1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seer

seer Senior Member

Craig reminds me of Steve McQueen.Way cool...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

2. seer

seer Senior Member

We should call him Bond, Chris Bond... Personally I like the new choices...

3. tv2177

tv2177 Distinguished Member

the Eagle County boot reminded me of....Red Wing...especially the tan color with the vibram-ish sole.

4. seer

seer Senior Member

Chris, one question - were there two other boots on the third page not pictured - Haight? With a Dainite sole and one with a "toby mini lug" sole? Do you remember what these looked like? Thanks

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

5. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Distinguished Member

The Bayfield has been listed as a closeout since March. I picked mine up back then for $199 and also the 5th. St. which was listed as "clearance" too. The 5th. St. is no longer listed as clearance so think they changed their mind on that one... There is a limited selection of Brown Bayfield sizes so looks they might mean it this time, and no black on the AE website anymore. I picked up my black Bayfield's during the 2 for $200 sale a couple of months ago and you can't tell they are seconds. If your thinking of getting the Bayfield, and I highly recommend them, I wouldn't hesitate and get it now. You could also check for seconds but if you end up with a defect and returning them your size may no longer be available as a first. You could also email AE and see what they say.

6. Cold Iron

Call it a day?!? With 5 colors of shell available? Oh that is so weak.... j/k [​IMG]

A few pages back I mentioned expanding my collection to plain toed shell boots and chukkas. A gentleman on here who's opinion I respect based on his posts PM'd me that he has all 5 colors of Alden shell chukkas. And took the time to explain the differences between the Alden shell and AE shell. Owning 6 pair of AE shell shoes & boots I agree 100% with what he said about AE shell, his assessment was spot on. Not that there is anything wrong with AE shell, just some of the differences between the two finished products. I need to start with one pair of Alden first but looks like that is the direction I am also headed.

When the Dundee came out earlier this year in cappuccino shell I hesitated because I was afraid it would fit more like the Malvern (which is too tight in the toe box on me) instead of the original Dundee. By the time the feedback from the wild came in and stated fit was the original Dundee the limited run was over. Insert kicking myself in the butt here. Several people had posted that the sales were so high AE was going to release the Dundee in the fall as part of the regular line. But from what I can see those sure do like the Malvern to me. Thanks Chris!

7. hohneokc

hohneokc Distinguished Member

I always try to use some AE cleaner/conditioner (unless suede or similar finish) on all my shoes before I wear them the first time. If suede or similar, I use AE spray waterproofer.

Chris

8. harorld

harorld Member

The detailing in the shoes are gorgeous. I might need to stop by their shop in midtown this week.

9. hohneokc

hohneokc Distinguished Member

If I remember correctly, those are suede chukka-like shoes, but they didn't appear to be as structured or as tall as the Malvern. The one of the left was a very dark brown suede that did not photograph well - just looked like a black blob.

Chris

10. Shiny

Shiny Senior Member

Cantons today. These have the Vibram commando sole. There is a chance of rain...

[​IMG]

11. seer

seer Senior Member

Thanks, I'm going to shoot for the Cronmok. It says they will be out Sept.15.

12. Jescha

Jescha Active Member

13. Cold Iron

The walnut shell from AE was a limited run and is no longer available unfortunately. If you can find a pair I'd jump on them. I love mine and got both the Strand and Dalton in walnut shell. The McAllister’s on the left are in walnut calf.

[​IMG]

Personal preference between the two more than anything. Final finish is one. And the brownish tint color of the AE #8 vs. the Alden #8 color. My Leeds are more brown than burgundy and I’m OK with that. My Cambridge are different yet and more burgundy (for the most part) which I actually prefer for that style shoe. Also the final finish of gloss vs. more of a matte. Nothing wrong with either one IMO. Again personal preference more than anything. You can't go wrong with either one and I like the idea of having some of both in the stable.

[​IMG]

As I don't actually own any Alden yet I can only go by what I've seen so far with limited exposure to Alden. If someone owns both they could give a better description than I.

14. Jigg

Jigg Senior Member

I like them! Which styles are those?

15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Distinguished Member

I have Alden #8 and black Shell and thinking of a pair AE walnut shell. Would you mind sharing his and your assessment of Alden and AE Shell?

I have shell from Alden and AE (and C&J) in numerous models, shoes and boots.

Alden and AE each get their shell form Horween, but each adds a different finish to their burgundy and black. In the end you have:

glossy black (Alden) v. somewhat opaque black - sometimes almost gray (AE)
    glossy burgundy/deep purple (alden) v. somewhat opaque burgundy/brown (AE)

If you have burgundy and black from each maker, and you make a side by side comparison (and I have), the difference in shine is rather stark (and again, some prefer a high shine (Alden) and some prefer a much more subdued shine (AE)). With respect to burgundy and black, personal preference plays into the equation. I prefer Alden's finish on its black and burgundy by a large margin, but that's just me.

Alden has 3 "exotic" shell colors (cigar, ravello, whiskey), and sometimes an additional exotic color (Color 4). AE has dark brown shell, but only in its Strand. AE from time to time offers limited runs in some other colors, as you know.

Hope this helps ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.