1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcass

mcass Well-Known Member

First, a big kudos to bucksfan and those who mentioned to call down to Brian at the Jeffersonville, OH outlet. I stopped in yesterday. Brian was great - spent nearly an hour with me finding the right fit and the right shoes for me. Walked away with Fifth Aves, Bayfields, Cortlands, and Sanfords. Brian is truly superb. Not only was his service top notch, but he's extremely knowledgeable on proper fitting and the AE line. Much more so than any other AE rep I've purchased from previously.

Picked up Bayfields for $130 yesterday. Not sure how normal this is though. I would call Brian and see if they have any others.

Note: They had a leather sole, not rubber - but for just starting out (23 years old), it's a quality start that I can recraft to a rubber sole later. Plus Cincinnati fall/winters are not horrible.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

I ordered my Strands from endless in walnut yesterday :). With the $100 off it is a great deal for $220 for firsts. I cannot wait! These will be my best shoes I've ever had by far.

1 person likes this.
  3. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

Just picked up a brown pair on Sunday and love 'em.

4. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I was tempted on the Bayfields - but with a new pair of Daltons, a new pair of Alden shell cordovan cap-toe boots, and a new pair of 5th Streets, along with a pair of (yard) work boots and a pair of snow boots, I think I might not need more...

5. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Darn, I completely forgot that they shoes were narrow! The Van Ness seem to have broken in nicely after about 10 wear but I am really worried. Do you think I should send these Lombards back and get a size up?

6. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

One of my favorite shoes, for sure, enjoy.

1 person likes this.
  7. dieselman89

Also I enjoy wearing the rubber soles since I work in a restaurant/hotel and there are usually slipper floors so its nice not to have leather soled shoes.

8. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I'd just try them on around the house, and see how they fit - they might be fine.

9. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Leather sole is better IMO, unless you have a specific reason to need rubber (i.e.: work on your feet all day, outside in snow, etc..) You can always have a topy put on the outside of the sole.

10. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

^^ agree, if you get the leather sole wet, just let it dry out before you wear it again.

1 person likes this.
  11. the_drizzle

the_drizzle Senior member

Do they only sell Bayfield seconds with leather soles?

12. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Interesting question.. I just looked on their site, and it only shoes rubber soles. Is it possible that the leather sole is an outlet-only or made for a specific retailer (e.g.: similar to how the Clifton is only at Nordstrom) model?

13. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

Is the Dalton on sale anywhere around there?

14. mcass

mcass Well-Known Member

Yes, this was a custom one-off for a customer. Not sure if he returned it or what happened. Regardless, a very nice boot.

15. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

16. Karl_in_Chicago

Karl_in_Chicago Well-Known Member

* Finally got to my local store today to try on some of the new models. First up was the Amok chukka's. Unfortunately these only come in D width and I couldn't find a combo that worked for me. I'm normally a perfect 10E in most AE shoes but the 10.5D was still too narrow in the ball and the 11 was just way too long. Oh well.

* Next up was the North Platte. While this is also D only it's on a different last and the 10.5D fit quite well - so I picked up a pair. It's like a marriage of the Dalton and the Bayfield (both of which I have and love).

* Finally - while I was talking to my SA's they told me they just got word that both the Strand and the Dalton would be getting Walnut Shell Cordovan as an option soon (like December). They pulled up the email with pic's of each for me - very nice. The senior SA says they sometimes used to refer to that particular combo as "whiskey" color, which I can see. Unfortunately I already have both those shoes IN Walnut and can't see picking up a near identical pair, despite how much I love Shell. For any of you other Shell lovers that were considering Walnut Strands or Daltons you might want to ask your SA. He mentioned that there might be a pre-order discount.

17. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Wow...that's very cool news!! That may be the perfect excuse to pick up the strand in walnut. My only wingtip shoe is the Tresana in cabernet.

18. ddsg

ddsg Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how long it takes for the shoe bank to email an order confirmation? Placed an order by phone this morning and haven't heard anything from them.

19. dieselman89

Exactly why I purchased rubber soled shoes. The research I did on SF and other websites suggested the the Executive collect/Rubber sole shoes are more for work. I also walk in water alot due to the fact that I work in a hotel/restaurant and the floors are constantly being mopped to be cleaned. If thats not the case I suggest purchasing leather. Leather is a much sharper and refined look. However, its debatable which one has more durability. I purchased some Strands and put toppy's on them (replaced the leather) as I was planning on wearing these shoes to work regularly but ended up changing my mind and now I seldomly wear them. I kind of regret putting the toppys on such a beautiful leather but thats an alternative to consider if you are in wet conditions and on your feet alot.

20. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I wholeheartedly agree. My preference for leather soles is strictly aesthetic. If you have a legitimate need for rubber soles, they make sense. I actually tried the Lombard, but it didn't fit me well. But it is a good looking shoe with the rubber sole, especially in Walnut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.