Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Awesome! Thanks for pics.

Some good stuff in there.

2. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Indeed... Maybe the patriot, Dundee or burgundy dalton (awesome!) are in my future.

3. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

That Harrison looks a lot like the Soho!

4. rwbenjey

rwbenjey Well-Known Member

Alrighty, my Park Ave's arrived this afternoon. Haven't had them on for that long, but they feel and look good so far. I'm sure they'll feel even better as they start to mold to my feet : ) Can't wait to order another few pairs from AE when I can afford to.

[​IMG]

5. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Haight, Burgundy Dundees and Pasedenas look interesting to me. Can't wait to try these new 3 last shoes

6. Abstraktmind

Abstraktmind Senior member

I can't believe you guys are actually telling him to keep used shoes that he paid retail price for. Would you buy a new car with 50 miles on it? No. Dude, take those shoes back and get shoes to create YOUR OWN creases.

7. dancingbear

dancingbear Senior member

They really sold out on the new 3 last. Of those, the Pasedenas look most interesting to me.

[FONT=verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif]Is the 6 last on the Patriot brand new? [/FONT]

8. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Quote:Of course you would buy a new car with 50 miles. It happens all the time. What do you think happens when people take test drives?

9. dancingbear

dancingbear Senior member

Congratulations! Nothing like the simple elegance of the Park Avenue.

My first AE were Black PA's 13 years ago from the Nordstrom anniversary sale. Made every other shoe I had worn until then just seem wrong.

10. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Thanks Chris, options are good...

The bowing will not get better over time, and as you mentioned it is loose. I have returned 2 pairs of shell Bradley's because they bow badly and AE agreed they were out of specs and would make another pair both times because they could not be repaired. I have 2 other pair of shoes where the right shoe is starting to develop minor bowing, they were tight and fine out of the box. It slips a little bit on both of them now and is looser than they were when new. I notice it every time I wear them more and more. Although the cuff does usually cover it you would be surprised how often you look down and see it flex, and it does bother me. Your call on both shoes but you have to live with them long term. I want mine to be correct out of the gate.

11. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

So in conclusion, I'm hoping I can get some of your guys' expert advice. Do you think I should keep Pair 1 or Pair 2? Pair 1 looks and feels like really good quality craftsmanship, but has some bowing in the left shoe. Pair 2 fits well on both feet, but the craftsmanship is extremely suspect. Which would you choose?

Return them both. Your post suggests you are uneasy with each pair. Don't settle .....

12. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Thanks for that seer. My McTavish were just too light me. I prefer my shoes to be a little bit darker than my pants and my McTavish were just too light. So I used 3 coats of neatsfoot oil. Because the left was darker than the right to start with in places I "painted" the right with a 4th coat in those places to exactly match the other shoe and overall the finished look is better to me. I also have the Elgin which is a little bit dressier shoe in both finish and color IMO. The McTavish now look close to the Elgin, but still a bit more casual. I am more than pleased with the results, thanks seer.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

13. FifthAve

FifthAve New Member

Hmmm... duly noted =( I am leaning towards asking for an exchange on both of my faulty pairs I guess... Frankly I was okay with "Pair 1" because the quality/construction was surprisingly very perfect and I just don't know what AE is going to mail me next.... They are so frustrating sometimes.

For anyone interested, check out my post here:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/8475#post_5652610

14. thekosmicdesign

thekosmicdesign Active Member

When do the burnished brown Fifth Avenue's go on sale and for about how much? I hear a lot about the PA and Strand going on sale but in all the threads I've searched, I haven't seen the 5th Ave's on sale much.

15. scruffy

scruffy Member

CI, I assume these are the Dark Tan as opposed to the Natural? I'm about to grab some and was hoping the Dark Tan would be darker than that. Good result with the oil though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.