location and work environement. It is less common to wear black suits here in the US (urban legent I heard is that black suits fell out of favor after Lincoln was shot wearing one... this also has some implication with BB's black overcoat) whereas it is more acceptable in other countries. Also, I am sure 'rules' differ here in NYC compared to, say, Capitol Hill.

Regarding black shoes, I think it is important to have a pair, especially in the beginning. Yes, black does not show patina like brown and burgundy, but they provide a minimalistic look and can provide a nice contrast if done correctly. I have a fair amount of shoes and probably wear a black pair at least once a week [with suits].

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

If I remember correctly, there was a discussion about Americans having lower insteps compared to our cousins across the pond. Graphics were provided showing different lasts showing American lasts compared to typical UK lasts. This might be why Northampton shoes tend to have higher insteps because of this adjustment.

Maybe opt for a larger AE width or another maker with a more approrpiate last shape for your foot?

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Try a different width. My understanding is that a wider width can result in a taller shoe.

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I have experienced this a few times, but only with AE black dress laces. And the dress laces I have ordered are the exact same as in the past. It is unfortunate.

10. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

That's not exactly what I said, but I get your point. We can agree to disagree. No problem.

In the professional world, the idea of having 20+ suits - and not a single one in black - strikes me as odd, even misguided. To say nothing of the fact that certain events in life essentially demand a black suit - e.g., funerals.

11. aw82

aw82 Well-Known Member

Not sure whether to post this here or in the Shoe Damage thread, but I'll start here I guess.

I recently bought a pair of new (not seconds) Park Avenues. I've worn them maybe a half dozen times and haven't walked a great deal in them. On both shoes, the heels are starting to seperate from the sole a little bit. Just a hairline (but visible since the internal leather color is much lighter than the black edge of the heel) and it widens when I apply pressure to the heel.

Is this normal? This is my first pair of AEs (and my first pair of decent shoes, really).

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

It's not supposed to happen, but it happens too regularly with AE's manufactured during a period when AE was having problems with the adhesive applied to the heel. AE is well aware of this issue. They said I could mail the shoes to the factory to have the heel reglued, but suggested I just take them to a local cobbler to have him squirt a little glue in the separation.

13. BrizzleCizzle

BrizzleCizzle Senior member

I'm sorry, but I don't think I told him to not own nor wear black suits or black shoes. Did I say that somewhere and forget it?

In fact, I believe there are a few posts in which I say "I own both the black park aves and black steen loafers"... but, if I was unclear and it came off that way please let me correct: black suits are a must for certain occassions and shouldn't be avoided for such events, and black shoes go with black suits. I even wore black shoes with my shark skin dress pants yesterday since the brown was just a little too clashy for the occassion. Sorry the intent was so confused with the delivery.

14. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

A black suit is a must... obviously they are not as versatile as a gray or blue suit, but I have learned some rules of thumb regarding when each should be worn.

Black - wake, funeral, weddings or any other night event
    Blue - worn through the day, i've heard by many and i agree that blue suits should not be worn at night, black is a better alternative
    Gray - day and night, however if it is a formal event, wedding, etc... i think it is safe to assume that a dark gray/charcoal is more fitting

And black shoes do go with navy suits. I will say with certain shades of blue/navy, black isn't the best option, but black and blue certainly go together. I think brown and walnut are always a better alternative, but black still work.

15. halgrind

halgrind Member

Allen Edmonds themselves used to sell some of their "seven" product line in calf leather and a color called "cordovan".

It's not an error, and though it may annoy you, 'cordovan' actually can refer to the color that cordovan leather traditionally used.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.