Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

You bet. And I have never seen a real picture of the Black Hills in black, thank you for that! There seems to be some variations in color and distressing on the walnut versions. Mine were pretty well distressed so I went ahead and treated them with HDLP and they are totally waterproof now. It actually brought out the variations more however. Which is great for a casual shoe but not so much as a Leeds foul weather replacement. Still I like them a lot for the fall and spring at work in bad weather and all year with jeans. With my black calf and shell Leeds-

[​IMG]

2. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

The Rutledge in brown is beautiful. I like the burnishing on the Walnut version, but the brown would be my pick if I were getting the Rutledge. Very sleek.

3. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Nice trio!

4. sartorialnoob

sartorialnoob Well-Known Member

Love it.

5. sartorialnoob

sartorialnoob Well-Known Member

As for the new, more colorful offerings, I agree they will gain a future customer base. I bought my first pair of AEs when I started my first law firm job. I was so impressed with the service, quality, and comfort that I keep going back. The people joining the workforce with less demanding dress codes still want nice footwear. These new colors and designs are a great way to get them in the door. Then, in a few years when they grow up, AE will still have some very classic designs to sell them.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I go 1/2 size down in the Strand. Just order 2 sizes and send one back.

7. sevenfoldtieguy

From what I have seen on here lately, I can comfortably say the forum is not above this. Some may like that; some may not. Just an observation ...

8. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

9. casusbelli

casusbelli Member

I'm thinking of getting one of AE's monk straps. Can someone with either the Neumora or the Norwich post some comments on the fit and the shoe in general? Which would be better for dressing down with nice jeans?

10. sevenfoldtieguy

The Norwich is easily more casual between the two.

11. delmar

delmar Senior member

I have the Norwich in calf and cordovan. The length is true to size but they run pretty narrow compared to other styles in the same size. Most of my AE's are 12E and that gives me adequate room to wear thicker socks--like the thickness of athletic crew socks, for instance--and still have room to wiggle my toes. But with the Norwich I must wear the wafer thin rayon socks to be really comfortable. These are my favorite shoes. They seem to have better arch support than any of my other AE's. They are a pleasure to walk in--my stride in these shoes is noticeably more smooth and even my posture is improved. One thing I'll mention is that my feet are relatively flat and wide, no arch, kind of like flippers--flat and wide, but not thick from top to bottom. My feet hit the sides of the shoes snugly, but when I cinch the strap to the tightest position it doesn't pull tight against the top of my foot, but that can be fixed with tongue pads. But if you have more normal feet that shouldn't be a problem. My pair in cordovan isn't as tight as the shoe in calf. You didn't mention the Lubbock, but I own a pair of those too. The fit and feel is exactly the same as the Norwich in calf. They are from the rough collection, maybe more dressed down than you had in mind. But I see that they are on sale for $219.00 right now.

12. LaFontaine

LaFontaine Member

Good evening gentleman. Been checking out the forums quite a bit lately, but finally decided to register and post. Figured this thread was as good enough as any to start posting in. So here goes.

First up are my Strands in walnut. Going on two years I've owned these now. They're like a fine wine; they get better with age.

[​IMG]

Earlier today I purchased a pair of Neumora's in dark brown. Haven't had a chance to wear them yet, but am definitely looking forward to it.

[​IMG]

13. scruffy

scruffy Member

Just my .02 worth, I wear a 10D in the Strand and ordered the same in the Neumora and they ran super big. I have just ordered them in a 9.5D and will see how they go.

14. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

Wow you really love AE plain bluchers! Beautiful collection! Kenilworth in your future?

15. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

Your blackhills have a really clean look compared to mine! Wearing them on rainy days...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.