1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I'm afraid at 14AA I can make no comments about size that would be relevant to any but a few dozen people on the planet. :facepalm:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  2. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

I wear a 13B in all of their other shoes and also a 13B in the Wilbert. Probably a good idea to try them on in a store before buying online though.

3. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I stopped by my local menswear / shoe store at lunch and they just received some Bourbon Flatirons. So I thought I would give my thoughts on this shoe and this color.

Flatiron - on the newer 333 last which has a more squared off toe (not too square, just more than traditional AE). I like the look, but I am going to have to get used to the more squared toe as I have worn the more traditional round toe for over 20 years. But I think this style could grow on me. I tried on the same size as 95% of my other AE shoes and the fit was great - not too narrow (like the 2 last) and perhaps just a tad more room width wise than the 5 last. I did notice it seemed to have more depth top to bottom as I could move my toes up and down more freely than most of my other AE's and the break across the toes had more give to it.

Bourbon color - it is great in my opinion. Sorry no pictures as my cell phone photos are not good at all. I put the shoe between a Walnut Strand and a Brown Parkway and a Brown Jermyn. You will not mistake the Bourbon for either the Walnut or the Brown. The Bourbon has less orange/red in it than the Walnut. And it looks like a very faded Brown. And the Bourbon shows off the burnishing very nicely. However, I have seen some variations in the new McTavish Cognac and there may be some variation among shoes in the Bourbon color. I have some older AE Bourbon (Sanford and Bridgeton from about 15-20 years ago) and this new Bourbon is not even close to that old Bourbon. My old AE Bourbons are much closer to the Walnut than the new Bourbon is.

They are getting some Bourbon Strands and that might be my next buy after seeing the photos posted here earlier.

Chris

4. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Would you say my previous photos were a good representation of what you see in person?

5. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

Had another great visit to the 6th Ave in NYC AE store last night. Back story is that, after returning from a relative's wedding, my wife left my Burgundy Cliftons (in their bags) on the floor in the bedroom. (she brought them in from the car and I didn't notice) Bad move as the bag, with it's drawstring closure and ominous shape, is like a magnet to my cat. Long story short, before i could intervene, my cat had scratched up the left shoe! It was so bad looking that I had to leave the house immediately and take a 45 minute walk before I blew up at my wife or the cat. These things happen and it's easy to freak out in the heat of the moment. When I got home, I sat down to assess the damage. Looked worse in the light. Pulled out the old Saphir Renovateur and went to work. I pretty got rid of 95% of the damage. (which is why i've got no pictures - there's no point) All that remained were about 5 or 6 pinhead size dots that looked like I poked it with a needle. The renovateur buffed most of it out. Unfortunately, I didn't have any cream or polish suitable for these shoes. Been fine with the renovateur thus far. So, since I needed to meet up with my tailor ANYWAY, it was time to hop the train last night and head for the city.

At the tailor's, he couldn't even notice the damage until he knew what he was looking for. Good sign!

Got to Allen Edmonds and, as usual, they were all super great. Ryan, the sales clerk took care of me and was asking Julie, the manager, about colors. "Julie! What color polish for the Burgundy Cliftons?" "Merlot!" she said as she was putting some boxes out. No hesitation. While I was there I figured i'd get some brown polish for my Stockbridges. "Julie, which brown for the Stockbridge?" "That's not brown, it's Chili." Spent a half hour or so talking to Julie and Ryan as well as trying on some loafers. Everyone is so nice there and there's no pressure to purchase anything. It's probably easier for me to get to the Short Hills, NJ store, but i'll continue to be a customer for life at that 6th ave store!

-J

6. gooter

gooter Senior member

Another pic of the Bayfields. Wearing them around the office to see how they feel.

[​IMG]

7. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

I went back to the store and they gave me another pair and they feel much better! Though I'm sure they're sick of seeing me in that store, they were really helpful.
    Interestingly, the Walnut is quite dark:
    [​IMG]

8. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Quote: Originally Posted by kentyman

Would you say my previous photos were a good representation of what you see in person?
    --------------------------

Yes, the Bourbon Strands you posted are very close to the color I saw on the Flatiron.

Chris

9. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Fantastic. The Jefferson's are one of my favorite wingtips from AE. [​IMG]

10. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

This phenomenon is actually pretty common. Sometimes you can gently pluck out the tiny leather plugs from the brogue holes using a toothpick. As for the age of the leather/shoe, etc. They are definitely new, no question. I suppose there could be a chance that one of the pieces of the shoe came from a slightly older batch of calfskin, but more than likely it is purely coincidence. If it is a slightly different texture/thickness, etc., then it probably just came from a different calfskin roll, and therefore isn't exactly the same as the pieces used for the rest of the shoe upper. The cutters are trained to match leather well, but obviously it isn't a perfect process. From the picture they look beautiful, and if you can pluck out the tiny leather plugs and then shine them with some walnut polish to take care of evening out the color within the brogue holes, you should be set.

11. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

Thank you and thanks for the help earlier!

12. mothball

mothball Senior member

Crosspost from the Epaulet thread: Black shell Dundees on their first day out.

[​IMG]

13. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Nice!! I really like mine.

14. gooter

gooter Senior member

15. Roger Everett

Roger Everett Senior member

Fed Ex pulled up to driveway at 5:20 this evening, with my Mayfairs. Think I'll keep my old ( budget minded ) ones around to get abused on cruises.

[ATTACHMENT=4258]000_0058.JPG (1,191k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]
    [ATTACHMENT=4259]000_0063.JPG (1,108k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Went too The local AE store during the sale, but didn't want the display pair, so they ordered them. Fit great, same 5 last as my 5ths and Stands. Now I just have to wait for a next occasion to take them for a walk.

Roger

I thought I was putting the pics. in, not a click to see, could someone tell me how to attachment, can be the pic.

16. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Well done, sir. Can't wait for my pair...

17. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Bayfields on this rainy Friday. These are about due for some heavy maintenance.

[​IMG]

18. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

This is an interesting pic since they are both on the 1 last--the broguing makes them look like different lasts.

19. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

How are these doing? Can you share a pic in the wild?

20. evolved

evolved Senior member

Those custom Delrays are aaammmmaaaazing [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.