Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seer

seer Senior member

Ok, thanks

2. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

I was told september last week when I asked...same with the 15-20%. The nordstrom deal is still better so I wouldnt wait to get something if it is on sale now.

3. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Well if you are buying something that Nordstrom carries... no doubt. $200 Strands is 40% off. However when you can get the independence collection or even cordovans for 15-20% off, hell... thats a lot better than most "deals" out there. Cordovan for mid $400's or Rutledges for the price of regular calfs... yep, i'm sold.

4. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Visited an AE store tonight in pursuit of my elusive rubber soled loafer, for comfort and use in inclement weather. I ended up getting a pair of leather soled Verona and paying full price. I probably tried on six different pairs of loafers, including all of the rubber-soled Italian loafers and the Sanibel, which is a handsewn made in the USA.

A couple observations:

The Verona, even with its leather sole, is noticeably the most comfortable of all the loafers I tried. I was really surprised. But it's the Bologna construction that makes it so great with the leather sole. It just fits like a glove. The shoes featuring the mini lug sole are not as comfortable.

Also, I looked at a lot of different shoes from several different makers. For a blake-stitched or Bologna constructed shoe, there is nothing of this build quality at even double the price of the AEs. You have to get into the $800 range for Ferragamos (Tramezza) or Ballys (Scribe) to get a shoe this well made - all the big name designer shoes, including those two brands, look and feel incredibly cheap compared to these at even $500. It is really impressive what AE has done in this category - there is nothing close.

They also had the Luccas on sale for $165 - these have the lug sole, and come in brown and black suede. I am probably going to pick up one of them as a casual shoe.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012

5. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Also, the SA told me that there is a Cordovan version of the Dalton coming soon! He said he saw the orders in the system. No word on colors or delivery date.

Didn't they do a Cordovan Dalton last year? Apparently there will be a second chance at them.

6. delmar

delmar Senior member

I just took the plunge and ordered a pair of red, white, and blue McAllisters. Maybe I should change my name from delmar to Captain America.

7. facet

facet Senior member

Did you ever try the rubber soled version of the Kenwoods? If so, what did you think of them?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012

8. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I didn't, because I didn't want a beefroll loafer. It's on the same last as the Sanibel, which I tried. I like the design, but that shape is too tight in the toe box for me. But it looks to be very well made.

9. zchen

zchen Senior member

333 last is like 5 last in terms of length, but 333 has a sleeker toe box, Just my observation (I own Cordovan Cambridge, Strands, and Neumora).

10. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Not sure about this. I tried on the larchmont .5 smaller than my strands and got a pretty similar fit. My forefoot was swimming in my normal strand size. Best for you to find a chance to try it on in person, everyone's foot shape is different

11. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Haha, definitely post pics when you get them!

12. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

now thats something i would like to see... i am going to need a boot for fall/winter, however i've really been warming up to Alden's wingtip blucher boot.

yea yea i know this is AE thread but these in ravello

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me..._m_9_eyelet_wing_tip_boot_shell_cordovan.html

or these if i don't go with shell

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...mxsbd-44618_ald_m_9_eyelet_wing_tip_boot.html

we'll see how the dalton looks... i would love a cap toe bal boot in color 8 for "dress" but realistically, i'll get better casual wear out of a boot, so either of the two above are more than suitable candidates.

13. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Yes in Walnut shell, the Strand was also offered in walnut shell. I have both. Wonder what color they will be when they come out.

[​IMG]

14. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I agree, the Verona is a doll. I'm always considering picking it up full price every time I go to the AE store. If I had not seen it on sale last year I would have already. Come on sale! :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

15. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

I don't have a pair of AE but looking at these definetly makes me want to get a pair [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.