Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Gents below is a picture of my AE Fifth Avenue. They are 2 months old and I have worn them 4/5 times during these time. Yesterday I have realized that the stitching is coming out already ! My hands shakes when taking picture so please apologize my crappy picture. What it seems that if I pull the small thread the whole thing will come out. Should I take them to a cobbler or leave them for the time being and take them later if it gets worse ?
    [​IMG]

2. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

It's hard to see how bad it is. Did you buy from an AE store? Shoot them an e-mail and they might repair it or replace them for you

3. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I am in Australia bought from endless. Sending them back to us is not an option(will cost over $80).
    If you right click on the image then click open in new tab it will give a bit better image. I will try to get better pic tomorrow. Sorry my hands shake and unable to take good picture.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012

4. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

It looks like the part you are talking about is the thread near your bottom lace. Either cut it off and leave it to take it to a cobbler. Next time you get them resoled, the cobbler can take care of it for a very nominal cost. (my bet is less than $10).

5. seer

seer Senior member

Wow they came out great! Quite a change! I used a little Saphir Renovateur a couple of days after the Neatsfoot - after almost two weeks the color remains dark.

6. Jescha

Jescha Active Member

Thank you Cold Iron, sevenfoldtieguy and bucksfan for your advice on AE and Alden Shell.

I thought the RL Marlow made by C&J looked absolutely fantastic! Now, I must have a closer look at AE brown shell. Thanks.

7. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Sorry here is a better picture. By the looks of it if I pull this thread it will undo few more stitches. I will leave it until it gets worse.
    [​IMG]

8. seer

seer Senior member

Ok, don't take this as gospel but... When I have run into this problem I just use a match and burn it back. Most thread has nylon in it and it will kind of lump up and not pull through (though I would usually only do this on boots) . Or get some glue on the back side of the threads (the bottom three or four threads) - that will prevent them from pulling through any further. After that dries, gently pull up the excess we see above and snip it off.

9. Virchow

Virchow Well-Known Member

Works like a charm, every time.

10. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Senior member

The After photo looks a lot like the stock photos of the new darker brown McTavish, but with the natural sole of the Tan version. I love it. May have to buy a 2nd tan and try it myself.

11. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

If you bought them new from AE's you can return them, if purchased from a third party then use the fire method.

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Do as you must, but it is worth pointing out that the dark brown shell that I own from these respective companies - AE Strand; C&J Bradford - is quite different. My AE is quite a bit darker. So the comparison might not be apples to apples, in terms of color. FYI only.

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Can't believe all the 3 last shoes. I may have to try on the Harrison and see how I like it compared to my Park Avenues.

[​IMG]

14. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Senior member

15. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

I like the navy suede Stewarts, but I think they would be much more versatile with a darker sole. I've been waiting for a blue suede PTB for a while now... come on AE!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.