Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

The top one is the Dornoch. Because it is a waxed leather, I feel it is better suited for casual pants like jeans or khakis. The bottom shoe is the Westchester which I find to be more conservative with a rounder toe. I would tend to wear the Westchester with dress pants or khakis only. I think it would look a bit odd with jeans.

2. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I made a mistake. The item with the Dainite sole - the Haight - is a boot that looks like the Ashbury (I should have remembered Haight Ashbury shouldn't I?). It is like the Ashbury but in brown burnished calf and has a medallion on the toe.

The unstructured chukka-looking thing is called Jodox.

I took photos of all the stuff in the catalog that isn't on the website already. Again, crappy cell phone pics, but I will upload them tonight.

Chris

3. seer

seer Senior member

That actually does sound like a bad boot!

4. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Those chukka boots by the Daltons are the Dundee in cordovan and it shows them available in brown, black and burgundy - all shell cordovan.

Chris

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

no you haven't

6. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Very nice analysis. I have noticed the same differences, but came to the opposite conclusion. I like AE's finish on burgundy and black much better -it lets the leather's natural variation come through. If you want a higher shine on your black shell, there's always kiwi.

I like the finish AE puts on the brown shell better than C&J. C&J just puts way too much polish on in my opinion.

7. jah1961

jah1961 Member

I would, although they're better than what I just received from Nordstroms. The "good" shoe had a medallion (if that's the right term) that was off center, and the "bad" shoe had severe creasing/cracking, and was missing finish on the heel near the stitching. Mine will be going back - very disappointed..

8. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

My shell Strands have an amazingly little creasing given I have worn them once every week to two weeks. I got them a few months ago. This picture was shot a few minutes ago.

[​IMG]

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Thank you. Personal preference and one's fashion sense no doubt play a role; as does the use to which the shoes will be put. For example, my burgundy shell AE Bradleys don't achieve nearly the shine as my color 8 Aldens, but that's okay with me - as I use the Bradley primarily - if not exclusively - in casual settings (settings in which, for me, shine isn't as much desired compared to more formal settings). In my experience, my black shell AE Cambridges do not - indeed, cannot - achieve the shine of my black shell Aldens. But again, some prefer that. It is actually nice to have these differences IMO.

And the way the shoes are treated, of course, makes a difference. My dark brown shell Strands, out of the box, were basically a dull chocolate brown (but still unique even at that). I treat them with Saphir Dark Brown Cordovan Cream Shoe Polish and they are, IMO, a much richer shade of brown with a higher gloss than before.

10. FifthAve

FifthAve New Member

Because I'm a new member, SF didn't officially post my post until half a day when I actually posted this so I feel like I should bump this or else I don't think anyone saw it =(

11. dancingbear

dancingbear Senior member

Quick PSA for those considering MacNeils in shell. I read here that the shell ran larger than calf, but I am surprised how great the difference is.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The pictures above show the width difference between the MacNeil in Navy calf and Burgundy shell.

The shell are at least half and inch looser and that has grown some as they have broken in. The calf have 12 or so wearings while the shell only 4.

12. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Where are the shell MacNeils half an inch looser? The regular calf MacNeils are too tight around my pinky toe area because of the clipped toe, but seem to fit my foot well in every other direction. Perhaps this can be my solution!

13. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I received the replacement for the 10.5D strands today and they fit better but my heel is slipping. I am wearing a 12B, should I size down to a 11.5B?

14. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Here are the rest of the pics from the new AE stuff.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chris

15. dancingbear

dancingbear Senior member

I was referring to the vamp, but the toe box is looser as well. I actually bought the navy calf during the 2 for 200 sale to feel out the size before dropping the money for the shell. The toe box was snug but workable on the calf. It did loosen up as they broke in. On the shell, it was roomier and perfectly sized. I noticed that right away when I tried them on in the store.

Caveat: these are size 15, but everything is relative, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.