1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I have had real problems with this in the past, to the point that I am a bit hesitant to buy loafers. I really like them, but I have had two experiences with loafers fitting well in the store and then loosening up over a couple of months worth of wear to the point that they began to slip on my heels. I started to develop a bad habit of curling my toes like I was subconsciously trying to "grip" the bottom of the shoe while I was walking. By the end of the work day my feet would ache because of it, and I learned later that it is not healthy for the feet to do this. I don't think that there is a universal rule, but the SA told me last time that I should make sure the shoes are on the border of being uncomfortably snug/tight when trying them on in the store. This may mean a half size down or more, depending on how they feel and the last type.

2. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

+1. I also use Woodlore medium shoe trees in all of my 9D shoes including the Fifth Streets.

3. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Thanks--that's what I'm worried about but I already ordered the same size. Will probably end up trading for a half size down.

4. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

So is the Patriot the best loafer from AE? How is it better than the Kenwood? Also, would loafers be better suited for the spring/summer for a place like Toronto?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  5. PsylentStorm

PsylentStorm Active Member

I'd definitely love to see the Walnut Players. Interested in them myself.

6. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

You can wear them during the fall and winter too IMO. I think you just need to stick to darker colors.

Some other observations. I think the Kenwood is a beefroll penny and it is a handsewn shoe compared to the Patriot which is a Goodyear welted shoe.

7. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

Do you think that'll fix it?
    They don't make any narrow sizes.

8. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

It is in my opinion because I prefer penny loafers to tassel loafers, and among penny loafers, I prefer non-full strap and non-beef roll. The Alden LHS is my personal favorite, and the Patriot is the closest AE has come to it.

Better suited than lace ups, or better suited for spring/summer than year round?

9. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

Any thoughts about the Patriot with jeans?

10. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

The Patriot is available in B (narrow) width. I ordered 11B (my normal size in 5 and 8 last). If it's too floppy I'll try 10.5B.

11. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

It would look awesome--it's how I plan to wear mine half the time.

12. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

Interesting, narrow widths are not available in smaller sizes (I'm an 8)

13. MoneyWellSpent

I would add for a different perspective that many people feel that the hand-sewn moccasin constructed loafers like the Kenwood are more comfortable though. That is why alot of the companies out of Maine, like Quoddy, have such a cult following. Many say to go after the goodyear welted options due to their durability/recraftability. However, the Kenwood is recraftable, so that arguement breaks down a bit. I think it is a case of subjectivity and to each their own.

14. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

This is a fair point, and one that I did not consider.

15. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

+1 to the "on the border of being uncomfortably snug/tight" initial sizing. They become comfortablly snug after you break them in.

Heel slippage is the last thing you'd want when wearing loafers

16. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

It's a new model loafer. Similar to the Alden LHS. (Blatant ripoff?)

I think it's tied with the Westchester for the title of best AE loafer.

I started a thread on the Patriot last week:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/317034/thoughts-on-the-new-ae-patriot-loafer/0_30

17. MoneyWellSpent

So here is a random question... does anyone have experience with some of their AE's molding to your feet better than others? I don't think there should be any real difference between models in the thickness of the cork layer under the insole that would lead to this. However, I have found that my Finches have molded to my feet wonderfully, and are by far my most comfortable pair of AE's, whereas others don't seem to have molded nearly as much. Just curious about some other's experiences.

18. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

19. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thank you, and the wait is usually worth it when your waiting for those things your really want.

20. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Price is certainly better, and construction is decent.

Also, AE's tend to fit me better because virtually every model comes in EEE width.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.