1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

It sounds like this might be the issue I had with the shoes I mentioned above. I like the looks of the new finish as well, but I haven't ever seen it in person so that I can compare it to the old burgundy finish. The pair of Park Avenues that I was talking about above seemed to be slightly "pinker" than the other burgundy models on the shelf that I saw that day. Again, it may have been due to the "blooming." Maybe I will hold off since the new finish sounds more like my idea of what a burgundy shoe should look like. Please post photos when you have time, because I am seriously considering a pair of these!

2. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

Here are my Walnuts:
    [​IMG]

3. jch1

jch1 Senior member

I'll try my best to remember to post some pics when I get home tonight. PM me if I don't.

4. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Nice, would you say it only looks black in the picture or in real life too?

Wow they look great!!!!!!!!!! That walnut looks a lot darker than I would have thought, which to me is a good thing. Is that just the patina the shoe took over time?

5. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Yeah, that walnut jefferson is stunning.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  6. NukeMeSlowly

NukeMeSlowly Senior member

I had the same issue with the Malvern. I couldn't get it to fit to save my life. I went with the Loake Pimlico (dark brown & dark brown suede) and got a great fit.

I wear a consistent 8.5D in AE and fit into a size 7F Pimlico . Of course, YMMV.

7. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

Regarding the Walnut: These are darker than other Walnut Jeffersons I've seen. It didn't happen over time, that was the first day wearing them [​IMG]

8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

The Brown Jeffersons look pretty dark in person as well.

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

+1

It is a very very dark brown, but I like it.

10. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I did the same thing (tried Malverns, went with Pimlicos). I'm an 11.5 D in the AE 5 last, and I went with a 10.5 F Pimlico (11.5 D Malverns were unwearable, and 12 D Malverns were still too tight). They have a little too much room at the middle of the top of my foot, and I read a thread on SF a while back which echoed this observation. With a tongue pad, though, they fit quite well and look great IMO.

11. jch1

jch1 Senior member

Pictures of my dark brown Jeffersons with walnut calf Strands:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

That last pic looks black.

13. 0ShinAkuma0

0ShinAkuma0 Active Member

New the forum! Here are my two pairs of AE's, the Neumok (Navy Blue leather) and the Strawfut (Brown and Linen), when I get nice shoes like A.Edmonds, I make sure to get ones that stand out a little bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. facet

facet Senior member

I haven't noticed any difference in creasing and I couldn't tell you how much more/less durable that they will be. But I can't imagine durability being too much of an issue as long as you take proper care of them.

Cheers

15. MoneyWellSpent

I agree that it is a very very dark brown, but my experience on seeing these in person is that you can still tell that they are brown. Sort of a dark chocolate color, IMO. These put out the same impression that navy blues do in that they can look black in certain lighting. I still think it is safe to buy them if you are wanting a dark brown shoe.

16. Harrydog

Harrydog Senior member

Any opinions on the Independence Line? I like a couple of the styles but was put off by the very soft toe cap. I prefer a very hard toe cap and the Independence were quite soft and "dentable" if that term makes sense. Left me worried as to whether they would maintian their shape.

17. MoneyWellSpent

May I ask how old your Strands are? I ask because they seem to be exibiting a similar amount of wear to the soles in the toe area as my AE's do. Have you found that the wear in that area has reached a sort of "plateau" and not continued to progress? I can't quite bring myself to get into the metal/plastic taps realm, and I am hoping that they will slow down as they adjust to my walking pattern.

18. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Just got an email from AE that select shoes in grey are on sale for $199. This includes the Long Branch, Pierpont, and Aberdeen. Some really nice savings there!

1 person likes this.
  19. johnnyletrois

johnnyletrois Senior member

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be in London in January and will be checking them out.

20. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

I also saw that sell and thinking of picking up a pair in gray. One question I heard a few here talk about giving it a light polish of navy and thought that sounded great. Has any one actually tried that yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.