Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iloveshoes

iloveshoes Senior member

+1

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

The big difference (so far) with Cole Haan, Coach, J&M, et al, is that their quality and price points were reduced significantly at the same time. They all moved production to India, and they managed the outsouring very poorly. There is a very discernible difference between their outsourced and previous products.

AE is still manufacturing their shoes the same way. All those crazy colored Neumoks are still going to be Goodyear welted and cost $250. I think the risk would be if they significantly expanded the "ae by Allen Edmonds" line of glued construction shoes. That would really be bad.

I do agree that there will be a lot of buyers regretting their decision to drop $250 on purple shoes in a few years.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

3. noinimod

noinimod Active Member

Gentlemen,

Can i have your thoughts on what Strand size i should be getting? I have no way to try them out physically. I printed out the shoe size chart AE provides on their website, used it, and my feet comes in at 8D. So, I think i might go with a 8.5D instead for extra wiggle room in the front.

My question is, will D be too narrow? I'm not sure if this is a useful reference, I wear loake/herring in 8F and normal sneakers in sz9. I have read quite a lot of conflicting thoughts on this. Some people say the #5 last is long and narrow; others say it is true to size.

Your help would be really appreciated, thank you all!

4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Something like this may go out of style in a few years (maybe more). Sure. Will I regret this purchase? Will l look back and think I should have put the $$$$ towards a "timeless" shoe? No. Just, no. There must wingtips in 57 shades of brown (I have a few myself). For some of us, it was time for a change. If those grey wingtips hit the shelves this fall, I'll probably buy those too (or maybe the Carmina version if I can get them)

[​IMG]

5. delmar

delmar Senior member

I don't have Strands but I have the McTavish and the Ridgeway, both use the 5-65 last. My size is 12E. I bought the McTavish in 11.5E and they are plenty long and wide with room to wiggle my toes--I think that if I had bought them in 12E they would be way too big. My Ridgeways are 12E and while they are roomy, they aren't too big. I think that I could've fit into an 11.5E too but to get a roomy feel I would need to wear dress socks and I wanted to wear more casual, thicker socks.

Contrast with the 2-222 last, I have the Lubbock and a couple pairs of the Norwich, they were unwearably tight in 11.5E and in 12E I have to wear the super thin rayon socks to be comfortable.

I also have the Leeds and the Finch in 12E on the 1-511 last and I would call the fit of these shoes perfect for me.

So my impressions of a few different lasts are that shoes built on the 2-222 last are going to be kind of tight, shoes built on the 1-511 are going to fit very well, and shoes made on the 5-65 are going to be on the loose side in both length and width. If I was going to buy a pair of Strands, I would start with a pair in 11.5E and I am pretty confident that it would be the right choice.

I don't have Strands but I hope that my impressions on the different lasts help in some way.

6. noinimod

noinimod Active Member

delmar, thank you for that detailed write-up. That was very helpful and kind of you. The information will definitely serve as a useful reference when i get more AEs in the future ;)

7. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

No, this is incorrect. Go true to size on the Strands. The McTavish and the Ridgeway fit a half size larger than the other 5-last shoes, due to their different, unlined leathers. There is a lot of discussion regarding how these shoes run larger than the Strands.

Do some searches on those models in this thread, and you'll see. Or else order both sizes and return the one that does not fit. AE offers free shipping both ways now.

8. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I really like my Black Hills - great business casual / casual shoe and good for rainy days.

[​IMG]

Chris

9. delmar

delmar Senior member

McTavish and Ridgeway are lined leather uppers.

10. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

ah, my apologies. Did I mix them up with the Neumok?

11. zchen

zchen Senior member

My experience with shoes (Cambridge, Shell Strand, McTavish, and Elgin) in that last for the best fit is go half size down and 1 up in width, true to size would also work but you may not be able to lace the top together as close. Do not go up.

12. delmar

delmar Senior member

noinimod was thinking about sizing up to ensure roominess and I don't think doing that would be necessary. I switch between 11.5E and 12E depending on style because my feet are kind of in between the two sizes.

The Neumoks are huge and floppy, I didn't like that unlined feel.

13. norite

norite Member

To give you something to compare your situation with, I wear 8.5 for regular sneakers. I went down a size and up a width for the 5 last. So I purchased Strands in 7.5E. If I were you, I would go 8.5D or 8E.

14. gooter

gooter Senior member

Has anyone seen the Rutledge in brown? I have only seen the walnut and the black. I am trying to decide what colour to get in this shoe so any input would be appreciated. In terms of "dress" shoes, I have the McAllister in black and the Strand in walnut.

15. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Yeah, I misread and botched this. Ignore what I said.. :embar:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.